• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Injuries and updates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

Six defensive starters held out with injuries

No. 13 USF began preparations for Saturday's game at N.C. State with more than half its defensive starters held out with lingering soreness and injuries.

Only one -- linebacker Brouce Mompremier, who is out indefinitely as he recovers from a neck injury -- is definitely out for Saturday, and USF coach Jim Leavitt said he'll know Wednesday about the rest: defensive end George Selvie, defensive tackles Terrell McClain and Aaron Harris, cornerback Tyller Roberts and safety Carlton Williams.

"We usually wait until about Wednesday's practice," Leavitt said. "If they're really hobbling Wednesday ... then probably normally if they don't practice Wednesday, 80 percent they don't (play). We're going to prepare everybody else as if these guys aren't playing, and then we'll see."

With Mompremier out, USF has shifted strongside linebacker Tyrone McKenzie to the weak side, and junior Chris Robinson will step in as the starter at strongside, according to defensive coordinator Wally Burnham. USF has worked primarily in a nickel package with five defensive backs and only two linebackers, and junior Kion Wilson, the starter at middle linebacker, was lined up next to McKenzie on the first unit in 7-on-7 drills Monday.

"Last game, we had five starters out on defense the entire fourth quarter, and a lot of the third," said Leavitt, whose team gave up nine points in the final three minutes of a 17-9 win against FIU. "That's why I was really proud of the defense, what they did hanging in there."

With reserve Alonzo McQueen sidelined with a boot on his left foot, the Bulls have just four healthy linebackers they'll use Saturday, with sophomore Sabbath Joseph backing up all three positions.

Who else would step up if the starters can't go? Quenton Washington was working with the first defense at cornerback, and senior Louis Gachette had Williams' spot at safety -- both of those have played significantly in USF's first four games. Defensive line is anyone's guess, as the top reserve at defensive tackle, Sampson Genus, was also held out of drills with an ankle injury that kept him out against FIU.

-- USF's coaches shed a little more light on Mompremier, saying team doctors likely won't evaluate his neck for another week or two, deciding then when or if he would return to the team.

"We're going to wait a week, two weeks," Leavitt said. "Does the Lord heal him tomorrow? I don't know. We're going to take it day by day, take time, see how he is, how the neck feels, and we'll go from there. There's no real answers. None."

Burnham said he spoke with Mompremier and his spirits were good, but it's too early to start thinking about his future on the football field.

"He's doing good, thank God," Burnham said. "He doesn't know what the future holds for him right now. That part of it is so far removed from what he's going through, I don't know that he's thought about it. ... People have had these kinds of injuries and come back, but you don't know how severe it is."

-- Walk-on linebacker Houston Hess, USF's top special-teams tackler for the past two seasons, is no longer with the team, Leavitt said.

Leavitt said he took Hess off USF's kickoff coverage team after the Bulls gave up a 91-yard touchdown to UCF's Joe Burnett three weeks ago. Hess, who had 24 career tackles, including four in USF's first two games, would have still played on USF's punt and kickoff return units.

"He's never come to see me," Leavitt said. "I took him off kickoff team, and that's the last I saw of him. He didn't show up for practice, so I assume that he didn't want to play football anymore."

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/09/six-defensive-s.html

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,461

6 out is pretty amazing. Hopefully we get some guys back on Wednesday.

At least a couple would be helpful.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Wow, this doesn't sound good.

I don't like the way they're talking about Brouce. He must not be real well yet. Maybe some cracked vertebrae or something? Doesn't sound good at all.

As for the rest, can we win a game with 3-4 backups playing key positions? Not to sound insensitive, but I don't think we lose a lot at LB with Robinson in there, he'll be fine filling in for Brouce. Gachette is probably OK filling in for Williams, but it's still a little scary. Q better be ready if Tyller can't go, I'd like to see more man coverage, mix it up maybe, we're much better with 3 LBs if we can do it.

Wow, I am more nervous now than I have been in the last couple of seasons. This is a must-win game (they all are though), and we're really banged up. I guess it is time for Gregory to open up the offense and put some serious points on the board, this thing could turn into a shootout.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I am really amazed at the Houston Hess part of that report. We need him playing on special teams-- the kid is a gamer.

Um, apparently, the kid was a gamer.

• Content Count:  3,403

When could Hermann return?  Was it after the bye week after the Pitt game (Syracuse)?

it was 6-8 weeks after the foot surgery-- which was last Wednesday

That didn't sound right because he didn't start against Kansas, either, so I looked it up on Greg's blog.  It was the previous Wednesday and it was "at least 4 weeks."  That would mean he could return for the Syracuse game after 5 and a half weeks.  The Pitt game would be only 3 weeks since it's on a Thursday.

Greg also has an injury update on his blog:  http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/09/six-defensive-s.html

Apparently Harris was also held out of practice, along with McClain, Selvie, C. Williams, and Tyller Roberts.  Sampson Genus is still injured as well.  Wednesday is the day we'll find out if they will play, supposedly.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

NC State is dealing with pretty much the same amount of significant injuries with their top defender and playmaking QB out along with a few others.

Both teams will be limping into this game.

On a note relative to Brouce's injury.... how about the severe neck injury to Dante Love of Ball State. This kid was a potential All-American and NFL prospect. He, along with Nate Daivs, their QB, defined that offense. Thankfully, the coaches/doctors said he will live a "healthy and happy" life but he most likely won't be able to play football again.

Just sad.

• Content Count:  292

Why so many ankle injuries this year?  New shoes??  Seems change we have had such a rash of ankle injuries this year after switching over to UA shoes.  I've heard that they aren't the best and that many would prefer other brands. 

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I am really amazed at the Houston Hess part of that report. We need him playing on special teams-- the kid is a gamer.

quite obviously not much of a "gamer" if he quit

• Content Count:  1,478

Why so many ankle injuries this year?  New shoes??  Seems change we have had such a rash of ankle injuries this year after switching over to UA shoes.  I've heard that they aren't the best and that many would prefer other brands. 

I'm not impressed with the quality of the jerseys either. Nike makes better stuff

Archived