• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (KU @ USF)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  64
  • Days Won:  0

The good (Vegas Line)

How scary is it that Vegas (and most of the commentators) got the line dead on…“Expect a high scoring game with USF by 3 pointsâ€.

Our offence - The first quarter was a bit sluggish but once we started moving the ball we looked great. Grothe had another good game and I was impressed with the way he kept his cool and got the offence moving late in the second quarter.

KU offence - That Todd Reesing guy also played a good game. I agree that he will be the best quarterback we face all year.

Our kicking - Special kudos to Bonani. He still has a lot to prove but way to win the game for us. Alvarado also did a great job at sticking that put on the 7yrd line. All three of our kickers still have a lot of work to do but I feel like we defiantly heading in the right direction.

The Bad (The Defense)

George Selvie finally got his sack and for the most part the D-line worked their asses off but…I can’t help but feel like we are loosing our edge on defense. What ever happened to all the take always, the forced fumbles, the hard hits, and the excitement from the defense. Our secondary needs to step up their game a little bit. With Selvie double-teamed on EVERY play, we need someone on the other side to make a few plays. KU might be one of the best offence we will play all year but our defense needs to step it up a little.

The Ugly (extra curricular)

Was it just me or was there a lot of ****ing complaining and discussion between plays. The biggest example was Grothe jumping up and down like and kangaroo when he had to call a time out because the call wasn’t coming in from the sideline fast enough (I think that was what it was). Or when some wide receiver breaks off his route Grothe calling him out. Or when Grothe sails the ball too high, the receiver calling out Grothe.

We all know someone screwed up but calling each other out like that looks pretty bad…you might even say “UGLYâ€

What made your list

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Wow, I can't think of a game with bigger hits. That was a top 5 offense last year. There were some holes, but I wouldn't say our defense was "bad".

As for the "ugly", I am torn on this one. I see Hill and Grothe going at it a bit, but then you see Hill talking MG up in the news paper also. As long as it is one play, then they are good again, I am fine with it. Grothe is a field general, and never more than this year. I like that he calls receivers out when they screw up. What's he supposed to say to Mitchell who had 2 drops and cut a TD route short/didn't put any effort into that route? "no worries buddy, maybe the 4th time's a charm". Come on, he is busting his @$$ out there to help this team win, and he needs to get everything out of the other guys.

Like I say, as long as it isn't carrying over off the field, or after the series, I think it's fine.

By the way, after CMs first drop, MG went right back to him...which he dropped again. Second one wasn't an easy play, but it hit him in the hands.

Sorry, but everyone is quick to point out MGs flaws, and he needs help out there, I think this hugely shows his maturity as a QB...The coaches, fans, media, and team has put it all on his shoulders, so they need to help him succeed.

On another note, MG looks 10000x more comfortable in the pocket this year.

• Content Count:  1,797

I want a fiery competitor at QB and so does this team.  I guess what you want is "Gosh Mr. Hill, it sure would be nice if you could possibly, maybe run that route the way I called it so we could have a pass completion.  Oh, I'm sorry if I hurt your tender feelings."  ::)

Normal

Don't mean to bash MG. He defiantly looks a lot better this year. He commands the game well and the players seem to respond. I just think we are on that fine line between playing with emotion (which our entire teams does) and a little over the top. With all that said, if that is the team dynamic and we keep winning, I am a happy camper.

As for the defense…we didn’t look that good. KU is a one dimensional team…or at least we shut their running game down pretty early. If we were to play a more balance team we will have trouble

• Content Count:  3,403

Yeah, I'm not understanding where all this criticism of Matt Grothe is coming from.  Hes the MVP of our team and a Heisman candidate (which we'd have to go undefeated for, but still).  I think Grant Greg could be solid and BJ Daniels is the future but the way people jump on anything Grothe does lately is just baffling.  Are you guys watching the same games the rest of us are?  The rest of the nation?  He's turning into a leader.  You tell your teammates what to do better.

As for the defense:  yeah, our secondary was getting torched so we made the adjustment to play man coverage.  Burnham admitted that perhaps they stuck with that a little too long (because Kansas adjusted), but it definitely worked for our 31 unanswered point streak.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Don't mean to bash MG. He defiantly looks a lot better this year. He commands the game well and the players seem to respond. I just think we are on that fine line between playing with emotion (which our entire teams does) and a little over the top. With all that said, if that is the team dynamic and we keep winning, I am a happy camper.

As for the defense…we didn’t look that good. KU is a one dimensional team…or at least we shut their running game down pretty early. If we were to play a more balance team we will have trouble

I do worry about our defenses ability to stop a power runner (same as every year). My guess is that if we played a more balanced team, we wouldn't see quite so much of the nickle defense. I am not sure if Kion Wilson is ready to step up yet, we'll find out when we play one of those teams.

I think I saw one defense last night with Brouce as the only LB on the field. I think they got a penalty, and T-Mac came back out before they ran a play. I was nervous on that one though.

• Content Count:  92

I think a big reason for that was the excellent protection he received.  I thought they really stepped it up in this game.

Yeah, I'm not understanding where all this criticism of Matt Grothe is coming from.  Hes the MVP of our team and a Heisman candidate (which we'd have to go undefeated for, but still).  I think Grant Greg could be solid and BJ Daniels is the future but the way people jump on anything Grothe does lately is just baffling.  Are you guys watching the same games the rest of us are?  The rest of the nation?  He's turning into a leader.  You tell your teammates what to do better.

As for the defense:  yeah, our secondary was getting torched so we made the adjustment to play man coverage.  Burnham admitted that perhaps they stuck with that a little too long (because Kansas adjusted), but it definitely worked for our 31 unanswered point streak.

i am not sure why every one is so quick to defend the guy. Yes he is good QB, and Yes he is our MVP. but you ever thought that screming your head out to a team make on TV might make him a little on edge. i am all for making the guy know that he screwed up but jumping and yelling and screaming is not always the most effective way. you might be surprised how much better calling a guy on the side between plays and say ing a calm voice "Catch The ****ING Ball" might be.

I think a big reason for that was the excellent protection he received.  I thought they really stepped it up in this game.

i agree. if we can stay healthy and with a few easier games before we start Big East play. Our Offence is def in good shape. lots of weapons passing and running and a line that is geeting better every time they play. We are finnaly putting all the parts together

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

The Ugly (extra curricular)

Was it just me or was there a lot of ****ing complaining and discussion between plays. The biggest example was Grothe jumping up and down like and kangaroo when he had to call a time out because the call wasn’t coming in from the sideline fast enough (I think that was what it was). Or when some wide receiver breaks off his route Grothe calling him out. Or when Grothe sails the ball too high, the receiver calling out Grothe.

We all know someone screwed up but calling each other out like that looks pretty bad…you might even say “UGLY”

I was going to comment on that last night...been seeing a lot of that so far this year.  It's like every missed play someone seems to be blaming, or pointing to, the other guy.  I'll leave names out of it since we really don't know how these guys interact.  But on the surface, they seem to "point fingers" a lot.  Maybe it's part of the competitive nature and striving to be the best.  As long as the between play analysis doesn't become a negative blight on this team it's no big deal.

Archived