• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Johnny Peyton

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

The calls and formations when we got the ball at the TWO yard line for first down. SUCKED!!!!!!!!

I blame our OC for those calls.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

really which of his numbers do you have a problem with?

wins?

total passing yds?

total rushing yds?

TD to TO ratio?

Dont get me wrong, I dont think he was a bad QB by any means...

And he was the best this program has had....

But he wasnt this "savior" at the QB that some make him out to be.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

When I talked about hall I didnt mean we need to run everytime fellas. He had 14 carries for 62 yards,granted one carry was for 26 yards, but that proves that he has capability to break it. I really like looks of Peyton and I totally think he needs more touches. But at the same time only 14 carries for your best rb is not enough in my mind. Plus we ran qb sneaks a couple of times when I couldnt understand why? But anyways wanted to clarify my statement about hall. We will be fine just made to many mistakes, mainly INT's that cost us this past game. Were young but I like the talent level of are young players!! Go Bulls 8)

Halls run of 26 yards was after the score was 20-3, and USM dropped into a more traditional package.  I wouldn't say a prevent defense they just backed off expecting us to pass more to try and come from behind.  Hall rattled off the run when there wasn't 9 men in the box.  Thereby proving the point that in the early going if we could have established a modicum of a passing offense then Hall could have had a bigger night.  Now if you asked why we didn't catch him in pass paterns out of the backfield in the early going more that would be more legitimate.

Johnny Peyton should touch the ball more, but he's also one receiver, and we've seen four guys that have stepped up as well in front of him in Bain, Green, Garris, and Chambers.  Only so much balls to go around especially when PJ is only hitting about 45% of his passes.  Peyton did have 5 catches for like 55 yards, and would have had a six for a TD if he caught that nice slant that PJ threw (one of the good passes PJ did throw that was dropped).

Peyton's skills are evident, so are Chambers.  Garris' hands are a bit suspect but his speed and elusiveness is amazing.  Get these guys the ball and good things will happen but you need to look at PJ.  We will not win many games throwing 3 yard passes to those guys.  We must extend the field and go down field and PJ must make those passes.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

So I take it that Gipson is officially back on defense full time then?

That move (despite the interference penalty) makes sense as BG seemed to be having trouble catching. The apparent loss of Johnny Jones at USC may have made it a necessity to fill some holes in the defensive backfield (not that he is a safety-- that's where Danny Verpaele is playing).

We seem to be having trouble getting pressure on the QB as well. USM had a huge OL (most are huge these days)-- so I'm starting to wonder if we are little undersized on the D-line at this point-- the speed factor isn't producing the pressure we've seen before.

Oh well-- it's still early in the season. 2-2 is not a bad start all things considered and bowl chances may still be possible if we can post a 4-2 record against the rest of the schedule or get past Pitt. At this point-- I would take 7-4 in a heartbeat. 6-5 seems more like what we are looking at though unless we can get this offense working consistently.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

SBien wrote:

Only so much balls to go around especially when PJ is only hitting about 45% of his passes.

This and the INTs are the difference in a 3-1 start with the one loss being a competitive game in Columbia.  This team's major problem is the QB's arm.  Its that simple.  Penalties would be second followed by offensive play calling.  The Bulls gotta get PJ consistent in his passes and eliminate the TOs.  If he could become a 52%-55% passer w/only one INT per game, a 6-1 finish is possible, 5-2 likely.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Dont get me wrong, I dont think he was a bad QB by any means...

And he was the best this program has had....

But he wasnt this "savior" at the QB that some make him out to be.

my point is how DO you judge a "savior" and does he or doesn't he meet those standards?