• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taurus Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

How many TD's did he have vs Tenn-Martin?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

3-2 TD/INT ratio is still not there yet.  if he ends the season with 1 more TD than INT again, this season will not live up to expectations.

he certainly racked up yards and came up with big plays when we needed them, but that INT in the 4th was as bad a play as a QB can make [and as bad a play as the coaching staff can call].  that 1st quarter pass to Ced was also poorly thrown, and as Shoop noted in his breakdown of the UCiF game, Grothe still keys in too much on his main receiver.  he still needs to get better at seeing the field.

that said, TJ, Ced and Jesse are solid in the pass game, and Grothe is definetely improving in getting them the ball.

there is absolutely no reason our offense shouldn't break last year's records with the talent we have at wideout and in the backfield.

I love you stat junkies that don't think about how things happened. One pick was on a wrong route where the receiver made him look foolish. The other was on a horrible play call where he was under a lot of pressure (as everyone on earth knew UCF would blitz) with no one in the backfield to pick up the blitz. I actually think his worst throw was the near pick where he was trying to throw the ball into the ground and it didn't really get down fast enough.

Two games in, he has made maybe 4 bad throws, and all people look at are the stats that don't tell the whole story.

Also, whoever said "show up at a big game"...seriously? WVU, Auburn, WVU, Pitt 06, UCF 06, 08.

As for TJ, he is looking very solid. I for one wasn't sold on him 100% last year, he needs to keep working, and make sure that he never gives up on plays. He is doing it so far this year, and I am happy to see that out of him. He is a dangerous weapon.

• Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

Coming into the season I thought TJ would be our most productive WR and vs. UCF he looked like our hands down #1.

Look for TJ and Ced to be Grothe's main targets the rest of the year.

• Content Count:  919

I have long thought TJ was our best receiver.  Our only true gamebreaker.  Glad to see him starting out 08 like that.  I still think he should be returning punts. 

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

3-2 TD/INT ratio is still not there yet.  if he ends the season with 1 more TD than INT again, this season will not live up to expectations.

he certainly racked up yards and came up with big plays when we needed them, but that INT in the 4th was as bad a play as a QB can make [and as bad a play as the coaching staff can call].  that 1st quarter pass to Ced was also poorly thrown, and as Shoop noted in his breakdown of the UCiF game, Grothe still keys in too much on his main receiver.  he still needs to get better at seeing the field.

that said, TJ, Ced and Jesse are solid in the pass game, and Grothe is definetely improving in getting them the ball.

there is absolutely no reason our offense shouldn't break last year's records with the talent we have at wideout and in the backfield.

I love you stat junkies that don't think about how things happened. One pick was on a wrong route where the receiver made him look foolish. The other was on a horrible play call where he was under a lot of pressure (as everyone on earth knew UCF would blitz) with no one in the backfield to pick up the blitz. I actually think his worst throw was the near pick where he was trying to throw the ball into the ground and it didn't really get down fast enough.

Two games in, he has made maybe 4 bad throws, and all people look at are the stats that don't tell the whole story.

Also, whoever said "show up at a big game"...seriously? WVU, Auburn, WVU, Pitt 06, UCF 06, 08.

As for TJ, he is looking very solid. I for one wasn't sold on him 100% last year, he needs to keep working, and make sure that he never gives up on plays. He is doing it so far this year, and I am happy to see that out of him. He is a dangerous weapon.

At that point, sliding and just taking the sack, or throwing it away would have been a better play than trying to force a pass in. I know taking the sack doesn't sound like the best play, but it would have kept the clock running and the worst case scenario, we punt away, and force them to complete a long drive.

At that point, sliding and just taking the sack, or throwing it away would have been a better play than trying to force a pass in. I know taking the sack doesn't sound like the best play, but it would have kept the clock running and the worst case scenario, we punt away, and force them to complete a long drive.

I agree, throwing it away wasn't an option though because Grothe didn't even have time to get out of the pocket. That was a quick breakdown, and there was no reason to be throwing anyway. A 1-yard run keeps the clock rolling as well. That pick is definitely on him, but you just have to consider the situation when you look at the stats. My feeling is that GG put him in a bad spot, knowing they were going to blitz, taking away the RB in the backfield that could have possibly picked it up, and throwing a pass on second down while trying to run the clock.

• Content Count:  4,501

Sold on TJ last year ?

You do remember he was hurt for over a third of the season.

Sold on TJ last year ?

You do remember he was hurt for over a third of the season.

I made this comment a while back, and have been proven wrong time and time again, but I didn't feel like he "brought it" to the WVU game. Thats when I lost a little faith. I like the kid, just didn't get the "go to/Number 1" vibe off of him that night (as he watched 2 of Grothe's passes get picked right in front of him). Big time players to big things when the chips are down (like he did on Saturday).

He also had a crucial fumble in the Sun Bowl when we started to get some momentum at the beginning of the 3rd quarter only down by 4.

Again, I pull for him, and love what he does on the field. Hope keeps it up and continues to prove me wrong.

edit... by "not sold on him", I in no way meant that he shouldn't have been playing, just that I didn't see him as a big-time guy that we could depend on to carry our WR corp. I don't think anyone could last year. TJ seems to be doing it this year.

Archived