• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rays getting the shaft YET AGAIN...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  873
  • Days Won:  0

this is getting ridiculous. the umpire knew he blew the call and didnt correct himself. the only way teams can beat the rays is by cheating

but if riggans would have made the play we wouldnt be in this situation

I agree on both points. Sometimes players don't make plays, that happens on every team. But it seems like every close/judgement type call goes against the Rays.  

But that wasn't even close.  I guy slips and the ump MAKES SOMETHING UP.  How can he say he saw something that didn't happen?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

this is getting ridiculous. the umpire knew he blew the call and didnt correct himself. the only way teams can beat the rays is by cheating

I agree on both points. Sometimes players don't make plays, that happens on every team. But it seems like every close/judgement type call goes against the Rays.  

But that wasn't even close.  I guy slips and the ump MAKES SOMETHING UP.  How can he say he saw something that didn't happen?

and aybar was getting out of the way. a.j. intentionally went out of the line to elbow aybar and its aybars fault?? no accountability for the umpire

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah.  A close tag at home, or a close call at first, for example, you would hear nothing from me.  The upstart team has to accept that.  I have been watching baseball since the early 70's and cannot recall such blatantly bad calls.

• Content Count:  873

and aybar was getting out of the way. a.j. intentionally went out of the line to elbow aybar and its aybars fault?? no accountability for the umpire

Exactly, no accountability.  I remember a few calls that have gone against the bucs that lost them the game and a few days later, the NFL would issue an apology.  This is why MLB offices have no balls.  They won't admit their mistake and they won't reprimand the ump for making the worst call ever.

• Content Count:  4,016

I think it was a bad call, but by baseball rules a person cannot impede or touch a baserunner while he's on the base path.  Technically the call was not wrong, Aybar should have done a slightly better job of jumping out of the way.  He threw the ball to 2nd (which was a bit confusing why he didn't just tag AJ when he had him), then just simply ran past AJ.  He should have stopped or tried to dodge him.  I realize that AJ intentionally initiated the contact, and for that the refs could have called him out, but Aybar needed to make a better attempt at dodging him and that's why he was safe.

AJ violated baseball etiquette, he isn't suppose to do what he did, but that's AJ for you and it was a brilliant play on his part.  It wouldn't have even been an issue if BJ didn't loaf the throw on the fly out and allow AJ to get into 2nd in the first place.  You can bet your ass that the next time we play the White Sox AJ is going to get a little chin music for doing a typical taboo in baseball.  I still say the refs should have called him out because he made a move to Aybar which could suggest he was running outside of the base path, but by rules the refs can make the call the made.  I hate it but it's true.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,499
  • Days Won:  13

they are umps not refs

they are umps not refs

To close to football season, my first love.

• Content Count:  12,293

but by rules the refs can make the call the made.  I hate it but it's true.

the UMPS are supposed to use their judgment on that call to see who initiated any contact and if it actually took place in the baseline.  AJ clearly established the baseball when he was running back to 2nd base as being WAY inside because he actually STEPPED on the infield grass.  Then he was looking back at Aybar the whole time he was running towards 2nd base and slowly drifting over towards the outfield.  After Aybar threw the ball he moved out of the way and AJ threw his elbow at him and flopped. 

The ump blew it.  Sure, its a judgment call, but he used bad judgment.  it was so obvious and it seems that ozzie gullien is in these Umps heads.  it was almost like they were scared to overturn the call. 

• Content Count:  883

I don't care how you interpret the rules, it was a horsefeathers call that very well could have decided the game.

BJ is absolutely killing me with his carefree ways.  Where is this guys head???

but by rules the refs can make the call the made.  I hate it but it's true.

the UMPS are supposed to use their judgment on that call to see who initiated any contact and if it actually took place in the baseline.  AJ clearly established the baseball when he was running back to 2nd base as being WAY inside because he actually STEPPED on the infield grass.  Then he was looking back at Aybar the whole time he was running towards 2nd base and slowly drifting over towards the outfield.  After Aybar threw the ball he moved out of the way and AJ threw his elbow at him and flopped. 

The ump blew it.  Sure, its a judgment call, but he used bad judgment.  it was so obvious and it seems that ozzie gullien is in these Umps heads.  it was almost like they were scared to overturn the call. 

No offense but the umps were right on.  Read the baseball rule book, read the tribune and times which quoted the umps, listen to ESPN.  I was spot on.  I do agree that the umps could have used judgementby ignored AJ's pleas, but that would be WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

If you know baseball then you know the real mistake was made by Aybar for not making a real effort to dodge AJ and just ran past him right next to him.

No one hates the call more than me but technically it was the correct call.  There really is little way to interpret AJ was out of the base path because that's even more of a stretch by the umps then AJ touching Willie.  The only 'judgement' the umps could have made was to ignore, but if they saw Willie and AJ touch then a call HAD to be made.

Archived