• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rays getting the shaft YET AGAIN...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  0

but by rules the refs can make the call the made. I hate it but it's true.

the UMPS are supposed to use their judgment on that call to see who initiated any contact and if it actually took place in the baseline. AJ clearly established the baseball when he was running back to 2nd base as being WAY inside because he actually STEPPED on the infield grass. Then he was looking back at Aybar the whole time he was running towards 2nd base and slowly drifting over towards the outfield. After Aybar threw the ball he moved out of the way and AJ threw his elbow at him and flopped.

The ump blew it. Sure, its a judgment call, but he used bad judgment. it was so obvious and it seems that ozzie gullien is in these Umps heads. it was almost like they were scared to overturn the call.

No offense but the umps were right on. Read the baseball rule book, read the tribune and times which quoted the umps, listen to ESPN. I was spot on. I do agree that the umps could have used judgementby ignored AJ's pleas, but that would be WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

If you know baseball then you know the real mistake was made by Aybar for not making a real effort to dodge AJ and just ran past him right next to him.

No one hates the call more than me but technically it was the correct call. There really is little way to interpret AJ was out of the base path because that's even more of a stretch by the umps then AJ touching Willie. The only 'judgement' the refs could have made was to ignore, but if they saw Willie and AJ touch then a call HAD to be made.

Yeah, that's what I meant. They should have used their judgment (aka common sense) and called it the other way. You can't have umps (possibly) deciding games when we're fighting for the playoffs and each game is so crucial. Of course, if we didn't have so many other horrible calls against us lately maybe it wouldn't hurt as much.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

AJ violated baseball etiquette, he isn't suppose to do what he did,

According to guys on Baseball Tonight, runners are taught to do that in hopes of getting a call just like that .....

• Content Count:  4,016

AJ violated baseball etiquette, he isn't suppose to do what he did,

According to guys on Baseball Tonight, runners are taught to do that in hopes of getting a call just like that .....

Possibly, but a buddy of mine who coaches at UT said it's really not suppose to be done so blatantly.  Generally they try to sway into the basemen, but AJ reached out.  Which is why he said his action is kind of a no-no, he said it was still the right call by the ump if he was going to make one, but tacky on AJ's part- but then admitted he got the White Sox a W for such heady play, and for that he will be applauded in the lockerroom.  My friend explained it like sliding into second....you can slide real, real hard into second and it's no big deal, but you can slide away from the base hard at the SS trying to get the tag and then it's a no-no from an etiquette standpoint, even if the ump doesn't call him out.  That's how baseball draws the line.

I am listening to all these talk radio dolts, but the unfortunate thing is it was the right call.  To me that situation was a no-call, but the second AJ touched Aybar he started screaming like a baby "INTERFERENCE, INTERFERENCE" forcing the ump to do something.  And in that situation the only truly right call, if the ump is going to even make a call in that situation, was the call he made.  To me because AJ reached out, and it was so subtle it should have been a no-call, but the semantics of this situation would be if the ump had a no call then Guillen would have been running out screaming bloody murder.  The umps were put in a no-win situation there, from the standpoint one side was going to be upset with the call and would have some legit beef.

In the end Aybar learned a valuable lesson about a run-down in the majors.  S-HIT happens, and the Rays had quite a few boneheaded plays before that which cost us the game.  Riggans really has no excuse for not getting the third out at the plate on that throw from Zobrist.  The ball hit his glove before the runner even started slidding.

For all the talk-radio guys screaming conspiracy.  The White Sox are in a battle, way, way worse than us right now, for first place and a wildcard spot, as we speak.  There were a few calls Guillen questions the previous two nights, in particular called strikes, which we won.  It just so happens the call yesterday is so rare, because most guys don't get as close to the baserunner as Aybar did, so everyone amplifies it and presumes it cost us something. 

Remember if you're a baseball 'conspiracy' guy then at this point you would rather have the White Sox lose this one.  It helps take the pressure off the Bosox for a wildcard berth. 

• Content Count:  873

For all the talk-radio guys screaming conspiracy.  The White Sox are in a battle, way, way worse than us right now, for first place and a wildcard spot, as we speak.  There were a few calls Guillen questions the previous two nights, in particular called strikes, which we won.   It just so happens the call yesterday is so rare, because most guys don't get as close to the baserunner as Aybar did, so everyone amplifies it and presumes it cost us something. 

Remember if you're a baseball 'conspiracy' guy then at this point you would rather have the White Sox lose this one.  It helps take the pressure off the Bosox for a wildcard berth. 

You should try watching the rays entire season then.  I guess you only saw this game. 

The rays have been screwed on a TON of terrible calls all season.  The sad thing is, it's getting worse.  I thought last week's game against the angels was bad with the upton running call but this is the worst call ever!  I know you THINK you know the rule here, but.... PIERZINSKI TOUCHED AYBAR.  AYBAR DIDN'T TOUCH PIERZINSKI!!!  THAT IS NOT INTERFERING!!!

For all the talk-radio guys screaming conspiracy.  The White Sox are in a battle, way, way worse than us right now, for first place and a wildcard spot, as we speak.  There were a few calls Guillen questions the previous two nights, in particular called strikes, which we won.   It just so happens the call yesterday is so rare, because most guys don't get as close to the baserunner as Aybar did, so everyone amplifies it and presumes it cost us something. 

You should try watching the rays entire season then.  I guess you only saw this game. 

The rays have been screwed on a TON of terrible calls all season.  The sad thing is, it's getting worse.  I thought last week's game against the angels was bad with the upton running call but this is the worst call ever!  I know you THINK you know the rule here, but.... PIERZINSKI TOUCHED AYBAR.  AYBAR DIDN'T TOUCH PIERZINSKI!!!  THAT IS NOT INTERFERING!!!

Singabull...you're weird you hate half the rays but still root for them?  Interesting.

Rules are rules champ, in that run-down situation you can not touch a player, it doesn't matter the hows and whys.  Interference only comes into play if AJ interferred with someone trying to make a play on him.

That's it.  I hate it too, actually screamed at the tv even though I knew the umps theoretically got it right.  The point is, IF an ump was going to make a call on that play the only call he could make was the one he did.  My gut said it should have been a NO CALL, but AJ was screaming bloody murder out there that he forced the ump to make a call.  You gotta tip your hat to AJ....he's a jack-ass but at least a smart jack-ass.

• Content Count:  873

Singabull...you're weird you hate half the rays but still root for them?  Interesting.

Rules are rules champ, in that run-down situation you can not touch a player, it doesn't matter the hows and whys.  Interference only comes into play if AJ interferred with someone trying to make a play on him.

That's it.  I hate it too, actually screamed at the tv even though I knew the umps theoretically got it right.  The point is, IF an ump was going to make a call on that play the only call he could make was the one he did.  My gut said it should have been a NO CALL, but AJ was screaming bloody murder out there that he forced the ump to make a call.  You gotta tip your hat to AJ....he's a jack-ass but at least a smart jack-ass.

Aybar didn't touch him.  And I don't hate half the rays, only bj, riggans, percival, and kazmir

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

you guys may be right about the Rays getting the shaft. If I were Selig I wouldnt want Tampa Bay in the playoffs. Would they even draw 20k for a playoff game?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

you guys may be right about the Rays getting the shaft. If I were Selig I wouldnt want Tampa Bay in the playoffs. Would they even draw 20k for a playoff game?

Look, it's the UCF guy talking attendance again.

Archived