• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Intersting article: Cost of luring non-conference games on the rise...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Maybe smazza could read this.  I'm tired of the whining about our opponent for the first home game every year

He would say that we should play one-and-done style games with Texas or USC.  A lot of people still promote the Bowden "anytime/anyplace" kind of approach to make a name for yourself.  IMHO we are beyond that point - playing those type of games would take credibility away from USF.

I don't much like the 1-AA either to be honest.  I think they are necessary for the immediate future to make-up for one-and-dones or 2-1 we have scheduled previously.  Going forward as we schedule only 1-1's why would we need a 1-AA?  We could just as easily play 1-1's for all five of our OOC games and schedule them in such a way that we get 3 homes one year and 2 the next.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

- playing those type of games would take credibility away from USF.

you are assuming we would lose those games or lose big. 

i think it would be great exposure for USF to play the top tier teams and play them well.

if you think USF has enough national identity to duck those big boys and still reach Elite status then you need to get out of the bay area every once in a while.

Just so we know... out of 120 FBS programs... only 38 do not play a game against an FCS opponent.

That means 82 FBS teams, including USF, play an FCS game.

* Interesting note: 8 of Pac 10 teams do not play and FCS opponent.  This is because they play NINE conference games -- two more than USF.

* Florida State, Clemson, Texas Tech, and Western Kentucky all play TWO GAMES against FCS opponents this fall.

So, if it's good enough to Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, Miami, and a whole slew of the "elite" programs to play against FCS, then USF should emulate them and do the same thing.

- playing those type of games would take credibility away from USF.

you are assuming we would lose those games or lose big. 

i think it would be great exposure for USF to play the top tier teams and play them well.

if you think USF has enough national identity to duck those big boys and still reach Elite status then you need to get out of the bay area every once in a while.

I am not assuming we would loose those games - I think we would have a good chance of winning those games.  I think us signing to play those kind of games makes us look beneath the Texas's and USC's of the world.  Much the same that UCF would look bad signing a 2-1 with us.

I think us signing to play those kind of games makes us look beneath the Texas's and USC's of the world. 

we are beneath them.  and until we beat the "powerhouses" we cant say any different.  lets get real.  we've been at this for 11 years and we have made record breaking strides in that time.  but we still have a long way to go.  we are FAR from being able to demand 1 for 1's with national powerhouses.  maybe when we win our first conference title and win a BCS bowl.  but until then, i dont think we have the right to demand equal respect from schools that year in and year out compete for the national title.

So, if it's good enough to Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, Miami, and a whole slew of the "elite" programs to play against FCS, then USF should emulate them and do the same thing.

I know I will get bashed for this but I think USF has really taken the game day fans for granted with their scheduling this year.  You certainly can't argue with the results in national credibility and exposure we have received, but this year three of our 6 home games are not on Saturday.  So of the three remaining games that are on the traditional college football day, one is against TM and one is against Syracuse.  I don't think the 1-AA game would bother me so much if we didn't play Thursday, Friday, and Sunday home games.

That being said, we have a very exciting home schedule.  Playing 2 teams currently ranked (Kansas and Pitt) and two teams that we owe a little something from last year (Rutgers and Conn).  

• Content Count:  4,738

Just so we know... out of 120 FBS programs... only 38 do not play a game against an FCS opponent.

* Interesting note: 8 of Pac 10 teams do not play and FCS opponent.  This is because they play NINE conference games -- two more than USF.

* Florida State, Clemson, Texas Tech, and Western Kentucky all play TWO GAMES against FCS opponents this fall.

Ohio State is the worst.  I think they play every school in Ohio minus Cinci.

TV revenue from those games kills any missed revenue from walk up fans who would of went if it was a saturday.

right now, we need to collect revenue whenever possible.  its the biggest thing that seperates us from the rest of the big boys.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,767
  • Days Won:  3

TV revenue from those games kills any missed revenue from walk up fans who would of went if it was a saturday.

right now, we need to collect revenue whenever possible.  its the biggest thing that seperates us from the rest of the big boys.

That's correct. Until such time as the coffers of USF are such that we can dictate when we

play our games, TV revenue is a major scheduling factor.

• Content Count:  505

Ohio State is the worst.  I think they play every school in Ohio minus Cinci.

Ohio State plays Cincy as well.  I actually think the state legislature is making them play the other state schools. Not 100% sure about that, but I think I heard that was the reasoning.

Archived