• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Michael Phelps

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

but did tiger set all time course records when winning each one?  ;)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Actually, that year he won all 4 majors in one season, i believe he set tournament scoring records in each...

but i would have to verify that...

the only of the 4 majors that he didn't set the record was the 2001 masters, which he already had the record from when he was 21 years old.

PGA championship scoring record:  2000 & 2006 - tiger woods 18 under par (valhalla)

Master scoring record:  1997 - tiger woods - 18 under  (16 under in 2001 during his slam, the same year they elongated the course because they tried to tiger-proof it)

us open scoring record:  2000 - Tiger woods - 16 under (pebble beach)

british open scoring record:  2000 - Tiger woods - 19 under par (st andrews)

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Actually, that year he won all 4 majors in one season, i believe he set tournament scoring records in each...

I didn't think he had won all of them in the same season.

I didn't think he had won all of them in the same season.

he didn't... the last one was in 2001 (masters).  He won the final 3 of 2000 and then the first of 2001.

It was dubbed the tiger slam... since he was the only one to ever hold all 4 at once.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Phelps is the man but there are so many more people growing up playing competitive golf than doing swimming.

both are dominant and by far the best at what they do, but i give it to Tiger.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Phelps is tremendously dominant... but he doesn't have near the amount of competitors in each race as Tiger has in each tournament... i know its apples and oranges, but Tiger is far better (compared to the field) than Phelps is compared to the field.  However, Phelps has a couple events that he is just unbeatable, by a mile.  Just my opinion, you may not agree.

Both are incredible, no doubt about it, and Phelps is the most dominant olympian i've seen with my own eyes.

Sort of true, but...

Golfers still have to qualify for tournaments just like swimmers have to qualify for the olympics.  And once they qualify for the olympics they have to do well in a heat, get to the semi finals, then get to the finals.  So it's not like he only has to beat 7 other guys.  He has to get through the qualifying process just like golfers have to make the cut in a tournament.

Woods is more dominant, no question.  But phelps is probably the best olympian ever.

Not to mention golf is a diluted, watered down sport.  If you want to compare shear domination, well you can't give Tiger a nod for something he's done over the course of 7 years...what Phelps did is the equivalent of say Tiger winning all four majors in the same year, winning the TPC Sawgrass, the Buick, and Sony, the Heritage, Byron Nelson Classic, and then Pebble Beach and Ryder Cup all in the same year.  And believe it or not Tiger came close to that feat.

If you compare careers then Tiger equals or surpasses, but 8 golds in 7 days, and 7 world records against the best in his class....that's simply amazing.  Not to mention going back to the National Qualifying Mike Phelps did indeed play against the same size fields as Tiger did in any of his major.  The average that make the cut for the Masters is 40, Michael Phelps beat over 100 racers in say the 100m butterfly.  Just because the television didn't bore us with the qualifying heats doesn't mean he didn't go against the best, and when you consider that some say in some of Phelp's stiffest competition came from American swimmers, to make it to the gold medal Michael Phelps had to beat nearly 200 swimmers, all the best in the world at it, and he did it in world record fashion.

Archived