• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Michael Phelps

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

USA is the best ever!

I disagree.  Jason Lezak could have had a better turn at the 350M mark.  We should have traded him for Jason Bay.  If he keeps making turns like that we'll never win the gold in 2012.

;)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Phelps is the most dominant athlete i have seen in my lifetime.  What makes it even better is how he carries himself, dude is a class act. 

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Phelps is tremendously dominant... but he doesn't have near the amount of competitors in each race as Tiger has in each tournament... i know its apples and oranges, but Tiger is far better (compared to the field) than Phelps is compared to the field.  However, Phelps has a couple events that he is just unbeatable, by a mile.  Just my opinion, you may not agree.

Both are incredible, no doubt about it, and Phelps is the most dominant olympian i've seen with my own eyes.

• Content Count:  873
  • Days Won:  0

Phelps is tremendously dominant... but he doesn't have near the amount of competitors in each race as Tiger has in each tournament... i know its apples and oranges, but Tiger is far better (compared to the field) than Phelps is compared to the field.  However, Phelps has a couple events that he is just unbeatable, by a mile.  Just my opinion, you may not agree.

Both are incredible, no doubt about it, and Phelps is the most dominant olympian i've seen with my own eyes.

Sort of true, but...

Golfers still have to qualify for tournaments just like swimmers have to qualify for the olympics.  And once they qualify for the olympics they have to do well in a heat, get to the semi finals, then get to the finals.  So it's not like he only has to beat 7 other guys.  He has to get through the qualifying process just like golfers have to make the cut in a tournament.

Woods is more dominant, no question.  But phelps is probably the best olympian ever.

The Olympics are majors for swimmer and Phelps has gone out twice and swept them while setting course records (in golf speak obviously).  Tiger is great but his larger sample size due to the differences in the sports makes it really hard to compare.  Ill just agree to disagree on this one. 

I see where you are going with the major thing... and its a pretty good arguement... but on that same note... tigers larger sample is also done over a much longer period of time... the story book is stillopen on both of them.  Phelps probably won't be dominant into his 30's and 40's, although it is possible.

I see where you are going with the major thing... and its a pretty good arguement... but on that same note... tigers larger sample is also done over a much longer period of time... the story book is stillopen on both of them.  Phelps probably won't be dominant into his 30's and 40's, although it is possible.

The shelf life of the two sports is grapes to watermelons.  A swimmers prime is MUCH shorter than that of a golfer.  The skills you need to be a great golfer erode at a much slower rate than that of a swimmer.  Swimming is much more physically demanding so it really makes the two hard to compare as far as sample size.   

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This is a really tough comparison.  Phelps has done something that has never been done.  Tiger hasn't done that yet.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Phelps is young it'll be very interesting to see if he can get into some of the freestyle 50 and 100 meter races.  I'd really like to see him come into 2012 in 10-12 events!

This is a really tough comparison.  Phelps has done something that has never been done.  Tiger hasn't done that yet.

holding all 4 majors at once has been done once... by tiger.

Archived