• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2008 Florida Atlantic (FAU) Owls Football Preview

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

I really like this team.  They so remind me of us a few years ago.  Put them in the CUSA and drop one of the other teams out.

http://www.collegesports-fans.com/football-previews/2008-ncaa-fbs/fau-preview.html

Last season was supposed to be a stepping stone to the 2008 campaign where Florida Atlantic was expected to compete for a Sun Belt title. Instead, the Owls took care of business in 2007 and won the conference, not to mention a “neutral†site game against Minnesota in Florida and the New Orleans Bowl over Memphis. With just about everybody returning on both sides of the ball, FAU could dominate the conference and cause some worries early in the season against the non-conference slate.

FAU's 2008 Strengths:

Coach Howard Schnellenberger returns ten starters to his offense that ranked second in the conference overall last year. Quarterback Rusty Smith threw for 3,688 yards and 32 touchdowns as a sophomore and all his main targets are back. Cortez Gent caught a team high 64 passes for 1,082 yards and nine touchdowns, but Chris Bonner and Conshario Johnson are also dangerous receiving threats. What makes the offense so dynamic in the passing game is tight end Jason Harmon and running back Di’Ivory Edgecomb. Harmon caught 63 passes during his junior campaign and will once again be Smith’s target of choice when the wideouts are not open down the field. Edgecomb will not get a lot of carries, but he is extremely dangerous catching passes out of the backfield. It is Charles Pierre who will do a majority of the rushing after garnering 782 yards on the ground last year.

FAU's 2008 Weaknesses:

The defense was pretty average, but with eight starters returning and a couple guys back who missed at least most of last season, the Owls defense could quickly move up to the top of the conference. The front four gets all their starters back and tackle Josh Savidge who missed all but four games with a knee injury in 2007. The rush defense was the strength last year and will be again this time around, but the unit has to do a better job of getting into the backfield. The loss of linebacker Cergile Sincere is a concern, but George Allen, Andre Clark and Frantz Joseph are a solid and experienced group. Corners Tavious Polo and Corey Small combined for 12 interceptions last season and will shut down just about everybody they go up against and Erick McIntosh will provide some quality depth after missing last season due to academic reasons.

The Bottom Line for the FAU Owls:

The Owls offense can carry this team to a Sun Belt title, but the defense has the potential to turn this into a very special season in Boca Raton. Smith, now an upperclassman, has already developed into a smart and consistent quarterback and he can put this team on his shoulders. And having all those weapons to work with will certainly make his job much easier.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Looks like the state is going to be strong this year.  I see 6 of 7 Florida teams with a chance to bowl.

• Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

Looks like the state is going to be strong this year.  I see 6 of 7 Florida teams with a chance to bowl.

id agree with that assessment

• Content Count:  883

I'm glad we're not playing them this year.  They're gonna be tougher then last year.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I'm glad we're not playing them this year.  They're gonna be tougher then last year.

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  1,894

I thought they were much better then ucf but then again if you put them in RayJay we might win the same margin as Ucf game.

• Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

I thought they were much better then ucf but then again if you put them in RayJay we might win the same margin as Ucf game.

I don't think so.  With Smith as a QB, they have an offense.  I don't see much of an offense at UCF this year.  I am going on record as saying FAU will pass UCF in years to come.  UCF has a big head start in facilities, but with the Schnelly/Brogan combo, it won't be long lived.  Of course, if UCF gets BCS and FAU doesn't, that throws the whole equation.

• Content Count:  4,016

which FL team misses out?  I guess you mean FIU?  What is your realistic feel about UCF.  You should have a sound defense but the offense is plugging a lot of holes, and the answers are coming from a lot of newby unknowns?  That could hurt you in the early part of your season.  Thoughts, but without spin please, be real?

• Content Count:  1,894

I don't think so.  With Smith as a QB, they have an offense.  I don't see much of an offense at UCF this year.  I am going on record as saying FAU will pass UCF in years to come.  UCF has a big head start in facilities, but with the Schnelly/Brogan combo, it won't be long lived.  Of course, if UCF gets BCS and FAU doesn't, that throws the whole equation.

well you agree'd with me that Fau was better than Ucf last year and will be in the future so we agree on that. I also said If FAU came to Ray Jay last year instead of playing in the 20mph wind of the high school football field we could of beat them like we did ucf. That is strictly off of the notion that we play much better at home and defense would of fed off the crowd. Smith is a great qb but RJS is a tough place to play. I don't think Ucf or Fau will have to worry about BCS anytime soon.

• Content Count:  2,239

Bien,

I really do think 6 teams will bowl.

UF is a no brainer.  I think UM and FSU will use a weaker ACC to get back in the bowl picture.  USF should finish in the top half of the Big East.  I think last year was your year and a couple bad games killed that.  UCF has a lot of question marks on offense but a veteren defense.  Even with a spotty offense, I think the O will do ok against CUSA defenses.  I could see offensive struggles in OOC games.  FAU will battle Troy for Sun Belt supremecy.  With Smith at QB, there is no reason the Owls can't repeat.  FIU has a long way to go to become a bowl team.

Archived