• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

kazmir is horrible

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  873
  • Days Won:  0

The problem is, he's not getting any better.  I thought he had finally turned it around after the first 2 innings but then the old kazmir came back.  He gets 2 strikes on a guy and then only throws fastballs.  And hitters know that.  All they have to do is keep fouling it off, getting his pitch count up, and finally making contact with a ball.  If he had his slider working, he would be much better.  I think he needs to skip the all-star game and work on his slider during the break.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

kazmir is probably 3rd best pitcher on the staff. lately he isnt impressive, 9k's big freakin deal when you only last 5 innings. id rather have a guy who throws 1k and lasts 7 innings - sonnanstine

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

The problem is, he's not getting any better.  I thought he had finally turned it around after the first 2 innings but then the old kazmir came back.  He gets 2 strikes on a guy and then only throws fastballs.  And hitters know that.  All they have to do is keep fouling it off, getting his pitch count up, and finally making contact with a ball.  If he had his slider working, he would be much better.  I think he needs to skip the all-star game and work on his slider during the break.

He had an injury... it takes time to get back confidence in the elbow.

If anything, the break will help him rest the elbow.

• Content Count:  873
  • Days Won:  0

Nope, that excuse doesn't work.  When he came back from the injury he pitched great.  Lately, he's been getting worse.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

Nope, that excuse doesn't work.  When he came back from the injury he pitched great.  Lately, he's been getting worse.

you should be the manager

He hasn't been back that long...

but hey... trade him away for a #4 starter... like I said... i'd take him in a second.

When he is on, he is as good as there is. 

FWIW, beckett started off the year horrible... but is getting back on track... you don't give up on someone for a few sub par starts.  If you said Kaz was good after he came back but the last couple have been not so good... so what? 

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Personally I think he is the ace of the Rays.  He is hurt and coming off an elbow injury.  These guys that speak off the cuff and call him horrible have no clue about baseball and especially pitching. 

No matter how you look at it the Rays got him for Victor Zambrano...even if they got Julio Franco it is a win/win. 

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

His numbers are more than solid, and he's unhittable when he's on.  To say he's "horrible" is ignorant.

Here's the deal:  Kaz is conditioned to be a finesse, strikeout pitcher because he's historically been backed up by terrible defense.  So he gets ahead on a batter 0-2, and then dinks and dunks trying to nip the outside corner for the K until he's thrown 8 pitches to the guy... then eventually gets the K, and eventually gets yanked after 5 because he's thrown 110 pitches.

He needs to learn that the D behind him is solid and to be aggressive on an 0-2 count.  Also, he needs to mix in the Slider a bit more.  I think if he'd let the fielders do their jobs and just keep going at batters when ahead in the count, he'd cut 25 pitches a game off his total.

My pseudo-analysis.

sounds reasonable.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

sounds reasonable.

Then i did something wrong... hold on...

"KAZMIR SUCKS!  HE'S HORRIBLE!  TRADE HIM AND LET'S SEND 6 MINOR LEAGUERS TO CLEVELAND FOR SABBATHIA!  BOOOO!!!"

Better?  ;-)

Archived