• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I know it's too early for 09' mock drafts, But.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  526
  • Days Won:  0

Didn't Selvie say that he planned on playing through his Senior year and not entering the draft early?

Nonetheless, this is cool to see a player this highly thought of for the NFL.

Yes he has said that but you can throw that out the window if he is really a top 5-10 pick.  He would get a ton of money, including guaranteed money, thrown at him.  Come on...put yourself in that position.  Most college graduates will NEVER make as much money in their lifetime as he would as a top 10 pick.  Do not discount the possibility. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  526

We're talking about the dolphins' tradition?  No super bowl win in 35 years, no appearance in over 20 years.  You sound like Notre Dame apologizers.  Dolphin tradition?  Ha.

I know we tend to have short memories but just a few years ago the Dolphins were a very competitive team that consistantly challenged the conference.    Besides now they have a winner leading the team and I'm sure he will turn them around just like he did the Giants, Patriots(which were the worst team in the history of the NFL at the time), Jets, and Cowboys.

• Content Count:  937

Selivie could probably graduate early.. (before his senior season). If that was the case why not got drafted

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Didn't Selvie say that he planned on playing through his Senior year and not entering the draft early?

Nonetheless, this is cool to see a player this highly thought of for the NFL.

Yes he has said that but you can throw that out the window if he is really a top 5-10 pick.  He would get a ton of money, including guaranteed money, thrown at him.  Come on...put yourself in that position.  Most college graduates will NEVER make as much money in their lifetime as he would as a top 10 pick.  Do not discount the possibility. 

We are talking risk vs. reward. Would he take that risk on losing his reward with injury? I think he's too smart to hurt his opportunity of making millions. Last year he was first or second best DE in the nation. His only competition is on the Rams roster. The only way he stay is he have a down year.

• Content Count:  4,016

Stopped reading after "has NFL-level size for the defensive end spot" not to many 245lbs DE's in the NFL.   With his current size outside LB in a 3-4 scheme is where he would fit but he has never had to play in space (in coverage) at USF.  Selvie has a ton of potential but he also a lot of work to do. 

There are a few 245lbs in the NFL that are extremely effective- Jason Taylor is one, KGB at Green Bay another, and Osi Umenyiora is listed anywhere from 250-260lbs.  Hell Derek Harvey was drafted in the first round for the Jags and he only measures 6-5 252  http://www.nfl.com/players/derrickharvey/profile?id=HAR771312.   Selvie has something few DE's ever possess and that is a devastating first step, and a burst that is nearly impossible to stop.  Adding muscle and weight is easy in the NFL, getting a player to possess the explosiveness, speed, instincts, and burst that Selvie possesses at 6-5 245lbs is impossible.  If he shows up at the combine at 6-5 250lbs the NFL scouts will have no problem with it.  He also has great pursuit and quickness so he could fit in at outside backer in a 3-4 as you suggest too.  But I think Selvie will grow into an amazing 4-3 DE with his frame, it will be slow but he'll do it for his career and by his 2nd or 3rd year be playing somewhere around 265lbs.  Remember Simeon Rice was drafted 3rd in 1996 and he was 6-5 250lbs soaking wet when drafted- his weight was questioned, but the explosiveness, speed, quickness were what got him drafted that high.  By his 3rd year in the NFL Simeon was weighing around 265.

Also guys like Leonard Little, and Justin Tuck started in the NFL around 250lbs.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Personally, if Selvie has as good a year as he did last year and he is truly ready for the draft I hope he takes the opportunity.  I would rather see him go pro rather than take the chance of getting hurt.  That being said, I still want to see him get better.  He was taken out of some games last year with some double teams, etc.  With some more help up front this year with Bedford and hopefully Harris and Buie continuing to improve (plus let's not forget that C. Robinson was actually our leading returning sack guy going into last year)  Selvie should have enough help so the opposing OL can't concetrate just on him.  Things could set up for him to have a monster year.  His size will be fine.

Nate Allen is another guy we need to worry about leaving after next season. The NFL has an eye on him also. One mock draft projecting him as a late first rounder in 2010.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Stopped reading after "has NFL-level size for the defensive end spot" not to many 245lbs DE's in the NFL.  With his current size outside LB in a 3-4 scheme is where he would fit but he has never had to play in space (in coverage) at USF.  Selvie has a ton of potential but he also a lot of work to do. 

There are a few 245lbs in the NFL that are extremely effective- Jason Taylor is one, KGB at Green Bay another, and Osi Umenyiora is listed anywhere from 250-260lbs.  Hell Derek Harvey was drafted in the first round for the Jags and he only measures 6-5 252  http://www.nfl.com/players/derrickharvey/profile?id=HAR771312.  Selvie has something few DE's ever possess and that is a devastating first step, and a burst that is nearly impossible to stop.  Adding muscle and weight is easy in the NFL, getting a player to possess the explosiveness, speed, instincts, and burst that Selvie possesses at 6-5 245lbs is impossible.  If he shows up at the combine at 6-5 250lbs the NFL scouts will have no problem with it.  He also has great pursuit and quickness so he could fit in at outside backer in a 3-4 as you suggest too.  But I think Selvie will grow into an amazing 4-3 DE with his frame, it will be slow but he'll do it for his career and by his 2nd or 3rd year be playing somewhere around 265lbs.  Remember Simeon Rice was drafted 3rd in 1996 and he was 6-5 250lbs soaking wet when drafted- his weight was questioned, but the explosiveness, speed, quickness were what got him drafted that high.  By his 3rd year in the NFL Simeon was weighing around 265.

Also guys like Leonard Little, and Justin Tuck started in the NFL around 250lbs.

245lbs is good weight for a rookie but not NFL size.  NFL size is what a player has after a couple of years of being in an NFL environment.  Selvie struggled with double teams and against large athletic guys like Pedro Sosa.  Hes a great player with a bunch of upside but he does not possess NFL size (YET) as the mock suggests.  Thats all i was saying it had nothing to due with if he would have success in the league or not.  I think Selvie at around 260-265 would be a monster off the edge. 

Stopped reading after "has NFL-level size for the defensive end spot" not to many 245lbs DE's in the NFL.   With his current size outside LB in a 3-4 scheme is where he would fit but he has never had to play in space (in coverage) at USF.  Selvie has a ton of potential but he also a lot of work to do. 

There are a few 245lbs in the NFL that are extremely effective- Jason Taylor is one, KGB at Green Bay another, and Osi Umenyiora is listed anywhere from 250-260lbs.  Hell Derek Harvey was drafted in the first round for the Jags and he only measures 6-5 252  http://www.nfl.com/players/derrickharvey/profile?id=HAR771312.   Selvie has something few DE's ever possess and that is a devastating first step, and a burst that is nearly impossible to stop.  Adding muscle and weight is easy in the NFL, getting a player to possess the explosiveness, speed, instincts, and burst that Selvie possesses at 6-5 245lbs is impossible.  If he shows up at the combine at 6-5 250lbs the NFL scouts will have no problem with it.  He also has great pursuit and quickness so he could fit in at outside backer in a 3-4 as you suggest too.  But I think Selvie will grow into an amazing 4-3 DE with his frame, it will be slow but he'll do it for his career and by his 2nd or 3rd year be playing somewhere around 265lbs.  Remember Simeon Rice was drafted 3rd in 1996 and he was 6-5 250lbs soaking wet when drafted- his weight was questioned, but the explosiveness, speed, quickness were what got him drafted that high.  By his 3rd year in the NFL Simeon was weighing around 265.

245lbs is good weight for a rookie but not NFL size.  NFL size is what a player has after a couple of years of being in an NFL environment.  Selvie struggled with double teams and against large athletic guys like Pedro Sosa.  Hes a great player with a bunch of upside but he does not possess NFL size (YET) as the mock suggests.  Thats all i was saying it had nothing to due with if he would have success in the league or not.  I think Selvie at around 260-265 would be a monster off the edge. 

Dude, NFL draft off of potential and upside. Nobody in here can disagree that Selvie has a ton of upside.  Trust me that the NFL sees the same in him.

• Content Count:  2,726

Selvie has stated that he wants to get a degree from USF.  Regardless...I wish him the best.  I'd like to see him actually AT the NFL draft in NY.  If he stays for his senior year(and doesn't get hurt), there is no doubt that he would be a top pick.  That will really put USF on the map.

GO BULLS!!!

Archived