• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East 9th Member for Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  292
  • Days Won:  0

we need a school like penn st in the big east

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Thank you!!

I've been saying this for years.  To steal PSU away from the Big Televen would be fantastic, and immediately make the Big East the toughest conference top-to-bottom outside the SEC.

I am by no means a fan of Notre Dame, but they would be the only other team possibly on the table that I would want to join the league... ECU and UCF don't bring anything to the table for the BE.

Guest pascobull

ECU would probably bankrupt itself with doing that. Sending their other sports to the SOCON or whatever would kill those programs. Revenues would drop in all of those along with talent levels. So basketball would then be even worse, if possible. Football would have to find a way to generate (just throwing a number out, don't know their expenditures currently) $10,000,000 extra without getting any Big East money. Not possible. They already pretty much sell out the stadium so without raising ticket prices to a crazy level they aren't going to get much more revenue. So if they had to do that for a few years by the time the Big East splits they would be so crippled with debt and terrible teams there would be no reason for the Big East to make them a full member.

Guest pascobull

Thank you!!

I've been saying this for years.  To steal PSU away from the Big Televen would be fantastic, and immediately make the Big East the toughest conference top-to-bottom outside the SEC.

I am by no means a fan of Notre Dame, but they would be the only other team possibly on the table that I would want to join the league... ECU and UCF don't bring anything to the table for the BE.

Never going to happen. Penn State makes more money just off the Big 10 Network than the Big East payments are. I can't remember the exact figure but its in the region of $20 mill a year. Plus the regular disbursements from the league and they make an enormous amount of money. Plus they don't want to give Pitt an even series. The Big East isn't going to steal anyone from the Big 10 any time soon. Plus if ND ever joins a conference it will be the Big 10 and the revenues will grow even more.

• Content Count:  2,239

ECU would probably bankrupt itself with doing that. Sending their other sports to the SOCON or whatever would kill those programs. Revenues would drop in all of those along with talent levels. So basketball would then be even worse, if possible. Football would have to find a way to generate (just throwing a number out, don't know their expenditures currently) $10,000,000 extra without getting any Big East money. Not possible. They already pretty much sell out the stadium so without raising ticket prices to a crazy level they aren't going to get much more revenue. So if they had to do that for a few years by the time the Big East splits they would be so crippled with debt and terrible teams there would be no reason for the Big East to make them a full member.

The APRs for some of their sports are pretty bad too.  It goes back to the low education standard that was mentioned earlier.  ECU's best bet is to settle back and just build up their programs.

I don't think ECU would go bankrupt, but their product would surely suffer and the debt would rise quickly.  It would be similar to UCF's situation in the early I-A days as an Indy.  The only difference is that ECU is forced to have 4 away conference games that won't garner enough income.

Steal Penn State from the Big Ten?  It's fun to dream, but there is no way they jump.  Aside from the benefits of already being in the Big Ten, I don't see the PSU administration willing to put up with the large amount of national negative press they will get from moving.

• Content Count:  223

Penn State won't be jumping ship to the BEast.  Pitt probably wouldn't appreciate it either.

It'll be a Conference USA team before any other conference. Bank on that. And it will probably be, unfortunately, UCiF.

• Content Count:  412

I started up a thread on expansion a couple months back, and got yelled at, lol.

But I did suggest Navy- a solid team with few bowl tie ins. They certainly wouldn't join the bottom of the barrel with Syracuse. I think they'd add some strength to our conference.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

ECU brings some tradition to the conference.

But I thought that UCF would bring that!  Shoot, they've got a STAY DEE UMM!  They are always talking about how no school has any traditions until they play their games on campus!!!1!one!1!

• Content Count:  4,879

Thank you!!

Never going to happen. Penn State makes more money just off the Big 10 Network than the Big East payments are. I can't remember the exact figure but its in the region of $20 mill a year. Plus the regular disbursements from the league and they make an enormous amount of money. Plus they don't want to give Pitt an even series. The Big East isn't going to steal anyone from the Big 10 any time soon. Plus if ND ever joins a conference it will be the Big 10 and the revenues will grow even more.

Do you know these types of figures for Boston College?

• Content Count:  412

Thank you!!

Do you know these types of figures for Boston College?

Leave the BE for the ACC, then go back to the BE? Doubtful...

Archived