• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East 9th Member for Football

1) Our TV contract is almost 1/2 the other east BCS conferences. So we're not going to grab any team from those conferences based on money.

2) ND won't even play our teams at a legit home and home...good luck.

There are 4 legit schools at his point. Marshall, ECU, UCF, and Southern Miss. Memphis has and outside shot, and my pick TCU would be on an island like us. Just don't see it happening.

Cross Marshall and UCF off that list.  WVU will never let Marshall in -- heck, they had to be forced by the state to play a four - for - one schedule.  USF will not want UCF to be let in.  ECU and Southern Miss have such small television market, they won't really be considered.

The real contenders are... in order:

Memphis -- Large media market. Comes with the Liberty Bowl.

Tulane -- Large media market. Comes with the New Orleans Bowl.

TCU -- Large media market. Comes with the Ft. Worth Bowl. (Distance would be an issue)

Toledo -- Medium sized media market.

JMHO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Even though it's not even a legitamate option Navy would be baller to have in the conference.

• Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  0

I've said this in a few other threads dealing with the expansion topic, but my vote goes with Memphis.  They have an ok football program with the potential to be much better.  Their basketball program is excellent and they have a good sized tv market.  They're not really "east" but neither are we.  And on a purely self serving note, I want some BBQ! 

• Content Count:  309

Cuse fan here:

I'd add UCF.  You guys are on an island as stated above.  It would strengthen the Big East in Central Florida.  Big East Non Revenues can come down and play both Florida schools over a long weekend.  It gives you a close by rival to help on travel.  Yes it would be another program competing for Big East level recruits in FL but you guys will have to adjust.  I realize that doesn't sit well with you guys but most of the other 7 programs look differently about UCF than USF does.

Memphis, ECU also have strengths and would be happy with one of them...The Big East has to end this bastardized BB only structure.  In the interim delete Seton Hall and add either UCF, Memphis or ECU.

BTW, whatever school gets added will have to raise academic standards commesurate with the rest of the league.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

FWIW - UCF backed out of games with both Pitt and WVU.  That may not help them should they want to be in the Big East.

• Content Count:  291

Army, Navy, PSU, or ND. Only teams i would think about adding. The rest of them bring nothing to the table.

Army, Navy, PSU, or ND. Only teams i would think about adding. The rest of them bring nothing to the table.

Unfortunately, those are not options.  It's like having $15K but wanting to by a fully loaded Hummer.  Sorry, bud.

Memphis brings a media market and a very good bowl game.  Moreover, if they can be added as a full member, their basketball programs are pretty good as well.

I would rather have Memphis than Army or Navy, to be sure.  Why not ask for Duke or Vanderbilt?

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Direct Quote from Mike Tranghese:

“I have told anybody and everybody it’s not happening. Don’t bother me.â€Â

Seriously, I know this is a hot topic, but do you guys think he is lying through his teeth or something.

Oh, and about UCF, IF the BE ever did decide to expand, USF would be so vehemently against it, that there is no way UCF would get it.  That is a fact.  The day UCF gets in is the same exact day WVU lets Marshall in.  It aint happening.  WVU would support us since they are in the same situation with Marshall.  And I truly believe UC and UofL would go along with what we want, since they would probably rather have Memphis in anyway.  UCF would never get the votes, sorry.  How much arm twisting do you think Leavitt and Woolard would be willing to do to keep them out.  Do you think the BE is going to bring in an outsider against the wishes of a member in good standing extremely opposed to it.  Not gonna happen, they'll never get the votes.

• Content Count:  291

Unfortunately, those are not options.  It's like having $15K but wanting to by a fully loaded Hummer.  Sorry, bud.

Memphis brings a media market and a very good bowl game.  Moreover, if they can be added as a full member, their basketball programs are pretty good as well.

I would rather have Memphis than Army or Navy, to be sure.  Why not ask for Duke or Vanderbilt?

The History & Prestige of their programs that Navy and Army could add to the BE is far greater than Memphis. Having regular games with 2 of the most traditional rich schools in the entire country is something worth adding to the BE any day.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Jim,

I would seriously doubt one school is going to keep another out.

The schools will vote and add whoever will make them more money.

They said the same thing about VT and Virginia into the ACC.

Archived