• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Expansion- Football?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

No

Next irrelevant post

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

This again???  I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I like Memphis.  They would come in with an ok football team with the potential to get much better and a great basketball team.  This way, every season you would get 4 conference road games and 4 conference home games.  Kick ND out so basketball stays at 16 teams and let them go strong arm some other conference.

I happen to agree with TB and Flip. I think Memphis would be the best candidate for expansion if the powers that be ever decide we need an additional football team.

Their already solid basketball program would do nothing but help The Big East.

However, I can see the arguments against adding a school that does not bring much to the table football wise as it seems we are still trying to convince some that we are a legitimate football conference.

• Content Count:  500

At the risk of being unpopular, what's wrong with bringing Temple back just for football?  They play in Lincoln Financial Field, so there's no real stadium issue, and if the team were ever to get any good, the Big East might carve into the Penn State strangehold in eastern Pennsylvania

Then again, UConn made huge strides in a short time in ascending from D I-AA, so maybe the Big East could do a similar deal with Villanova or UMass

This is my personal favorite. Nova hasnt dominated at the level (neither did we), and have hung tight anytime the play a Bowl Subdivision opponent, including beating Temple, and losses of 14 to Maryland last season and UCF 2 seasons ago (they actually outgained UCF in total yards). Theres an easy 9th member, 10 gets tricky....

• Content Count:  571

No

Next irrelevant post

qft

lets see how many times a month someone can make a thread on this.

• Content Count:  412

I didn't know everyone was so sick of this topic-- sorry. My buddy and I were just BSing around, and it was an interesting discussion, so I thought it would be a good time-killer.

Bandit... Since you joined TBP in 2005, this is probably the 10th thread on the subject... some longer-term members are a bit testy about this.

However, as TBP grows and gains new members, there will be many more who do not have the memory and don't realize we've discussed some issues ad nauseum.

• Content Count:  4,642

ND would never join the BE for FB.  it would be stupid for them and their money in playing other teams outside of the BE.

the likely cadidates would not make the conference better and arguably worse.  if we did take a non-bcs team, then we would need to steal teams to make this a viable option.  i.e. - BC and Memphis.

• Content Count:  4,642

is this the 'dead' horse' thread?  ;)

• Content Count:  571

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=46168.0

^^ to the OP, check out that thread for some answers to your speculations on conference expansion. ^^

people actually responded to the issue in there.

/thread

• Content Count:  1,241

At the risk of being unpopular, what's wrong with bringing Temple back just for football?  They play in Lincoln Financial Field, so there's no real stadium issue, and if the team were ever to get any good, the Big East might carve into the Penn State strangehold in eastern Pennsylvania

Then again, UConn made huge strides in a short time in ascending from D I-AA, so maybe the Big East could do a similar deal with Villanova or UMass

This is my personal favorite. Nova hasnt dominated at the level (neither did we), and have hung tight anytime the play a Bowl Subdivision opponent, including beating Temple, and losses of 14 to Maryland last season and UCF 2 seasons ago (they actually outgained UCF in total yards). Theres an easy 9th member, 10 gets tricky....

Nah they wont do it. Their stadium doesnt hold enough people to be eligable for D1a, they have no ability to upgrade it to fit those standards, and cant afford a new stadium. They are also not going to play at the eagles stadium. Unfortunately they are really not an option, though they are the closest of any of the 8 non football schools.

My pick is to add memphis and drop the non football schools to end this mess of a conference we have right now. With memphis we stay elite in basketball and they will come around in football

Archived