• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

thirsty Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

this bar is going to be great for USF.....we need more "college" bars here at USF......having it right across from USF will guarantee it will blow up......i hope more and more bars open around campus like this.....the USF area will be more college townish.....which is awesome.....but i love the big city aspect of USF.....so much to do......but yeh if they do this right and make it USF themed......it will be a huge hit! cant wait!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  743

What is in that location right now? Is there a building they are renovating?

also... from there website...

"Monday - “FREE Drinks ALL Knight!â€Â

FREE Draft Beer all night!

FREE Drinks all night!

FREE Shots all night!"

ummm... huh?

PSteazy... some thoughts:

1) USF's median age is around 26-27 years old...

2) USF has more students, but fewer credit hours than FSU... giving you an impression of how few students are really "full time"

3) When you live in a large city, you don't get a "strip" like you do in a college town... students go to businesses all over the place.

4) There are liquor stores less than 1/10th of a mile from campus in several directions...

5) There is a significant liability for anyone bringing students to bars... USF used to have a service called "SoberRide" which would pick up drunk students from bars in Ybor and along Fowler/Fletcher and take them home.  SoberRide could never get permission from USF, to actually take students TO the bars.

Finally, Scoop - like anything else around USF - will never really be a "college" bar... Tampa will never really have a "college" bar... Copper Top used to be (kinda)... Kasey's Cove used to be (sorta)... Aren't Bricktown and/or Hangout "college" bars? (Never been, so I don't know)...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

back in the 80's there were several bars along fletcher avenue that were packed at night.

This included Rickeys, CCs, Time Tunnel (uggh), The Grog, and Brass Mugg. Most are gone and either other businesses or pawn shops. Of these-- only the Brass Mugg has stayerd in business. BabaLouis and that other place (name escapes me) on Bearss have also survived the times, while places like the zoo (and its many incarnations) have failed.

I blame Ybor-- and then Channelside for this situation. I don't really care about the bar scene personally anymore-- there is always someplace to drink in Tampa. But folwer avenue has been especially tricky for bars. I remember back in the day a place called Dooleys (now where TGI Fridays is) was pretty decent-- and some other places with margarita drinks and whatnot-- too many to mention. ALl of them pretty much gone

• Content Count:  571

thanks for the responses to that rant.

go bulls!

• Content Count:  743

Jim... There are several bars in the area that I'd consider "college bars". UA and the Greenery definitely are. Brickyard changed into Acropolis and from what I hear is still very active with USF's Greek members. Peabody's is a college bar.

Scoop will be a welcomed addition.

also... someone answer my questions... how the hell can you give out free drinks and stay in business?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I disagree about not being able to build that college atmosphere around USF.

Columbus, OH; Austin, TX; etc are all examples of large cities with great college atmospheres around campus.

I think Jim's stats are more telling as to why iy's not like  a college area off campus.

• Content Count:  639

Jim... There are several bars in the area that I'd consider "college bars". UA and the Greenery definitely are. Brickyard changed into Acropolis and from what I hear is still very active with USF's Greek members. Peabody's is a college bar.

Scoop will be a welcomed addition.

also... someone answer my questions... how the hell can you give out free drinks and stay in business?

The free drink nights are common not only at scoop but other ucf bars like devaneys too, library, cellar, pounders etc...I think scoop does $7 free wells, and beer till midnight but I haven't been there in a while so don't know if they changed it to all night. None of those bars have have problems staying in business but they get the consistent flow of pretty good business so I guess we'll see what the demand is by USF to see if it will survive.

About the college atmosphere debate, I think if you provide it(it being more 'college bars', late night hangouts, a 'strip'), it will improve the atmosphere and attract more traditional students, ucf is by a city and although our area is a little more isolated from the city, there are a good collection of bars by campus. uc7 plaza(directly across the street) alone has 3

• Content Count:  1,251

PSteazy... some thoughts:

1) USF's median age is around 26-27 years old...

2) USF has more students, but fewer credit hours than FSU... giving you an impression of how few students are really "full time"

3) When you live in a large city, you don't get a "strip" like you do in a college town... students go to businesses all over the place.

4) There are liquor stores less than 1/10th of a mile from campus in several directions...

5) There is a significant liability for anyone bringing students to bars... USF used to have a service called "SoberRide" which would pick up drunk students from bars in Ybor and along Fowler/Fletcher and take them home.  SoberRide could never get permission from USF, to actually take students TO the bars.

Finally, Scoop - like anything else around USF - will never really be a "college" bar... Tampa will never really have a "college" bar... Copper Top used to be (kinda)... Kasey's Cove used to be (sorta)... Aren't Bricktown and/or Hangout "college" bars? (Never been, so I don't know)...

there are def "college" bars around USF.......greenary is only USF students.....it closed down for the time being but it will reopen...........acropolis (formely known as brickyard) is pretty much greek village in a bar.........UA hangout is a college bar with alot of college kids and some sketchy locals that try to hit on college girls.............Tia's on friday night is all USF students and it is always packed........LA hangout on monday night, while it is not as close to the school......is always packed with bulls......peabodies is def a college bar but an older crowd follows the students there......even though only a few of these bars are right next to campus.....they are still only occupied by USF students......here is the bars that are really popular with USF students on each night....

Monday- LA hangout

Tuesday- Greenary

Wednesday- Acropolis (brickyard)

Thursday- UA hangout/ybor/dallas bull

friday- Tia's

Saturday- channelside

if they do SCOOP right....and it is right across the street for campus.....it will blow up

• Content Count:  5,241

Are they gonna put it where that Perkins is? If they do, Ill drink their for a month straight to thank them for tearing down Perkins

Archived