• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF player passes away

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Edit:  sorry, I wasn't trying to stir the pot.

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Just came across the story myself.  Very sad and feel terribly for Moises.  I wonder if the incoming freshman go through any sort of indepth physical before they come into a University or maybe these things just weren't catchable...

I wonder if there's something the state isn't doing, because sadly Plancher makes three football players in the last few years in Florida who have died during a workout. Or do the individual schools do the testing?

Either way, it's horrible news.

It's 4 in the last 10 years.

The initial autopsy was inconclusive, so they will be doing further testing.  It could be a while before we find out what caused this.

• Content Count:  5,241

While these are very tragic cases, 4 over 10 years, out of the large amount of athletes/college football players coming through florida colleges, is not common and still very rare.

• Content Count:  2,239

While these are very tragic cases, 4 over 10 years, out of the large amount of athletes/college football players coming through florida colleges, is not common and still very rare.

Compared to the rest of the nation, 4 in 10 years is too often.  Perhaps the NCAA needs to step in on offseason conditioning programs.  That seems to be where the most have fallen.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,473
  • Days Won:  13

Just came across the story myself.  Very sad and feel terribly for Moises.  I wonder if the incoming freshman go through any sort of indepth physical before they come into a University or maybe these things just weren't catchable...

I wonder if there's something the state isn't doing, because sadly Plancher makes three football players in the last few years in Florida who have died during a workout. Or do the individual schools do the testing?

Either way, it's horrible news.

It's 4 in the last 10 years.

The initial autopsy was inconclusive, so they will be doing further testing.  It could be a while before we find out what caused this.

Each case has been horrible. And they are sad stories. But if the 4 kids were just college students playing on the rec court it wouldnt be a huge deal to the media. It is very uncommon. I do think that coaches need to make sure that players are getting enough fluids. I know when I played High School ball we could only drink when the coaches allowed us to. I passes out from heat related illness one day.

• Content Count:  771

A professor from a few years ago told me about a condition where people drown by taking in too much water while conditioning. Seems odd, but anything can happen nowdays.

• Content Count:  2,523

A professor from a few years ago told me about a condition where people drown by taking in too much water while conditioning. Seems odd, but anything can happen nowdays.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about adding too much water with a lack of adequate salt in the body to carry on the Sodium Potassium Pump reactions which are critical to producing energy at the cellular level?  Sorry, been a few years since organic, bio and chemistry, so I may have the reaction wrong, but I think that's it more than "drowning"...

• Content Count:  4,738

Are you sure he wasn't talking about adding too much water with a lack of adequate salt in the body to carry on the Sodium Potassium Pump reactions which are critical to producing energy at the cellular level?  Sorry, been a few years since organic, bio and chemistry, so I may have the reaction wrong, but I think that's it more than "drowning"...

You can "drown" from too much water but you usually only hear about it in hazing stories.  Probably couldn't drink enough water to do it without people forcing it down your throat. 

Archived