• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2009 Commits

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,240
  • Days Won:  0

I really hope our staff sees something in Ivan Nicholas, Gerard Atkins, and Tyrone Williams. We seem to be at the point where we can get 3 star guys at will, and these 3 are 2 star guys who seemed to have no one else of note going after them.

I have faith that our staff knows what they are doing.  You don't want to miss out on the George Selvies just b/c you see a low star ranking.  Our staff doesn't look at stars... they look at the players and their talents and decide if they are worth going after... nothing more.  They decided these guys were worth it.  That is good enough for me.

Yeah i understand that. My issue was moreso that no one else was going after those 3 two star players. I know no one was going after selvie either but you'd just think that if no one else sees anything in the guy its more of a shot in the dark.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I really hope our staff sees something in Ivan Nicholas, Gerard Atkins, and Tyrone Williams. We seem to be at the point where we can get 3 star guys at will, and these 3 are 2 star guys who seemed to have no one else of note going after them.

I have faith that our staff knows what they are doing.  You don't want to miss out on the George Selvies just b/c you see a low star ranking.  Our staff doesn't look at stars... they look at the players and their talents and decide if they are worth going after... nothing more.  They decided these guys were worth it.  That is good enough for me.

Yeah i understand that. My issue was moreso that no one else was going after those 3 two star players. I know no one was going after selvie either but you'd just think that if no one else sees anything in the guy its more of a shot in the dark.

They were all early verbals. I think it's wrong to conclude that nobody was going after them. I remember reading one article about Atkins where he said he was still getting a lot of interest from schools recuiting him. Nicholas, the brother of Stephen, had offers, but once he gave a verbal to USF, I doubt other schools thought they could sway him away. Anyway, ALL three of these guys received POST season awards. I don't want to have to look them up, but I think Atkins was 2nd team All-Pinellas as a TE. The TE who made 1st team is a Virginia verbal, so Atkins was up against another good player at the same position. Nicholas was 1st team LB as was much more heralded Sam Barrington in their area. Tyrone Williams was not only first team LB in his region of Georgia but the defensive player of the year as well. As noted earlier, another two star player OL John McGhin was All-State 1st team.   

• Content Count:  622

Bradley Battles has been named First Team All State in 2A as a Defensive Back.

OL John McGhin has been named First Team All State in 2B.

1A-2B All state teams have come out. 3A-6A will come out throughout the rest of the week.

Didn't see this mentioned, but I may have missed it:

I-A All State

First Team

Defense

LB Chase Griffiths, Tallahassee North Florida Christian, 6-3/225, Sr.

http://theprepzoneonline.com/AllState.aspx

Nice catch.. missed him! ;) 5A/6A came out today I will check them out soon.

• Content Count:  622

I know some of these we did not get - but some we hope to get. Interesting Lang made 1st team while Scruggs was only HM.. Kelly won't be eligible, correct?

5-A

First Team

OL Kendall Kelly, Gainesville, 6-6/295, Sr.

WR Mike Lang, Largo, 6-0/187, Sr.

LB Sam Barrington, Jacksonville Terry Parker, 6-3/225, Sr.

DB Jayron Hosley, Delray Beach Atlantic, 5-10/172, Sr.

2nd Team

LB Mike Marry, Largo, 6-4/210, Sr.

HM

WR Lamar Scruggs, Neptune Beach Fletcher, 6-3/215, Sr.

-If we take care of business next season we will thrive off of the young local kids on the 5-A All State Team... Especially the Lakeland kids. It is also interesting seeing all the kids we had shots at at one point.

-

6A

First team

OL Steven Jacques, Hollywood South Broward, 6-4/285, Sr.

-6-A will have a lot of talent next year. Many of the big recruits will be coming out of the Miami area so if we beat Miami we may be able to steal some.

For example:

2nd Team:

QB Jeffrey Godfrey, Miami Central, 6-2/185, Jr.

RB Brandon Gainer, Miami Central, 6-0/190, Jr.

RB Jakhari Gore, Miami Columbus, 5-8/175, Jr.

Every Florida All State Team can be found here - Under the "Latest News" section.

http://flavarsity.rivals.com/default.asp

Kendall's coach said he MAY become eligible sometime after LOI day. Greg had a quote from him about a week ago. I don't remember his exact words, but his coach thinks he'll eventually sign with USF.

I found the blog entry:

Gainesville offensive lineman Kendall Kelly, who had committed to USF in August, will not be part of the Bulls' incoming recruiting class. Academic issues have prompted the Bulls to back off in their interest with Kelly, according to Gainesville coach Ryan Smith.

"They're dropping him. He's struggling academically, and they have a (committed) guy who's ready to go," Smith said. "They've done right by him. His test scores just aren't high enough right now, and the big schools, they have to take guys they know can make it academically. I think he's going to wind up qualifying late, but he could end up going to prep school."

Kelly, rated a three-star recruit by Scout.com, is taking night classes and doing other things to try to meet the NCAA's minimum requirements. Smith said he would not be surprised if Kelly wound up at USF as part of next year's recruiting class.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/01/gainesville-tac.html

• Content Count:  3,403

yeah, i hope Kelly makes it here in 2010 or 2011 because some thought he was the best OL recruit.  I think the consensus is that it's Jacques now (out of the true freshmen, I mean).

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

Cross Tyrone Williams off the list according to Greg.

• Content Count:  56

Yup, USF had to back off its offer to Williams becasue our class is getting full:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/02/ex-usf-commitme.html

However, add Jamar Bass to the list:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/02/coach-tackle-ba.html

Archived