• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Building new Cornhole Boards...UPDATED-started painting

mikebeau

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

wow, those are nice.  Did you have a stencil for the letters?

Here's how I did it:

I designed the layout in photoshop.  Then I printed it out full size (24x48) at work (it's an engineering firm and we have a wide document plotter for drawings).  Then I took some clear contact paper and taped it down over the printout.  I then traced the logo out with a fine sharpie.  After I was done painting the board all the colors I layed the contact paper logo down in the correct position and taped everything off.  Then I cut the logo out with an xacto knife.  I pulled the laminate paper off of where the gold portion of the logo will be.  Sprayed the whole logo with a quick coat of white one last time (using "Shaggy's painting method").  Then I sprayed the gold down.  Then I taped over the gold I just painted so that it won't get any more paint on it and pulled the contact paper up that was covering where the green will be.  Then I sprayed another coat of white over where the green will go (same method).  Then I sprayed the green.  Let it dry for a little bit and then pulled all the contact paper and tape off.  What remained was a perfect logo.  I let it dry for a day or 2 then I put about 5 coats of polycrylic on it using an HVLP sprayer.  I let those dry overnight.  Then I quickly wet sanded it with some 400 grit paper.  Then I sprayed one last coat of polycrylic.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,738

those are ridiculous

lol, thanks!

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Those are definitely top notch.  Two sets of what look like professional Corn hole boards.

That's really a fantastic job to both of you!  Where can we put down our orders?

I don't think my wife would want me spending all that time making another set.   ;)

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I still think someone should make a, "TheBullsPen.com" one with our bull logo and donate it to the board to be auctioned off.   ;D

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

I don't think my wife would want me spending all that time making another set.   ;)

No offense to other USF cornhole boards, but those are unreal.

How much time did it take you?

Depends on who you ask... my wife.. forever :) I never really added it up.  I probably spent 5 or so hours building them.  Then an hour or two puttying them (filling in the holes).  Then probably 2/3 hours sanding them.  I shoulda bought pre-sanded plywood, just got regular.  Probably 10-15 between tracing out the logo, cutting out the logo, taping off, and painting.  Then probably 3-4 hours for all the polycrylic coats and sanding before the final coat.  I might be underexaggerating a little bit.  Probably somewhere between 30-40 hours.  I just worked on it for a couple hours in the evenings that I had some time to work on it for a couple weeks.

• Content Count:  4,738

your colors look better than the glidden team colors

I looked all over for the correct colors and couldn't find them anywhere.  The green was easy, just "Hunter Green."  Everybody makes that, but the gold was the problem.  I couldn't find it anywhere.  Then one day at Walmart I went and checked their selection and they actually had 2 different spray paints that were VERY close.  So I bought 2 cans of each color and just took back the one that I didn't use.  I ended up using the one called "Champagne Nouveau" (I am like 99% sure that's what it's called).

Archived