• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thanks Greg Auman

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

Please keep this up for a while... Instead of bashing Bret (which he earns every once in a while), I for one would just like to say thank you to greg for doing such a great job with the blog.  :clap :cheers

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

My understanding of their differences in reporting styles is that Greg is like somewhere between a fan and a young sportswriter, and McMurphy is the seasoned veteran sportscaster, who emphasizes professionalism and impartiality.

Greg uses the blog for the heartbeat of the program, Brett uses his as some tidbits to toss the masses between articles.

So hands down, Greg takes the cake. I'll take enthusiasm over professionalism any day of the week when it comes to college football.

Besides, I think it was Greg who was taking pictures of me while I was studying in my USF chair outside the Sundome, 2nd in line for the Papajohn's Bowl. I'm horrible with names, so while I read the blogs, I couldn't put a name to the only reporter who covered that event.

• Content Count:  10,874

McMurphy is the seasoned veteran sportscaster, who emphasizes professionalism and impartiality.

That's hilarious, kind of like Fox News saying that they are "Fair and Balanced".

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

McMurphy is the seasoned veteran sportscaster, who emphasizes professionalism and impartiality.

That's hilarious, kind of like Fox News saying that they are "Fair and Balanced".

;D ;D ;D

IMO, Greg is much more professional in his reporting. He has often taken one of Brett's "headline grabbing" stories and has proven that Brett didn't have all the facts and the reality was much different.

• Content Count:  6,830
  • Days Won:  22

Is that REALLY you Mike? LOL

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

My understanding of their differences in reporting styles is that Greg is like somewhere between a fan and a young sportswriter, and McMurphy is the seasoned veteran sportscaster, who emphasizes professionalism and impartiality.

Greg uses the blog for the heartbeat of the program, Brett uses his as some tidbits to toss the masses between articles.

So hands down, Greg takes the cake. I'll take enthusiasm over professionalism any day of the week when it comes to college football.

Besides, I think it was Greg who was taking pictures of me while I was studying in my USF chair outside the Sundome, 2nd in line for the Papajohn's Bowl. I'm horrible with names, so while I read the blogs, I couldn't put a name to the only reporter who covered that event.

How can you openly bash someone's professionalism if you've never even met them? Greg is one of the most professional people I have ever worked with.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I don't think Greg is a fan...he's a Gator (beat Sheriff to it).

• Content Count:  1,304

Hold on.. I wasn't saying that Brett was more professional in fact, I'm saying he tries to sound more professional. In that his updates are typical bread and butter news stories. Like an old schooler.

Greg really gets into details and you can tell he has a passion for what he does. I'm not bashing Greg at all, I'm kinda bashing Brett if anything.

I used the term professional to describe the reporter's stance. There is a general school of thought out there that thinks a reporter should be impartial to his stories, and just report the facts and remain independent. Thats what I meant by professional. In this sense, it does not mean "better." Not at all.

Greg uses the blog more effectively by giving us more information, telling us what it takes to cover these stories. He puts himself into the story. Thats what a blog is for. You aren't supposed to be so stiff in a blog. The standards on what you report lower in a blog. So its supposed to be less professional, as a reporter. He's doing it right.

The issue on the blogs is not Greg's approach versus Brett's approach... it's the difference between the way the Times as an organization approaches blogs and the way the Tampa Tribune (make that Media General) approaches blogs.

Media General has no clue what they're doing or why -- all they seem to know is their competitors are doing it, so they better try it too.

Archived