• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

just noticed something interesting on mattgrothe.com

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

i was just looking under the stats section from last year for matt and i noticed something pretty interesting about our 3 consecutive losses to ru, uconn, and cincy.  all 3 of those games matt attempted more passes than he had any other game all season.  in addition to that, he attempted to run the ball more times those 3 games than any other game all season.  wow.  what does that tell me?  well, for starters it tells me the coaching staff put ALL of their trust in matt during these 3 games and had basically no faith in anyone other than him.  while i cant necessarily knock that theory when i first think about it because u want the ball in the hands of your best player, it obviously shows matt needs more playmakers around him.  i think next year with a year under our young rb's belts, it will help take some of that pressure off him.  pretty strange eh?

http://www.mattgrothe.com/07stats.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,249

i was just looking under the stats section from last year for matt and i noticed something pretty interesting about our 3 consecutive losses to ru, uconn, and cincy.  all 3 of those games matt attempted more passes than he had any other game all season.  in addition to that, he attempted to run the ball more times those 3 games than any other game all season.  wow.  what does that tell me?  well, for starters it tells me the coaching staff put ALL of their trust in matt during these 3 games and had basically no faith in anyone other than him.  while i cant necessarily knock that theory when i first think about it because u want the ball in the hands of your best player, it obviously shows matt needs more playmakers around him.  i think next year with a year under our young rb's belts, it will help take some of that pressure off him.  pretty strange eh?

it's a chicken or egg type thing.

did the coaching staff plan to put it all on Grothe, or did Grothe take over out of necessity because nobody else was getting it done?

it's a chicken or egg type thing.

did the coaching staff plan to put it all on Grothe, or did Grothe take over out of necessity?

matt doesnt call plays. 

matt doesnt call plays. 

really?!?!?!  well thanks for the news flash, captain obvious.

he does, however, improvise a lot.  if he ran more, factor in scrambles on broken pass plays.

pass plays also tend to increase when the team is penalized excessively for holding, false start, etc., which is a result of other players not getting it done.

feel free to respond by telling me the sky is blue, tho.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

when you are behind, you have to pass more. With Grothe's style, if no one is open or he sees an opening, he/s running.

Unless you look at all games and not just losses, you can't make a viable assertion imo.

when you are behind, you have to pass more. With Grothe's style, if no one is open or he sees an opening, he/s running.

Unless you look at all games and not just losses, you can't make a viable assertion imo.

good point.

matt doesnt call plays. 

really?!?!?!  well thanks for the news flash, captain obvious.

he does, however, improvise a lot.  if he ran more, factor in scrambles on broken pass plays.

pass plays also tend to increase when the team is penalized excessively for holding, false start, etc., which is a result of other players not getting it done.

feel free to respond by telling me the sky is blue, tho.

all im trying to say is those stats are pretty strange considering those were our 3 regular season losses, especially consecutively.  oh, and the sky is blue.  now go **** yourself.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

That explains Cincy and UConn since we were down, but not Rutgers.  The easiest answer is that we didn't do a good enough job running the football in those games.  Thats why we threw so much.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Could it have something to do with Walt being out? Did we only run behind him this year?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

That explains Cincy and UConn since we were down, but not Rutgers.  The easiest answer is that we didn't do a good enough job running the football in those games.  Thats why we threw so much.

we were down in the fourth quarter. We passed and Grothe ran quite a bit towards the end of the game

Archived