• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New School of Music!!!

Bulls 8_va

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

The official plans are up and the New School of Music will have its ground-breaking this September.  It will open in the Fall of 2010.

It looks AMAZING!!!  It will be right behind the pshyc building and will use the new Laurel Drive parking facility.

After they finish the new MC, they will move all of that Construction equipment to the area behind the pshyc building and start breaking ground. 

Its an amazing facility and has us on par and in some ways better than the Indiana's, Southern Cal's and Florida State's of the world. 

It is a 3-story complex complete with 2 Concert halls, Recital halls, 2x the amount of Practice rooms.  And individual rehearsal rooms for the Choral, Orchestral, Wind, and Jazz Departments.  Its truly a joy to see the plans in person.

They are on display right now at the current FAH School of Music because of Auditions for incoming freshman. 

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Great news.  Is that a rendering of the new building in your sig?

• Content Count:  1,251

dude honestly i cant take this anymore......its not fair......i came to USF as a freshemn in fall '04 and there has been barely anything new built on campus.........now im about to graduate and their building something new every freken day........im very jealous haha

o well.......maybe ill go to grad school to enjoy it all.......

one thing I do know......at the rate this school is building and renivating.......USF is going to be NASTY in about 5 years.......people are going to step on campus and be like "Woah"

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

My dreams of a school of economics never come true. :(

congrats to the music department though!

• Content Count:  280

Congrats! The plans as you've described them sound amazing. Pretty soon we won't even recognize this campus....in a good way!

• Content Count:  971

Though I never majored in music, I took a number of elective courses there.  A well-deserved addition to the campus.  Back in the 1970s, the School of Music had the reputation as being the very best in Fla.  And their performance groups backed that up.  Have they been able to keep up those high standards over the years?  I've lost touch.

Though I never majored in music, I took a number of elective courses there.  A well-deserved addition to the campus.  Back in the 1970s, the School of Music had the reputation as being the very best in Fla.  And their performance groups backed that up.  Have they been able to keep up those high standards over the years?  I've lost touch.

The USF School of Music has been a staple of the Arts in the State of Florida for quite sometime, and the new building has been deserved for a long time. 

USF still has - arguably - the most experienced and talented faculty for Music in the State of Florida.  As far as Music Education is concerned, USF leads the state and much of the Southeast US.  In fact, the Florida Music Educators Association Conference (FMEA) meets in Tampa every year.  There have been MANY big names that have come through USF.  In fact, USF has been the home to many famous conductors who have since gotten jobs as Directors of Bands at Universities like Texas, Northwestern, and Florida State.  USF's Chuck Owen(Professor of Jazz Studies) is the Current President of the International Association of Jazz Education(IAJE).  Thankfully because of the Student body, USF has been able to keep most of its award-winning faculty, however it has always been hard because of the horrendous facilities we have had. 

A facility like this will allow USF to reach the potential it has always had.  As well as garner a new found pride for its students in the School. 

The sole reason I came to USF from Ft. Lauderdale (for Trumpet) was because of the great Trumpet professor we have.  The opportunities at the USF School of Music are unparalleled to any other University in the State.  Personally...I, as well as, 10 other members of the Trumpet Studio will be representing USF in the National Trumpet Competition this March in Washington DC.  Some of us have been accepted with Solo performances, and we had our Trumpet Ensemble accepted for the 4th year in a row...competing against schools like Julliard, New England Conservatory, Eastman School of Music, Indiana, and Northwestern. 

This building has been a long time coming and all of us at the School of Music are very excited about it. 

Unfortunately I'll be graduating in May...lol So I won't even use it!!! But you better believe that my Phi Mu Alpha brothers and me went over the grounds of the blueprints to find the good tailgating spots for when we tailgate on campus someday...lol

GO BULLS!!!

Thanks for the tremendous update.  As a former trumpet player myself, I was drawn to USF by their music program, though I never pursued music as a profession.  Good luck at the competition.  I would truly love to hear that.  I'm hoping the Music Dept. will make some CDs featuring the best groups and show pieces for sale through the Bookstore.  I miss all the free concerts I used to go to as a student.  Glad to hear you guys are still top-notch.  When I was a student, Don Owen was the Zen Master of Trumpet at USF.  Is he still there?  That was a long time ago . . . GO BULLS!

Thanks for the tremendous update.  As a former trumpet player myself, I was drawn to USF by their music program, though I never pursued music as a profession.  Good luck at the competition.  I would truly love to hear that.  I'm hoping the Music Dept. will make some CDs featuring the best groups and show pieces for sale through the Bookstore.  I miss all the free concerts I used to go to as a student.  Glad to hear you guys are still top-notch.  When I was a student, Don Owen was the Zen Master of Trumpet at USF.  Is he still there?  That was a long time ago . . . GO BULLS!

Don still pops his head in and out, hes professor emeritus.  The current Professor of Trumpet is Dr. Jay Coble.  He's been at USF since 1998.  He was a former Studio Pro out in LA and member of the Buddy Rich Big Band.  He's pretty much played with everyone and has been taught by some of the greatest trumpet pedagog's in the world.  His primary method of teaching is the through the teachings of Bill Adam.  Bill Adam used to be professor of Trumpet at Indiana until he retired. 

Mr. Adam's taught everybody (including Dr. Coble @ IU), in fact, some of Dr. Coble friends from Indiana are Chris Botti and Charley Davis(Lead Trumpet for Fox's Family Guy)

USF Trumpet Studio ROCKS!!!

You're right about the CD thing.  Not so sure why we don't do more of that.  We do record all the concerts we do and I believe there are CD's made but they never go out for public sale.  Copyright issues...i think.

GO BULLS!!!

You most certainly are one helluva good trumpeter to be in such good company.  Now, go to law school and solve those copyright issues so I can listen to some good music.  Thanks!

Archived