• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pearl River Question

Rizman

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,341
  • Days Won:  10

Ok, according to Greg's blog we are 0-4 or something like that on Pearl River.  What happened to Spires I thought he was suppose to be the man.

Carlton Hill transferred out I believe is that correct?

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

we just landed soe big PRCC recruits.  not sure what you mean?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

In the past, we had four recruits who went from Pearl River to USF and they haven't panned out.

Frank Harry, a four star DL, stayed at USF for about a week, got homesick and left.

Gene Coleman, originally signed with USF out of HS, went to Pearl River and recommitted to USF, but still couldn't become eligible.

Carlton Hill, returned to USF after PRCC, but the school still wouldn't admit him. He was expected to return this fall, but decided he will go somewhere else to play QB.

Donte Spires, elected not to travel to our Bowl game and since has left football, for personal reasons. Leavitt said he would take him back if he changed his mind. 

• Content Count:  4,642

oh ok gotcha.  thanks mama.

hopefully our streak ends with these new recruits.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

In the past, we had four recruits who went from Pearl River to USF and they haven't panned out.

Frank Harry, a four star DL, stayed at USF for about a week, got homesick and left.

Gene Coleman, originally signed with USF out of HS, went to Pearl River and recommitted to USF, but still couldn't become eligible.

Carlton Hill, returned to USF after PRCC, but the school still wouldn't admit him. He was expected to return this fall, but decided he will go somewhere else to play QB.

Donte Spires, elected not to travel to our Bowl game and since has left football, for personal reasons. Leavitt said he would take him back if he changed his mind. 

Spires was the real deal, losing him hurt.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Yep, I'd say we were 1/4 with Spires being a bright spot.  There's no doubt in my mind that Spires' career would have been above average.  Also, unlike the others, Spires contributed last year.  He actually started at Pitt and was credited with a sack.   

• Content Count:  2,523

I missed this bit on Spires.  Let me get this straight, he's done with football at USF now?  The guy looked like he was going to be a lot better than average from what I saw and heard about the kid.  That really sucks...

I missed this bit on Spires.  Let me get this straight, he's done with football at USF now?  The guy looked like he was going to be a lot better than average from what I saw and heard about the kid.  That really sucks...

From SPT 1/2/08:

... USF coach Jim Leavitt reiterated that linebacker Donte Spires' decision to leave the team before the bowl had nothing to do with football or with academics. Robert Weiner, who coached Spires at Plant, said Spires had told him his heart wasn't in football anymore. Leavitt said he'll leave the door open for Spires. ...

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/02/news_pf/Sports/Ducks_able_to_wing_it.shtml

• Content Count:  2,523

Thanks Mama Bull.  Doubt he comes back though.  Hate to see him throw away an opportunity to get a degree though...

Thanks Mama Bull.  Doubt he comes back though.  Hate to see him throw away an opportunity to get a degree though...

I don't know if he left USF itself. There may have been something about that in another article, but I don't remember.

Archived