• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mind numbing UCF/USF drivel, et al

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Well, you don't have to use that model.  In fact, there are ethical issues with that model.  I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why building a strip mall on your campus is good for academic enrichment.  It is not even remotely the same thing as a student union as mentioned.

How is leasing or giving away land/facilities to private companies being a good steward of state resources?  I don't get it.  I do get the fact that everyone in charge but Hitt is no longer with your school.

Secondly, can anyone name another school that has such facilities on campus property?

ETHICAL issues?  HUH???  If you don't want universities to sell their souls to corporate america, then maybe we should kick Beef O' Brady's and Moe's out of the Marshall Center.  While we're at it, we could kick out Starbucks from the library.

And to answer your previous question if I'd visit the athletic village after class, the answer is YES.  I actually like studying at bookstores, so I'd probably study at that Barnes & Noble (or whatever bookstore UCF has in that strip), and I'd probably grab a bite to eat while I'm down there.  If they have a barbershop, I'd get my haircut.

Do you even understand the argument?  All the things you listed are managed by the university dining organization (whatever that is these days)  I'm not so sure that is the case on UCF.  These are stand alone enterprises leasing property and making profits on a state run university.  I didn't realize state schools are in the commercial realestate business.

Of course, I don't have all the facts on UCF because my caring is only about surface deep, but from the looks of what has gone on there, I have issues with it.  I'm sure many other people would too if they would think about it.

So I ask any, can ANYONE name me another state run school that has done something like this?  

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

So I ask any, can ANYONE name me another state run school that has done something like this?  

LOL!!! NO, not in the state of FLA.

That's why Dr Hitt/UCF did it in the FIRST PLACE!!!

It's great to be FIRST in a few things....

I haven't been to the new Arena yet for a game but it's definitely the gem of the Athletic Village, the football stadium serves it's purpose but doesn't compare to the arena but hopefully upgrades will be done with time. It's like it's own little downtown which is kind of cool w/ the dorms right there, you basically have that area then the opposite side of campus by the fitness center/rec pool as the 2 centers of activity for student living on campus w/ the Student Union in the middle, nice planning by the university wigheads....maybe USF would do something similar if there is room on campus. You basically have to use that model when your campus is not situated in a college town like Gainesville or Tallahassee where the town mixes in w/ their campuses....you have to make your campus like a town to create a similar atmosphere for the students.

Well, you don't have to use that model.  In fact, there are ethical issues with that model.  I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why building a strip mall on your campus is good for academic enrichment.  It is not even remotely the same thing as a student union as mentioned.

How is leasing or giving away land/facilities to private companies being a good steward of state resources?  I don't get it.  I do get the fact that everyone in charge but Hitt is no longer with your school.

Secondly, can anyone name another school that has such facilities on campus property?

I understand you questioning an ethics part of it but it's simply a strategy UCF used to compete w/ the other state schools and it has worked in my opinion. Pre 2000 is was pretty easy to get into UCF but now it's pretty difficult, gradually getting more difficult every year. UCF was built w/ the circular model that made it walkable and appealing even before the added village on the north side. Hitt and company thought enhancing the campus life/amenities was a priority and thought a lot of potential high quality students would take it into account to steal a few away from UF and other schools. There was a St. Pete Times and Oracle article on this topic a year ago that sums it up pretty good about the options at UF and UCF's campus even on late night weekends, all things that students take into account along w/ their intended Academic track. I'm not sure other schools that have tried the same thing but I think FAU may try it but the economy might slow down the process for them. Most schools that need to do this are either 'city schools' or in UCF's case a 'suburban' school. If you have been to Gainesville, they have a strip right across campus w/ restaurants and bars that's technically off campus but you would never know you left campus....across the street from UCF's north side you have deed restricted neighborhoods so you have to build it up your own way to erase the commuter image.

UCF finds its amenities are academic

The Orlando college is setting the standard for state schools with its attention to student life.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/14/State/UCF_finds_its_ameniti.shtml

USF must improve campus facilities...and be more like UCF

http://www.usforacle.com/2.6025/1.619845

What's interesting in the St Pete Times article...that was a front page feature story in the life (or personal interest whatever section) section in the Sunday paper (largest circulation of the week), the day after UCF came to play at USF.

Also...isn't it interesting that the USF AD talks for the very first time about maybe building a new arena basically immediately AFTER USF Hoop's first ever visit to the new UCF Arena?

Here's another article from the West Coach of FLA that talked a lot about how UCF's campus is unique compared to any other in the state...as this story originally ran in the Bradenton/Sarasota Paper (Herald Tribune):

Amenities give UCF cachet with students Perks that go beyond the classroom help lure top performers.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-32890961_ITM

ETHICAL issues?  HUH???  If you don't want universities to sell their souls to corporate america, then maybe we should kick Beef O' Brady's and Moe's out of the Marshall Center.  While we're at it, we could kick out Starbucks from the library.

And to answer your previous question if I'd visit the athletic village after class, the answer is YES.  I actually like studying at bookstores, so I'd probably study at that Barnes & Noble (or whatever bookstore UCF has in that strip), and I'd probably grab a bite to eat while I'm down there.  If they have a barbershop, I'd get my haircut.

Do you even understand the argument?  All the things you listed are managed by the university dining organization (whatever that is these days)  I'm not so sure that is the case on UCF.  These are stand alone enterprises leasing property and making profits on a state run university.  I didn't realize state schools are in the commercial real estate business.

Of course, I don't have all the facts on UCF because my caring is only about surface deep, but from the looks of what has gone on there, I have issues with it.  I'm sure many other people would too if they would think about it.

Yeah...guess USF should tear down the Moffitt Cancer Center then!!!  :D :D :D

default.jpg

Also...didn't USF lease some land to a private business called EMBASSY SUITES?

Guess you have to tear this down too:

TPAFRES_Embassy_Suites_Tampa-USF_Near_Busch_Gardens_home_right.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Since another thread has veered away from the athletics side of things .....

Do you even understand the argument?  All the things you listed are managed by the university dining organization (whatever that is these days)  I'm not so sure that is the case on UCF.  These are stand alone enterprises leasing property and making profits on a state run university.  I didn't realize state schools are in the commercial real estate business.

Yeah...guess USF should tear down the Moffitt Cancer Center then!!!  :D :D :D

default.jpg

Also...didn't USF lease some land to a private business called EMBASSY SUITES?

Guess you have to tear this down too:

TPAFRES_Embassy_Suites_Tampa-USF_Near_Busch_Gardens_home_right.jpg

You are reaching on both points...

Do you really want to go there about moffitt, seing that the anchor of your Med Campus is really there for UF...  I give you the Embassy Suites, but there are many universities that have a hotel on campus.  It was built in support of the research park, which is academic  in nature and is within the normal business of a university.

USF has not built a strip mall to fund atheltic ventures...  Maybe that's in the plans.  If cash strapped UCF can do it, we certainly can too. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037

Moffitt is connected to USF medical school by a short walkway, and is a learning environment for med students so that is a moot point. Additionally, USF undergrads and professors do research at Moffitt. It's not a restraunt or anything. I think Zero makes some salient points. It sounds like UCF is selling state property to build amenities to keep their students entertained. It doesn't sound right.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

It sounds like UCF is selling state property to build amenities to keep their students entertained.

In light of not too distant police blotter stories, hopefully UCF doesn't plan to sell any of their property to build a day care ..... This "keeping students entertained" should have its limits.

I give you the Embassy Suites, but there are many universities that have a hotel on campus.  It was built in support of the research park, which is academic  in nature and is within the normal business of a university.

USF has not built a strip mall to fund athletic ventures...  Maybe that's in the plans.  If cash strapped UCF can do it, we certainly can too.   

I totally agree...but it takes VISION from leadership to seek out and secure opportunities at hand...as most GOOD opportunities have to be sought out...as great ideas normally don't wait.

As noted...just a "strip mall" will not be enough to support anything...but it was to be built in a way around a setting to attract day-to-day customers (i.e. dorms) and around special events tied to a facility (i.e. arena, football stadium, special events like Light Up UCF, etc...).

I totally agree...but it takes VISION from leadership to seek out and secure opportunities at hand...as most GOOD opportunities have to be sought out...as great ideas normally don't wait.

Or a slickmiester pitchman and tied to an administration that is attracted to shiny objects...