• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tony Barnhart's 2008 Early Pre-Season Top 25

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

Dogs are preseason No. 1

By Tony Barnhart | Monday, January 7, 2008, 03:30 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

TONY BARNHART’S EARLY TOP 25 FOR 2008

(Last season’s record in parentheses)

(Editor’s Note: In a rare mistake, Tony overlooked the Sooners, who he has inserted at No. 13.)

1. Georgia (11-2): The Dawgs return 17 starters and to them add redshirt RB Caleb King and incoming freshman A.J. Green, one of the top high school receivers in the country. The road schedule looks really tough. Make your plans for Jacksonville (vs. Florida) now.

2. Southern Cal (11-2): Arkansas transfer Mitch Mustain will compete with Mark Sanchez to replace John David Booty at quarterback. Either one will do the job well and the Trojans will just keep on rolling.

3. Ohio State (11-1): Only two seniors were in the starting lineup for Monday night’s BCS championship game with LSU. The Buckeyes will again be class of the Big Ten in 2008.

4. Florida (9-4): The Gators return two of the best offensive players in college football, Heisman Trophy winner QB Tim Tebow and WR Percy Harvin. Next season they will finally have a big-time running back in Southern Cal transfer Emmanuel Moody.

5. Missouri (12-2): If RB Tony Temple is granted another year of eligibility due to a medical hardship, he’ll join QB Chase Daniel and WR Jeremy Maclin to form the nation’s best offense.

6. West Virginia (11-2): Pat White will return at quarterback but we’re not so sure about running back Steve Slaton. But if he comes back as well the Mountaineers will be favored to win Big East again under new coach Bill Stewart.

7. LSU (11-2): The Tigers lose the most successful senior class in school history, but a ton of great players return. Among them will be Ryan Perrilloux, who will finally get his turn to be the full time quarterback.

8. Illinois (9-4): The Illini got hammered in the Rose Bowl, but they return QB Juice Williams and WR Arrelious Benn. Ron Zook will miss RB Reshard Mendenhall, who decided to turn pro.

9. Texas (10-3): Coach Mack Brown found out late in the season that he needed to start giving his team some tough love. With QB Colt McCoy returning, look for the Longhorns to play Missouri for the Big 12 title.

10. Clemson (9-4): If everybody returns, Clemson could win the ACC championship next season. QB Cullen Harper of Alpharetta will be a senior and could have running backs James Davis and C.J.Spiller again. The defense returns nine starters.

11. Kansas (12-1): Quarterback Todd Reesing (3,486 yards, 33 TD) will return for his junior season but the defense will be without CB Aquib Talib, who is turning pro.

12. Auburn (9-4): Tommy Tuberville’s change in offense will pay dividends in 2008 as QB Cody Burns becomes a star. The Tigers will have to replace defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, who left for Texas.

13. Oklahoma (10-3): It will not be a fun off-season in Norman after the Sooners got embarrassed (48-28) in the Fiesta Bowl. But there is reason for optimism. Quarterback Sam Bradford (3,121 yards, 36 TDs) returns as does running back DeMarco Murray (764 yards, 13 TD). The Sooners will miss running back Allen Patrick (1,009 yards).

14. Arizona State (10-3): With QB Rudy Carpenter (3,202 yards passing) coming back, the Sun Devils will be the second best team in the Pac-10.

15. Virginia Tech (11-3): Both quarterbacks, Tyrod Taylor and Sean Glennon, plus running back Brandon Ore return for the ACC champions. The Hokies will miss linebackers Vince Hall and Xavier Adibi.

16. BYU (11-2): With sophomore QB Max Hall (3,848 yards, 26 TD) returning next season, the Cougars will again be the class of the Mountain West.

17. Tennessee (10-4): The Volunteers have to find a new quarterback and replace most of their offensive staff, but there are a lot of good young players on this team, including sophomore DB Eric Berry.

18. Wisconsin (9-4): Sophomore running back P.J. Hill will be a Heisman Trophy candidate as the Badgers challenge Ohio State and Illinois in the Big Ten.

19. Wake Forest (9-4): The Deacons won nine games this season after winning the ACC championship in 2006. QB Riley Skinner (2,204 yards, 12 TD) returns.

20. Texas Tech (9-4): Quarterback Graham Harrell (5,705 yards, 48 TD) returns for his senior season with a chance to break every major passing record at Texas Tech. Harrell will have the nation’s best young receiver, rising sophomore Michael Crabtree, again as his primary target.

21. Penn State (9-4): The Nittany Lions have to replace QB Anthony Morrelli and RB Rodney Kinlaw but Joe Pa, 81 years young, is ready to return for his 43rd season as head coach.

22. Michigan (9-4): Rich Rodriguez takes over a program that loses a bunch of good seniors, but his offense will be hard to handle for the rest of the Big Ten. By the end of the 2008 season the Wolverines will be pretty competitive.

23. Boise State (10-3): With Hawaii coach June Jones gone to SMU, look for Boise State to return as the WAC’s best program. TB Ian Johnson returns for his senior season but the Broncos have another great back in Jeremy Avery.

24. Connecticut (9-4): With sophomore running back Andre Dixon (828 rushing) and junior QB Tyler Lorenzen (2,367 yards, 13 TD) both returning, the Huskies could challenge West Virginia for the Big East championship.

25. Oregon State (9-4): The Beavers return a pair of talented quarterbacks in Sean Canfield (1,661) and Lyle Moevao (876) yards who will fight it out in the spring for the starting job. But Oregon State will miss RB Yvenson Bernard (1,214 rushing, 13 TD).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I like FlipFlops attitude, eff the rat bastages, and let's just run the freakin table on the BE.  Shut em all up.  UConn will get stomped into a mud hole in Tampa - early prediction.

• Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

This will be my response to this thread and the next 100 like it between now and next season. WHO CARES. POLLS MEAN NOTHING. JUST WIN BABY!!!. Go Bulls!!

The good thing is that we have the opportunity to take down his #11 (Kansas) in both teams third game of 2008.  They play FIU and LaTech, which they should win easily so they shouldn't drop any at all.  We just have to stay humble and hungry for an entire season and start strong-finish strong in every game.

Here's another for you from the BleacherReport.com, as worthless as the screen you would read it off of:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5748-College_Football-An_Early_Top_25_For_The_2008_College_Football_Season-030108

25 - Mississippi State: Why? Because I find it hard not to believe in Sylvester Croom. This is a man who knows his football, and more importantly, the kids believe in him. I believe this is a team ready to take the next step and cause havoc in the SEC, especially in a season in which LSU and Auburn will have new starting quarterbacks.

#24 - Notre Dame: I have no idea why I have them ranked. Something just tells me that they pull out some tough wins to get to eight wins on the season.

#23 - BYU: Because they are religious and they will pray to their god....Mitt Romney.

#22 - Alabama: Yes, they lose to Croom again. It's called penance. But I think they also finally beat Auburn.

#21 - Florida State: I think this may have been the most impressive victory of the Bowl Season so far...and they lost! If they don't face massive sanctions I think they have a chance to claim their division.

#20 - UCF: Mr. Smith returns. Mr. O'Leary returns. UCF learns how to pass a little.

#19 - UCLA: How does Rick Neuheisel avoid a NCAA Tourney pool with that basketball team?!? Oh, and he is a good coach.

#18 - Tennessee: The Great Pumpkin is a good coach and people in Orange Nation should be happy with what they have.

#17 - Auburn: They are going to try the spread next year with a new quarterback named Burns. They will do just that to a lot of defenses.

#16 - Illinois: I meant to put them here, and then I put Wisconsin here. To be honest I am going to end up being way wrong either way.

#15 - Clemson: Honestly, I think a darkhorse to run the table. But it's Clemson and they are always a darkhorse, and they always disappoint.

#14 - Michigan: I think Lloyd Carr did his last great coaching move in the bowl game and unleashed the team for R-Rod. Another school that should have been happier with their coach.

#13 - Texas Tech: Another darkhorse. Mike Leach is a lawyer. Enough said.

#12 - Kansas: I think this team is a lot better than people give them credit for and I think they are going to start proving it.

#11 - Texas: I know Charles is leaving, but that was an impressive win in the bowl game. They also have Colt McCoy coming back, and he doesn't look like that other Colt after the Sugar Bowl.

#10 - LSU: Ryan Perilloux gets his time. But they lose Glenn Dorsey.

#9   - Oregon: I think they found a new quarterback. Now, if they could only get rid of those old plain uniforms.....

#8   - Virginia Tech: I had a friend that called the LSU-VT game earlier this year "The Tragedy Bowl" and that is reason enough to place them this high.

#7   - Arizona State: They have one heck of a coach. They weren't even supposed to be good this year. I think they unleash the devil. And their cheerleaders are hot.

#6   - Ohio State: All they do is win. Except when playing the SEC. Shoot me if I ever wear a sweater vest.

#5   - Oklahoma: Yes, I forgot about them. Yes, I had to make two number fives to put them in. Yes, I can count. Yes, this makes about as much sense as the BCS. Yes, unlike most people, I will admit to drinking the Kool-Aid.

#5   - Florida: Don't Tase me Bro!!!

#4   - USC: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you this decade's Florida State, never out of the Top 4.

#3   - Georgia: This team is loaded. So is their schedule. No way they get through unscathed.

#2   - Missouri: This team brings back tons of talent and next year they have the experience to take it all the way. Too bad they don't have fans that travel.

#1   - West Virginia: I think this is a team on the cusp of greatness. Not to mention the weak conference they are in.

Teams I found hard to leave out: Pittsburgh, Washington, Georgia Tech, Miami, Wisconsin, California, Penn State, Cincinnati, South Carolina.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Here's another for you from the BleacherReport.com, as worthless as the screen you would read it off of:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5748-College_Football-An_Early_Top_25_For_The_2008_College_Football_Season-030108

25 - Mississippi State: Why? Because I find it hard not to believe in Sylvester Croom. This is a man who knows his football, and more importantly, the kids believe in him. I believe this is a team ready to take the next step and cause havoc in the SEC, especially in a season in which LSU and Auburn will have new starting quarterbacks.

#24 - Notre Dame: I have no idea why I have them ranked. Something just tells me that they pull out some tough wins to get to eight wins on the season.

#23 - BYU: Because they are religious and they will pray to their god....Mitt Romney.

#22 - Alabama: Yes, they lose to Croom again. It's called penance. But I think they also finally beat Auburn.

#21 - Florida State: I think this may have been the most impressive victory of the Bowl Season so far...and they lost! If they don't face massive sanctions I think they have a chance to claim their division.

#20 - UCF: Mr. Smith returns. Mr. O'Leary returns. UCF learns how to pass a little.

#19 - UCLA: How does Rick Neuheisel avoid a NCAA Tourney pool with that basketball team?!? Oh, and he is a good coach.

#18 - Tennessee: The Great Pumpkin is a good coach and people in Orange Nation should be happy with what they have.

#17 - Auburn: They are going to try the spread next year with a new quarterback named Burns. They will do just that to a lot of defenses.

#16 - Illinois: I meant to put them here, and then I put Wisconsin here. To be honest I am going to end up being way wrong either way.

#15 - Clemson: Honestly, I think a darkhorse to run the table. But it's Clemson and they are always a darkhorse, and they always disappoint.

#14 - Michigan: I think Lloyd Carr did his last great coaching move in the bowl game and unleashed the team for R-Rod. Another school that should have been happier with their coach.

#13 - Texas Tech: Another darkhorse. Mike Leach is a lawyer. Enough said.

#12 - Kansas: I think this team is a lot better than people give them credit for and I think they are going to start proving it.

#11 - Texas: I know Charles is leaving, but that was an impressive win in the bowl game. They also have Colt McCoy coming back, and he doesn't look like that other Colt after the Sugar Bowl.

#10 - LSU: Ryan Perilloux gets his time. But they lose Glenn Dorsey.

#9   - Oregon: I think they found a new quarterback. Now, if they could only get rid of those old plain uniforms.....

#8   - Virginia Tech: I had a friend that called the LSU-VT game earlier this year "The Tragedy Bowl" and that is reason enough to place them this high.

#7   - Arizona State: They have one heck of a coach. They weren't even supposed to be good this year. I think they unleash the devil. And their cheerleaders are hot.

#6   - Ohio State: All they do is win. Except when playing the SEC. Shoot me if I ever wear a sweater vest.

#5   - Oklahoma: Yes, I forgot about them. Yes, I had to make two number fives to put them in. Yes, I can count. Yes, this makes about as much sense as the BCS. Yes, unlike most people, I will admit to drinking the Kool-Aid.

#5   - Florida: Don't Tase me Bro!!!

#4   - USC: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you this decade's Florida State, never out of the Top 4.

#3   - Georgia: This team is loaded. So is their schedule. No way they get through unscathed.

#2   - Missouri: This team brings back tons of talent and next year they have the experience to take it all the way. Too bad they don't have fans that travel.

#1   - West Virginia: I think this is a team on the cusp of greatness. Not to mention the weak conference they are in.

Teams I found hard to leave out: Pittsburgh, Washington, Georgia Tech, Miami, Wisconsin, California, Penn State, Cincinnati, South Carolina.

Here's the pic of the gentleman who put together that Top 25 ....

Bird_Face.jpg

Exactly how I had him pictured...

Archived