• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ducks beat bulldogs NOT BULLS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Bulls stunned after worst loss since 2002 season

By Lenny Jurado / El Paso Times

Article Launched: 12/31/2007 10:28:30 PM MST

Wide receiver Taurus Johnson of South Florida hauled in a pass despite taking a big hit from Oregon's Matthew Harper on Monday during the 74th Annual Brut Sun Bowl. (Rudy Gutierrez / El Paso Times)

Videos: Fan Fiesta | Festivities | Questions

Galleries: Fan Fiesta | Game | Halftime | Post game

Sun Bowl section

The University of South Florida's worst defeat since 2002 was a head-scratcher for football head coach Jim Leavitt on Monday.

After going into halftime down only four points to Oregon, the Bulldogs floundered amid five second-half turnovers and were ran out of the 74th Annual Brut Sun Bowl 56-21 losers.

It was USF's biggest loss margin since a 42-3 drubbing at the hands of Arkansas on Sept. 14, 2002.

"With the score 18 to 14 (in the first half), I thought we were battling pretty good," Leavitt said. "The second half, I can't explain what happened with that. We didn't play good enough defense, and that's all there is to it. We're usually a better defensive team than that. ... That combined with the turnovers, you're not going to have any shot at all. "

USF had played clean football for two quarters -- aside from committing seven penalties for 59 yards during that span. The Bulldogs scored on a pair of Delbert Alvarado field goals (29, 35 yards), along with a 21-yard touchdown pass from Matt Grothe to Taurus Johnson.

Of course, Oregon's 11 penalties for 108 yards in the first half also helped USF's cause.

However, the scene changed drastically in the second half.

Oregon (10-4) rolled off 28 unanswered points in the third quarter -- the most ever by a USF opponent -- and held the Bulldogs to just one more score.

"Oregon just played better than we did, and it's as simple as that; it was obvious," Leavitt said. "They controlled the line of scrimmage, we couldn't run the ball and they did run the ball. When you get down to it, that was a big thing. They also were able to hit a lot of wheel routes and exploited our secondary a number of times, and when they need to get out and throw, they threw on the perimeter and did some things there. And offensively, we didn't play a really good game as well."

The game quickly got away from USF midway through the third quarter.

On USF's third possession, Grothe had his first pass attempt pass intercepted by defensive back Walter Thurmond and returned 25 yards to the end zone. Then just three plays into the next drive, Oregon defensive back Jairus Byrd recorded his first of two interceptions in the half.

"I was very pleased," Ducks head coach Mike Bellotti said of the defense. "Our defense has been very opportunistic all year and unbelievable in the red zone."

Oregon turned the turnover into a touchdown for a commanding 46-14 lead and cruised the rest of the way.

Byrd had his second interception in the fourth quarter, then defensive end Michael DiVincenzo picked off USF backup quarterback Grant Gregory and ran it back 15 yards for the game's final touchdown.

USF's lone second-half score came on an 11-yard pass from Gregory to Nate Allen with 6:34 remaining.

Leavitt found few bright spots from his team in the final quarters.

"I thought Delbert punted well, he kicked well," Leavitt said of the sophomore, who averaged 44.2 yards on six punts. "Those things were positive, but other than that, not a lot of great things."

Even so, Leavitt kept the loss for his 11-year program in perspective. The Bulldogs once were ranked No. 2 in the nation and finished 9-3.

"I'm proud of my football team," Leavitt said. "When you lose like that, you've got to be careful (not) to define your team by 30 minutes of football, and that's something that I think is very, very important."

Lenny Jurado may be reached at ljurado@elpasotimes.com; 546-6167.http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_7853864

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I ALready emailed reporter this morning and telling him he should resign as this is an unforgiveable mistake

• Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  0

They called us Bulldogs on TV a few times, as well.

Pathetic.

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

Wow.  I guess you let an opponent put up 50 on you and they can call you whatever they want?

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Maybe the bulldogs can be the alter ego team of usf, lucky for us they don't play that often.

• Content Count:  253

That makes sense because I didn't think the Bulls showed up.  Maybe we can schedule the Bulldogs next year.

• Content Count:  2,511

I ALready emailed reporter this morning and telling him he should resign as this is an unforgiveable mistake

And people question your support of USF when you point out obvious issues with coaching, recruiting, etc.  ;)

Way to give the reporter some hell.  >:D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

Gregory's TD pass was to AJ Love, not Nate Allen

there were other mistakes but who cares--- this guy phoned it in.

Archived