• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe's arm is weak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe alleged "Weak Arm" is due to a couple of things. 

One can argue it is due to the offensive line's size. This can be true but that can be compensated by quicker shorter passes. In order to execute shorter and quicker passes Grothe would have to do 3 to 5 step drops and release the ball. I think USF can run this style of offense with the type of recievers they have. I can also open up a nice running game. (Consider this combination of the spread and west coast offense)

When Grothe throws the deep ball, see how many times the reciever needs to slow down to catch the ball.  This can be a result of either arm strength or  technique. Both things can be fixed but it take time during the off season to improve and someone who knows what to do.  Also with the deep pass there is some level of anticipation and expectation, this is developed through practice.  The QB has to be able to anticipate the WR will be open and expect the WR to do what he is suppose to do.  Essentially they have to develop a relationship through practice.

One final point:

During last off season, Grothe focused on putting on weight in order to sustain more hits as a runner. With the addition of Ford and Taylor and hopefully the added twist of Samuels Grothe should focus on the passing aspect of his game during this off-season.  If Grothe works on this then the USF offense will put up major major major points next year.  Grothe is a good QB and has the potential to do great things.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

I personally think there are too many Grothe apologists on this site. I'm not blaming him for the loss either but hatter and smazza make great points. He has a weak arm and he has regressed. The running is only gonna be successful for so long because teams are figuring him out as well as the play calling designed to fit his skills. He needs to work on his throwing mechanics. Everyone is saying he is the reason we climbed to #2, but to me it was the defense. Had our defense not played so well against WVU and Auburn we would have lost. We certainly didn't put up too many points in those games. I would like to see some competition there in the off season, but the way CJL is nobody else will probably have a chance.

Archived