• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Next year's playmakers

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

We really need a CB to become a PlayMaker in '08.

Think we'll see more action from Mitchell & Ford on the O-side and of course Grothe will be deliverying highlights.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Think we'll see more action from Mitchell & Ford on the O-side and of course Grothe will be deliverying highlights.

Not too worried about the CBs.  I like the athleticism of Roberts and Murphy.  I think they'll both make some plays next year, maybe not comparable to Jenks and Trae, but we'll be solid at the position in my opinion.

Interesting that he mentions Washington, Butler, and Young for CBs... but not Roberts or Murphy... looks like we have some good depth.

I also like our LB corps, even without Moffitt. Move Brouce to MLB and let Joseph and Spires work at WLB and we'll be in decent shape there... along with Wilson.

My only real concerns are on the OL and the DTs... we'll see more at the Spring game, but I think USF is in the best position we've ever been in terms of returning talent...

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Not too worried about the CBs.  I like the athleticism of Roberts and Murphy.  I think they'll both make some plays next year, maybe not comparable to Jenks and Trae, but we'll be solid at the position in my opinion.

I agree, and the fact we have so much talent and experience at the nickel and safeties should further work as a crutch.  The pain will be that Jenks and trae were outstanding outside man-on-man cover guys, it allowed us to cheat a bit against run teams like WVU, and Auburn.  With that being said next year could be a faster overall defense with Bedford possibly at DE opposite Selvie, and Sabbath Joseph, or Spires sliding in and possibly Mompremier moving inside.  That means we'll play more zone to compensate, and it might make for a quicker overall defense.  Next year it will set-up well against our competition with WVU, Uconn, Pitt, UCF, FIU NCST, Tenn-Martin, and even Cinci as all run first type of programs.  The limitations or hurt could come against Kansas, UL, and RU...I think UL is going to be limited next year, and RU I think will go more spread once Rice leaves but all are managable but Kansas early could run our young corners to death.

Watch for Washington, or Jamaal Jenkins to emerge as players here too.

• Content Count:  4,016

Interesting that he mentions Washington, Butler, and Young for CBs... but not Roberts or Murphy... looks like we have some good depth.

I also like our LB corps, even without Moffitt. Move Brouce to MLB and let Joseph and Spires work at WLB and we'll be in decent shape there... along with Wilson.

My only real concerns are on the OL and the DTs... we'll see more at the Spring game, but I think USF is in the best position we've ever been in terms of returning talent...

Jim, the word greg said in his blog was Jared Carnes is petitioning for a sixth year.  That would be huge for OT with Dile returning, and Schmidt can help as guys like Warren and Edenfield get up to speed...at least enough bodies to work with.  At DT I like Aaron Harris, get him into the 280lbs range and he'll be great, he had 5.5 sacks and 9.5TFL this year at DT and missing the last two games...he's becoming a real force, better stats then Clebert or Cray.  Put 6-3 300lbs McClain and that's a real solid 1-2 punch.  Depth at DT is where the staff needs to work, Fonua is around 265-270lbs, he needs another 15lbs, and more strength before he's completely effective but has shown signs,I think Keith McCaskill moves inside, he's a bigger boy then 240lbs looks like he's got the Cray starter kit going.  I hope Corrian Garrison is still around and rehabbing nicely because he would bring extra size too that would help backing up and allow us to use another smaller guy like Fonua, or Powe, or Peguese at the three technique.

Corey Grissom is a great pick-up, he could definitely give the same type of minutes, or slightly more, that McClain gave this year, and Craig Marshall, if he's as big as the 260lbs they say, could come in around 6-5 265lbs and give the staff that swing tackle/end they like to have like Julmiste, Woody George type.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

SBien, I believe I read recently that Powe has left the team.

Hopefully, Buie will get an extra year of eligibility.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Powe left?  WHere did you read that?  I read a rumor about another DL but it was not Powe.

• Content Count:  2,726

I still think that Colby Erskin is going to be a force.  It was so sad to see him get injured this year.  I hope he becomes the Wes Welker of USF.

;)

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Powe left?  WHere did you read that?  I read a rumor about another DL but it was not Powe.

I thought there was a pretty long thread on that here in the past two weeks. SOMEBODY left and Leavitt said it wasn't about football. The player was being criticized by some on here for leaving. I believe it was Powe.

There was a reference to Powe by Leavitt on Dec 9th, so now I'm not so sure. LOL

Extra Practice Time Paying Off

The Tampa Tribune

Published: December 9, 2007

TAMPA - After navigating through the highs and lows of a 12-game season, playing in the Sun Bowl is a rewarding experience for the University of South Florida.

But beyond the fanfare and activities awaiting the Bulls in El Paso, Texas, the most important aspect of qualifying for a bowl game is the added practice time the coaches get with the players.

"This stuff is invaluable," Coach Jim Leavitt said of the extra practice time. "There's a lot of good stuff going on."

EARLY IMPRESSIONS: In what amounts to an early spring session, younger players have a chance to prove their worth while others shift positions to find their best fit.

"Terrell McClain is looking outstanding at nose guard. FB Richard Kelly is looking really good. Alton Voss looks good at quarterback. He's a horse. Patrick Richardson is doing some really good things at receiver," Leavitt said. "We moved Jason Fox to nose from fullback. We moved Tyson Butler to cornerback from running back. We're working Jerrell Young at safety instead of corner and we moved Darren Powe from defensive end to nose."

USF will not practice today or Monday, but Leavitt said the focus will remain on the younger players during Tuesday and Wednesday's workouts before shifting to "all Oregon" on Friday.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Most of USF's coaches will be recruiting Monday, with Leavitt going to Mississippi. Several Bulls coaches, including Leavitt, will be recruiting in Miami on Thursday.

Gregg Becnel

Archived