• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

R. Smith vs Grothe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

HA HA!! At first, I thought you were refering to Rod Smith when I read the title of the thread instead of Rusty Smith.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

HA HA!! At first, I thought you were refering to Rod Smith when I read the title of the thread instead of Rusty Smith.

Same thing I thought

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

He has decent numbers for not playing against anybody.

Ummmmm, they played USF

Sure the intent was their schedule overall ... they played and LOST to UF also.

He played pretty well in the UF game. He had a fine year. I won't take that away from him. Smith is a good QB. Not sure how he will do with many starters gone next season-- that is the important step they may lack-- depth.

• Content Count:  31
  • Days Won:  0

Ummmmm, they played USF

He played pretty well in the UF game. He had a fine year. I won't take that away from him. Smith is a good QB. Not sure how he will do with many starters gone next season-- that is the important step they may lack-- depth.

FAU loses a total of 4 starters next season....and only one is on offense. Your arguement sounded good though, too bad you had zero facts.

Grothe and Smith are different types of QB's and each is a better fit for their specific offenses. Smith might end up being the better pro prospect, although his throwing motion is going to scare some people off.

Anyway, good luck in the bowl game. See you guys in '10.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

Ummmmm, they played USF

FAU loses a total of 4 starters next season....and only one is on offense. Your arguement sounded good though, too bad you had zero facts.

Grothe and Smith are different types of QB's and each is a better fit for their specific offenses. Smith might end up being the better pro prospect, although his throwing motion is going to scare some people off.

Hey Owls fan, don't know if the talking heads on the Bowl game telecast know anything, but they said that they just didn't mess with his motion because he was accurate and getting the job done.  Said that he was a baseball player and just threw the football like a baseball.  A little coaching at the next level could shorten up his delivery.

Congrats on your first bowl appearance and win.  We understand the good feeling that comes from that.

• Content Count:  31

Ummmmm, they played USF

Hey Owls fan, don't know if the talking heads on the Bowl game telecast know anything, but they said that they just didn't mess with his motion because he was accurate and getting the job done.  Said that he was a baseball player and just threw the football like a baseball.  A little coaching at the next level could shorten up his delivery.

Congrats on your first bowl appearance and win.  We understand the good feeling that comes from that.

Yeah, i've heard that before about his delivery, and i'm not saying they should change it...it works quite well.  I'm sure it will be an issue for NFL scouts though, who are always scared off by anything slightly different.  But hey, Phillip Rivers and Bernie Kosar both have/had a funky throwing motion and they get the job done.  As long as he keeps putting up big numbers, Rusty will get a shot to play at the next level, he certainly has the arm for it and he can make all the throws. 

Anyway, good luck and bring home another Bowl victory for "The Next Three" Florida schools.   

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I think Grothe is the better QB, but Smith played a great New Orleans Bowl.  He was very accurate most of the night and only threw one bad pass (the INT).  Plus he had 5 TDs in that game.  If you can't give it up for this guy in that game, than you are just a sore loser.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention.  I would take FAU over UCF straight up if given the chance.  I think they are better than the Tinmen.

• Content Count:  1,757

It looks like FAU is quickly moving up into the third spot in the state of Florida football.  Schellenberger (sp?) has everyone well coached at just about every position.  Too bad they're stuck in the Sun Belt (which may arguably be tougher than CUSA).  I'd like to see them join the Big East if we're ever going to take another school from Florida.   

• Content Count:  1,254

I think a lot of us may have our green and gold glasses on. Smith had a better season statistically than Grothe, so why shouldn't they say he is the 2nd best QB in the state? He threw for 1200 more yards, 32 TDs to 13, and 3 less INTs. Honestly, Grothe under performed from what I expected. All of it wasn't his fault (many dropped passes, bad play calling, etc.), but I feel a lot of teams are starting to figure him out. Next year will be a telling story and I look for him to bounce back.

Archived