• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Proposed Rays Stadium Could Host Big East Bowl

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

you should not call people idiots

My thought is to shoot for a couple of BCS conferences versusa Bg East team--- that will bring the fans. Anytime USF plays it would be a sellout. Other teams could do well too.

THe outback was originally the Hall of Fame game--- and it wasn't a sellout fromthe beginning-- it took time to build itself up. Perhaps they could intiially have it at the waterfront location and then grow into the RJS size over time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

you should not call people idiots

My thought is to shoot for a couple of BCS conferences versusa Bg East team--- that will bring the fans. Anytime USF plays it would be a sellout. Other teams could do well too.

THe outback was originally the Hall of Fame game--- and it wasn't a sellout fromthe beginning-- it took time to build itself up. Perhaps they could intiially have it at the waterfront location and then grow into the RJS size over time.

My idea is simply to replace Papajohns.com bowl because I know USF fans hated it there, i'm sure Cincy and Southern Miss fans will hate it so why not have it in a scenic location in downtown St. Pete? If you want a major Big East bowl game, yeah Ray Jay is the better place but a .Com bowl would do just fine in the waterfront ballpark if it's built.

• Content Count:  4,738

That new stadium would be the perfect size for the PapajohnsPersonalPanPizza.com Bowl.

:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

• Content Count:  400

My idea is simply to replace Papajohns.com bowl because I know USF fans hated it there, i'm sure Cincy and Southern Miss fans will hate it so why not have it in a scenic location in downtown St. Pete? If you want a major Big East bowl game, yeah Ray Jay is the better place but a .Com bowl would do just fine in the waterfront ballpark if it's built.

everyone hates birmingham.. i dont know why the hell we (the big east) signed a contract for that tie-in.  i'd rather have the 8th place SEC team to play than some upper-half CUSA team..  same with international bowl, i have no idea why they got the tie-ins that they do.  the only teams from nonBCS conferences that should be playing BCS opponents should be the champions of the nonBCS conferences.  now, i know many of these bowls are popping up left and right and, with some many teams, you're bound to get a papajohns.com type bowl.

it seems viable with St. Pete's backing. However-- as a long term location it seems doomed to always be a so-so bowl. Now bear in mind that what we've all been talking about is getting better qualit bowls versus more BCS type schools. So while what you suffest might release us from the PJCB, it won't attract the better BCS schools to jump on board.

I'm all for St. Pete or Tampa getting another bowl game for the area. I just wonder if this plan is a little short sited

seems to me the Big East got squeezed out of the better bowls when we lost BC, Miami, and Va Tech.

so they scrambled to fill the fance card for those that were left in the dust.

If the BIg East can continue to show it is a viable BCS conference with strong teams and fan bases--- we should start getting more tie ins with the more prominent bowls. Just don't expect the other BCS conferences to lay down and let that happen. Our best shot is probably poaching some of the ACC tie ins--- and those aren't exactly all glamorous either (Emerald Bowl- ACC vs Pac 10; Boise-- remember miami going to that one?)

the SEC, Big Ten and Pac 10 seem to be sitting on the best of the rest. Having to convince bowl committees that a 3rd place BE team is better than a 5th place Big Ten are the type of targets we should be shooting for-- that and improving current tie ins like the Meineke into more enticing bowls.

Also-- getting a bid into the Sun Bowl this year is huge for the Big East-- and possibly an indication of things to happen going forward. If Notre Dame keeps screwing up-- the Gator will be calling us at some point.

• Content Count:  384

Hopefully the rays owners will foot the Bill if a new stadium is built.  I think the trop is perfect for the Rays.  I think having a bowl game there would be a waste,  only 35k seats thats way to small.

Hopefully the rays owners will foot the Bill if a new stadium is built.  I think the trop is perfect for the Rays.   I think having a bowl game there would be a waste,  only 35k seats thats way to small.

Rays owners said they would put up 145mm with the rest coming from St. Pete and the sale/development of the land around the old stadium.

• Content Count:  100

... I've been wondering if the Rays aren't holding in their back pocket some way to add seats for playoff games ...

I love the Rays, but....

1715809412_thumb1.jpg

...playoffs?!

I think the Rays' thinking's more in line with getting more people to come to the regular season games that don't involve the Yankees or RedSox.

Of course, the debate about if it's been the quality of the Trop keeping fans away rather than the quality of play going on inside is for another thread.

(Besides, 35K isn't THAT low... Fenway only holds 39K or so)

As far as the Bowl game goes, we know from other sources that the Big East's been talking about getting more bowl games, and there's every chance this location's been discussed.  Clearly it wouldn't be where our #1/2 seed goes, and most likely it wouldn't attract a highly-rated opponent; but it would give the BE #4/5 team a much better deal than is currently available (ie: playing in St Pete as opposed to Canada).

• Content Count:  4,642

why doesn't ray jay just host another bowl?

are there rules about a stadium hosting more than one bowl game?

Archived