• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Just heard from a player that USF will go to

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

the Sun.... unless they some how get to 18 next week. Then the Orange Bowl may call. Is that possible? Jim?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

cant see a 3 loss team going to the orange bowl.  specially if hawaii gets a BCS bid

• Content Count:  2,726

It could happen...its mathematically possible.  There was a thread here a while ago.

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  155

a lot is mathematically possible... but people on this board need to cash in and use their return tickets from fantasy island... the sun bowl is a stretch... we are not going to a bcs bowl this year

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

a lot is mathematically possible... but people on this board need to cash in and use their return tickets from fantasy island... the sun bowl is a stretch... we are not going to a bcs bowl this year

The Sun is going to happen..... fool

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Meccariello, how much do you sleep in a typical 24 hour period?

• Content Count:  12,293

i think the loser of the big 12 championship will end up in Miami

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Not as much of a stretch as you think...

• Content Count:  585

the Sun.... unless they some how get to 18 next week. Then the Orange Bowl may call. Is that possible? Jim?

USF would have to get to 14 in order to have a chance of going to a BCS bowl.  Why, you ask?  Because Illinois is "in the clubhouse" and they're sitting at #15.  LSU and Tennessee play each other on Saturday, meaning that the Illini will be in the top 14 next week.  The BCS has to choose from among the top 14 unless there aren't enough options available to fill their bowls.  Then and only then would they open it up to 18. 

We already know that West Virginia and Ohio State are going to BCS bowls.  That leaves 8 more slots.  The winner of LSU/Tennessee will go, the winner of Virginia Tech/Boston College will go, the winner of Missouri/Oklahoma will go, and the winner of the Pac-10 will go (too many options to list).  That leaves at-large slots, with the proviso that no more than 2 teams from any one conference can go, and that the top non-BCS team must be selected if they're in the top 12 (unlikely any winner would drop below 16, which opens other options).  So, the four at-large teams will likely be:

Georgia (regular season over, sitting at #4 in the BCS)

Kansas (regular season over, sitting at #5 in the BCS)

Hawaii (#12 in BCS, home game vs. Washington where they're heavily favored)

That leaves one more at-large option.  Right now, both USC and Arizona State are BCS eligible, and both are favored in their final games, which would likely put the Sun Devils in the Fiesta Bowl (think that would sell?).  If Arizona were to pull the upset, it would help Illinois to move into the top 14, meaning they would have to be selected for a BCS bowl.  Regardless, there doesn't appear to be a way where the BCS would need to open their options to drop to 18. 

USFFan

Archived