• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's Bowl this year

What if the Big East went to the MAC and proposed a bowl swap of the GMAC for the Papajohns.com bowls?  Both would pit us against C-USA teams, but it would be in a different city (Mobile - closer to New Orleans but still a place that's a driveable distance) on a different date.  Granted, it's not ideal, but would that be more likely to get people enthusiastic about the game?  Personally, another shot at Southern Miss would be nice.  I freaking HATE R.C. Johnson, so I'd love to smack Memphis.  We've never faced Tulsa.  I think those are at least somewhat attractive possibilities...

Problems with this idea:

1. The drive from Tampa to Mobile is only 90 minutes shorter than from Tampa to Birmingham (per Google maps). I doubt that will be the difference in people driving or not.

2. The Mobile Bowl, to its credit, honors its tie-ins. One year Texas A&M tried to bully them into inviting one of their sorry 6-6 teams. Mobile declined, citing its commitment to Conference USA and Mid-American Conference.

[glow=yellow,2,300]3. It's not as easy to swap tie-ins as it used to be. I don't know why, but JimSig says so and I defer to his knowledge in all things bowl-related.[/glow]

4. Why would the Birmingham bowl relinquish its Big East team, which probably will be 9-3 and in or very the top 25, for some 6-6 MAC team? I fail to see an incentive for them.

5. If the C-USA bowls are looking for anything, it's a loophole would allow them to take one of the excess SEC teams that will be available. The Birmingham Bowl will be forced to invite someone like Memphis or Southern Miss, and unable to invite 6-6 Alabama. Tragic.

In 2002, the NCAA didn't have any rules and regulations about when bowl contracts had to be signed... there had to be contracts, but no deadline.  After all the bowl swapping that occurred that year, the NCAA said "no more!" and instituted rules that require contracts to be in place before the beginning of the season.

Multiple contracts are allowed... such as the Mieneke Car Care Bowl had last year with the Big East AND Navy, allowing them to take the Midshipmen over Cincinnati (and USF)... but these contracts have to be in place before the seasons starts.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

What if the Big East went to the MAC and proposed a bowl swap of the GMAC for the Papajohns.com bowls?  Both would pit us against C-USA teams, but it would be in a different city (Mobile - closer to New Orleans but still a place that's a driveable distance) on a different date.  Granted, it's not ideal, but would that be more likely to get people enthusiastic about the game?  Personally, another shot at Southern Miss would be nice.  I freaking HATE R.C. Johnson, so I'd love to smack Memphis.  We've never faced Tulsa.  I think those are at least somewhat attractive possibilities...

Problems with this idea:

1. The drive from Tampa to Mobile is only 90 minutes shorter than from Tampa to Birmingham (per Google maps). I doubt that will be the difference in people driving or not.

2. The Mobile Bowl, to its credit, honors its tie-ins. One year Texas A&M tried to bully them into inviting one of their sorry 6-6 teams. Mobile declined, citing its commitment to Conference USA and Mid-American Conference.

3. It's not as easy to swap tie-ins as it used to be. I don't know why, but JimSig says so and I defer to his knowledge in all things bowl-related.

4. Why would the Birmingham bowl relinquish its Big East team, which probably will be 9-3 and in or very the top 25, for some 6-6 MAC team? I fail to see an incentive for them.

5. If the C-USA bowls are looking for anything, it's a loophole would allow them to take one of the excess SEC teams that will be available. The Birmingham Bowl will be forced to invite someone like Memphis or Southern Miss, and unable to invite 6-6 Alabama. Tragic.

Gary, good to have you back!

1 - I don't think it's a distance thing, I think it's a date (3 days before X-mas) and destination (same exact place we went last year) thing.  

2 - I'm not suggesting that the Mobile Bowl would not honor its commitment.  No school would be screwed out of a bowl bid with this trade (more on this at 4, vide infra)

3 - Not as easy, but apparently not impossible, or so I hear...

4 - Why would Birmingham release USF?  Because they suspect (rightly so) that we would bring less fans because we were just there last year.  Meanwhile, a school like Miami (OH), who hasn't been to either bowl, would be just as likely to go to Birmingham to face a C-USA team as they would be to go to Mobile.  Maybe even moreso, since it's about an 8 hour drive to Birmingham and a 12 hour drive to Mobile for them.  

5 - I don't know how much of a say C-USA would have in this.  As it stands, a C-USA team will face a Big East team and a MAC team in Alabama.  The trade I proposed would not change that one bit.  

USFFan

• Content Count:  1,457

Basically - Cincy has to lose to SU.  WVA has to lose to UCONN and Pitt.  Then, USF has to beat Pitt. Then USF may bet a 2nd BCS Bowl bid if all other good teams also lose.  UCONN will play for National Championship and finish 12 - 1 over Hawaii!

PMR

Miami played the GMAC bowl in 2003... beating Louisville.

Miami of Ohio has to win one of their last two games to go to a bowl game... they could finish 6-7 (losing the MAC Conference game to Central Michigan).  Conference title games are part of the regular season, so a 6-7 Miami would not be bowl eligible.

There is also the problem that the GMAC bowl and the PapaJohns.com bowl do not pay out the same... the MAC would lose $400,000 by making the switch.  Would the Big East pay the MAC for that right??  I doubt it.

Also...

The GMAC can select either a MAC team or a WAC team.  So wherever you're getting your information is probably not accurate. 

Central Michigan (assuming it beats Miami) will be going to the Motor City Bowl... so that leaves Ball State and Bowling Green for the GMAC and International Bowls.  Bowling Green played in the 2004 GMAC Bowl...

and the MAC has a 5-game winning streak against C-USA in the GMAC bowl...

I think USF has a better chance of getting a BCS bid than the GMAC-PapaJohns.com swap you propose.

Basically - Cincy has to lose to SU.  WVA has to lose to UCONN and Pitt.  Then, USF has to beat Pitt. Then USF may bet a 2nd BCS Bowl bid if all other good teams also lose.  UCONN will play for National Championship and finish 12 - 1 over Hawaii!

PMR

Friends shouldn't let friends post high.

::)  :P  ::)  :P  ;D

• Content Count:  585

In light of our earlier discussion, check out this link:

http://njmg.typepad.com/rublog/

Here's the pertinent portion...

Now, if Rutgers can't, we may have some other interesting possibilities. I talked to Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese too and it turns out, the league will allow one of its teams to take an at-large berth to a non-affiliated bowl. And the league can even allow that if all its own bowl spots aren't filled. Basically, Tranghese said, "we orchestrate a trade. That can always be done."

(Sort of) straight from the horse's mouth...

USFFan

• Content Count:  2,661

Also, one of USF's early-season games had Independence Bowl scouts in attendance.

Also, one of USF's early-season games had Independence Bowl scouts in attendance.

The Independence Bowl selects last in the SEC and sixth in the Big 12, so it's possible they were scouting possible at-large teams in case the SEC and/or Big 12 didn't have enough teams... of course the SEC has 10 and the Big 12 has 8 eligible teams now, so don't expect anything to happen with that bowl.

• Content Count:  4,501

The Independence Bowl selects last in the SEC and sixth in the Big 12, so it's possible they were scouting possible at-large teams in case the SEC and/or Big 12 didn't have enough teams... of course the SEC has 10 and the Big 12 has 8 eligible teams now, so don't expect anything to happen with that bowl.

Don't know the bowls like you but could this be the secnario were the Sun Bowl would rather have a Big 12 team and swap the Independence Bowl ?

Archived