• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ford, Grothe, and the Offense...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

OK, I was out of town, and forgot to set the DVR. Called my mom and she misplaced her key to my house, so she couldn't set it for me (she found it today and let me know, of course, it doesn't help me at all). I listened to most of the game on the radio, but had to turn it off late due to keeping multiple people up while I was the only one interested. Just wanted to set all of that up so I don't get yelled at for not being there.

And one more thing...NOT a Ford vs. Williams debate.

How did the offense look yesterday? I have been thinking all year that when/if Ford took over, it would free up the receivers so that Grothe had more space to throw in to, it would make the QB draw that much better because they really would have to respect the runner, and it would open up some gaping holes for Grothe when he keeps it on the option.

How did it look live? The announcers mentioned that the receivers were drawing pretty much man coverage and that UL had 8 in the box on most plays. Sounds like Ford is getting a lot of respect. He still only had 4 yards lost on the day. I love how he falls forward.

Didn't hear too many dropped passes, could be a result of catching in more space? Were they mixing in Ben Williams on 3rd down as a receiver/blocker?

I am torn between 3 theories on the new offensive life. 1. Ford has opened things up, 2. OCGG has opened things up, 3. The defenses are terrible.

I think it is a mix of all 3. The Cincy game was so far gone after the first quarter that GG had to open up the play book and let Grothe throw. I think he learned to trust Grothe and the receivers, and realized that he has some tremendous playmakers on offense, and he can actually be agressive without "screwing up the defense's good work". I think Ford has a lot of improving to do, but he is a guy that defenses respect, and he is going to be a stud for the next couple of seasons in the big east. I hope he continues to get carries, and proves to be durable enough to get 25+ carries a week.

And, I don't think we can totally neglect the fact that we have just played two terrible defenses. However, Cincy's D is pretty good, and we scored well on them. I think something has changed about this offense, and if they keep playing like this, we are going to be hard to beat.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

Ford is VERY impressive.

Deceptive speed and strong ... delivers the hit on the tackler.

He's definately deserving the starts and playing time.

Very happy our running game is doing so well.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

1st half was great. O line was blocking well and Ford was finding holes and running people over.

3rd Quarter O-line seemed a bit lackluster and didn't block as well

4th quarter backups were in and we were doing ok

• Content Count:  10,219

most here hoped ford would take over by mid season...it did not happen.

happy he is there now.

• Content Count:  1,290

Remind some of you that Ford is not good catcher as Williams.. I have no doubt that M. Ford will work on catching the ball and blocking during off season..

• Content Count:  959

Remind some of you that Ford is not good catcher as Williams.. I have no doubt that M. Ford will work on catching the ball and blocking during off season..

:Bang

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

The offense is rolling right now.  This might be the best offense we have ever had.  Not kidding.  Last 4 games, the o has put up huge numbers.  Even in the 2 losses to Conn and Cinn, they put up big #'s, but turnovers and penalties did us in.  Ben Williams did not get a lot of PT yesterday, Ford got almost all the PT until the game was out of hand.

There were very few drops and miscues on offense yesterday.  I can't remember any drops, although I am sure there were one or 2.  We had well over 300 yards of Offense by halftime and could have had 600 total yards if game was competitive.

Just think, the offense returns just about everyone next year.

Archived