• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Severino

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

why-- to run up the score? To possibly make some bad pass that results in UL getting a cheap score?

You don't play to make players happy-- you play to win ball games. At the point when he came in, it was all about burning clock. He did that. ANd he's had a TD pass this season--- something very few former USF QBs can claim over the years.

I didn't start this thread to get people angry, was traveling, and wanted to see if anyone felt the way I do. Now that I am home, I can elaborate a little.

1. Gregory got work last week. It's not like he hasn't seen the field since the spring game.

2. Gregory will get more chances, Severino likely will never take a snap at QB again (unless something drastic happens).

I realize he got to play against UCF, and I realize that he threw a TD pass. But, with it being senior day, I would have liked to see him get some stats. The famous QB draw would have worked. I agree that winning is the most important thing, but when that is a forgone conclusion, is it so hard to also make a player happy?

I think (since everyone has pointed out that I wasn't there, and therefor not entitled to an opinion), that it was 48-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter. With a 38 point lead and our back-up defense against their back-up QB, I am not worried about one pick-6 costing us the game. Don't act like he could have come in and completely blown it for us and without the Gregory TD, we would have been in trouble.

Again, this is just my opinion. If you think that I am just Mr. Negativity, and have been putting down Leavitt, or anyone else (except for maybe gregory on occasion), please go back and check, that's not me. I wasn't looking for a reason to complain. I just thought the decision was interesting, and wanted to see what others on here thought.

Just as a side note, was Gregory playing with stitches in his face? A week off wouldn't have killed him.

Mike, you mentioned running up the score, but a couple posts back, you mentioned Gregory's TD, which is it if Severino had gotten that one, would it have been running up the score?

*please note that I am not angry or intentionally calling anyone out, just boucing ideas around. From the length of this thread, it appears that there are those that agree, those that disagree, and those who hate the coaches. This is the first critical thing I have ever said about Leavitt, and I am not sure it was his call, he seems to let assistants make those calls.

first of all-- I am anything but angry after the ass-kicking we just laid on Louisville.

I just am more concerned with having our number 2 QB getting as much playing time as possible when the game allows it in case Grothe gets banged up. We have been fortunate this season that he has avoided the injury bug (knock on wood).

Anthony saw the field--- he's seen it all season long. Some more stats are pretty trivial to me. And he might very well get more time to play in the Pitt game and event he bowl game-- who knows. But for me--- this "senior night" thing is overblown. It isn't as if he had never been on the field before (like Rudy from Notre Dame) and he was put out there as a thanks--- nope. He has been taking the snaps on our special teams for years. He is ready to do whatever coach asks him to do and he knows his well defined roll.

I'll bet there are so many more examples of guys who never really got any playing time over the course of our history that pales in comparison to Severino's experience. For me-- what this night was really all about is summed up by this picture....

IMG_6274.JPG

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

... on senior night, why not give the backup senior QB as many reps as possible and let the backup junior QB stay on the bench??

Because ... we need our #2 to get more reps. He's a Jr, but will most likely get a Medical RS and be here as long as Grothe.

Archived