• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Selvie staying...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

per Brett's blog.

Although University of South Florida DE George Selvie could leave after this season, be a guaranteed first round NFL Draft pick and sign a multi-million dollar deal, he told me he will return for his junior season.

As a Bulls fan, I say hooray for him.

Even as a USF alumni and not thinking about sports, I say hooray for him.

You only get one chance to enjoy youth and your time in college.  There is always time for work, and playing in the NFL is work.

There is the worn out tired argument that he might get hurt, but look it at the perspective of any non-athlete student.  They could get physically injured, have some kind of accident or health ailment that makes them brain dead, etc, therefore they could have worked instead of finishing college.  Nobody can predict the future; you can only influence the present.  Enjoy your time now in school, because one day all the fun and games are over, and you will look forward to getting up to work every day.

• Content Count:  349

per Brett's blog.

Although University of South Florida DE George Selvie could leave after this season, be a guaranteed first round NFL Draft pick and sign a multi-million dollar deal, he told me he will return for his junior season.

As a Bulls fan, I say hooray him.

Even as a USF alumni and not thinking about sports, I say hooray for him.

You only get one chance to enjoy youth and your time in college.  There is always time for work, and playing in the NFL is work.

There is the worn out tired argument that he might get hurt, but look it at the perspective of any non-athlete student.  They could get physically injured, have some kind of accident or health ailment that makes them brain dead, etc, therefore they could have worked instead of finishing college.  Nobody can predict the future; you can only influence the present.  Enjoy your time now in school, because one day all the fun and games are over, and you will look forward to getting up to work every day.

On the flip side, I don't know that he's developed sufficiently to really be considered a high round draft pick yet. And if he goes to the NFL, there's no guarantee he won't get hurt there before his career can even get going. I think he'll take at least another year, further refine his skills, and hopefully establish himself as a real presence and threat to opposing QBs (And opposing RBs) and maybe solidify himself as a top shelf talent and get a real high pick...

• Content Count:  12,293

yea i dont know if selvie would be a sure shot 1st rounder this year.  he still needs to add a little more size to his frame.  right now he would be a OLB in a 3-4 scheme at the next level.  but i dont think too many teams would put him at DE.  no one is gonna spend a 1st round pick on a 3rd down pass rusher.

best of luck to selvie this offseason and i hope he causes even more havoc next season and locks up that 1st round pick

• Content Count:  4,642

as long as he stays!

we're going to be thin at d-line next year, so this is huge!

• Content Count:  356

He needs to stay and bulk up - can you say Shurron Pierson?

• Content Count:  403

i've said this before on other Selvie threads, but I've heard that defensive end is one of the hardest jumps when going from college to pro.  See:  Gaines Adams and Mario Williams. 

• Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Good thing he is. He'll be one of the leaders since we're losing Moffit.

Good choice George!

• Content Count:  1,457

You'll see...Selvie stays two (2) more years, get his degree, and makes a real big splash into the NFL after 2009 is done.

Selvie is smarter than you think.

George has guts!

• Content Count:  4,501

I can't verify this with statistics but I think the likelyhood of injury is less at DE then some other positions.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

You'll see...Selvie stays two (2) more years, get his degree, and makes a real big splash into the NFL after 2009 is done.

Selvie is smarter than you think.

George has guts!

i believe his father was a military man...

George has a good upbringing and a good head on his shoulders.  i wouldn't be surprised if he stays all 4... but even stayin one year longer than he has too shows alot of character and where his priorities are.

he definetely needs to add bulk for the NFL, and an extra year or two at the college level could do wonders in improving and expanding on his skillset.  his draft stock should rise next year, especially if the Bulls improve on this season's success with an even better 2008 season.

Archived