• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Alvarado

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  231
  • Days Won:  0

Alvarado had nothing to do with the punt being blocked.  He had zero protection.  Thanks for playing though.

Then why when he came off the field Leavitt ripped him a new one.  I think he took about 10 seconds between catching and punting. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  695

I knew the punt was going to be blocked as the ball was snapped, so you can't blame Delbert for that one.

• Content Count:  206

actually if he pulls it down and takes the safety, thats 5 less points off the board, how many did we lose by.............

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

actually if he pulls it down and takes the safety, thats 5 less points off the board, how many did we lose by.............

Correct

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

It would be nice to have a regular looking punt formation, especially with a guy who has shown he can boot it a good distance.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

That may be what Leavitt was upset about.  But, if so, did Leavitt remind Delbert before the play.  Isn't that what coaches are supposed to do?

• Content Count:  1,370

Sam Miller screwed up on his assignment. Definitely not Delbert's fault.

On a side note, I know Leavitt's the special teams coordinator, but I think it's a mistake to run the traditional punt formation when you're inside the 20 yard line. All Cincy did was overload the A gap (which is a lot wider in the traditional formation) and Miller had to make a decision on who to block. Unfortunately, he went wide rather than protecting the middle rush, which resulted in the blocked punt.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Alvarado had nothing to do with the punt being blocked.  He had zero protection.  Thanks for playing though.

Then why when he came off the field Leavitt ripped him a new one.  I think he took about 10 seconds between catching and punting. 

I rewatched the game on DVR late last night (first time i wathed it on TV) and i can tell you that the block had nothing to do with delbert.  The upbacks  parted like the red sea and the guy came in untouched.  The upbacks mixed up their assignments and didnt block from the inside out but rather blocked nothing but the outside.  Terrible execution and communication there. 

• Content Count:  624

Delbert should have used his brain to see that the player was going to clearly block his punt. He should have tucked it and fell down because he was not punting from the endzone. Our goal line defense is pretty dang good.

• Content Count:  100

I rewatched the game on DVR late last night (first time i wathed it on TV) and i can tell you that the block had nothing to do with delbert.  The upbacks  parted like the red sea and the guy came in untouched.  The upbacks mixed up their assignments and didnt block from the inside out but rather blocked nothing but the outside.  Terrible execution and communication there. 

Ditto all of this (finally getting a chance to watch the TV replay now - like a Monday's not hard enough already).

It's not the formation that caused this either - the widest of the rushers up the extra-wide A gap wouldn't have had a chance at blocking this. Sadly, just one of many mental errors on the day saw us leave the rusher with the shortest path unblocked. Upside: easy to fix. Downside: shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

Delbert should have used his brain to see that the player was going to clearly block his punt. He should have tucked it and fell down because he was not punting from the endzone. Our goal line defense is pretty dang good.

Kicking 101: you don't look up, you look at the ball. It took under 2 seconds from snap to kick - he should have had no reason to worry about the rush. It's only when something goes wrong with the snap should the punter start thinking about taking evasive action.

Archived