• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In defense of Greg Gregory.......

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  282
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, I said defense.  I have been guilty over the last week or so of posting that I believed that we should fire Gregory immediately and other things of that vein.

Well, it has become glaringly obvious (at least to me) that I have been wrong, that injuries have limited his choice of plays to call and our team's ability to have those plays executed correctly.  Grothe tries the impossible task of carrying the hopes and dreams of all of us on his young shoulders and make something happen. 

So what happens when our desire as fans is frustrated by close wins and the "breaks are beating the boys"?  These two, who are working so hard to produce for the team, are villified.

What I am attempting to state is that maybe Greg Gregory is NOT as bad as we have painted him, maybe, just like Dungy and Gruden and other good coaches, he is a victim of circumstances and breaks.  Maybe like them he is a good coach whose options just don't allow everything to fall into place.  Maybe he is good enough that Leavitt, who has my undying gratitude for raising "my" team, "our" team, from a dirt lot and a trailer to national prominence, knows a good coach when he hires one.  Maybe he knows that coach, the state of the team and what is going on better than I or any of us do.

Now maybe I am misled and wrong about all of this again.  But maybe I am not.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

Some will be jumping on our DL Coach and DC since Selvie hasn't had a sack in 2 of the past 3 weeks either.

I have disagreements with Leavitt, but trust his judgement for this team ... for obvious reasons.

And I trust his judgement over anybody.

I keep hearing how our offense is "predictable" ... but these DC's are allowing 400 plus yards ?

This team is making critical mistakes and have not been able to overcome them lately.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  132

Maybe, just maybe, Grothe is not as good as everyone thinks.  Last time I checked, Gregory did not throw four interceptions and had a fumble, Grothe did.  If USF had a solid #2 QB, I wonder how long Grothe would have been playing.  Sorry, just think he is overrated.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

2 tipped passes and a button hook was thrown correctly inside, but the WR went outside.

Yes, our QB had a bad game, but coupled with a record 382 passing yards and lead team in rushing and a main reason we have the majority of the wins the past s seasons, I feel good with him.

overrated ?

:nope

• Content Count:  282

Maybe, just maybe, Grothe is not as good as everyone thinks.  Last time I checked, Gregory did not throw four interceptions and had a fumble, Grothe did.  If USF had a solid #2 QB, I wonder how long Grothe would have been playing.  Sorry, just think he is overrated.

I had fans of one of the programs that we beat this year tell me that they have openly complained on their boards about the fact that they somehow overlooked him.  No other 1-A program gave him an offer until after he had already committed to us.  Was he overrated then?

He has done nothing for the Bulls but win games and transform the team.  Were you even a fan when Pat Julmiste was the QB?  Were you watching?  Grothe comes in as a freshman and wins games we were going to lose otherwise.  This year we win the first 6 games, get ranked for the first time in our history, and rise to #2.  You're right, sounds overrated.

Did you see the production stats from yesterday's game?  Almost 500 yards of offense and we almost won the game even after 8 TOs to a very talented UC team.  You're right, he is overrated.

:Bang

• Content Count:  16,407
  • Days Won:  43

Look, Grothe reminds me of a Brett Favre in where he is going to throw some INT's, but his game play makes up for the INTs in my opinion. Most QBs get rattled, not Grothe because he just goes out there and keep playing like a warrior. If you dont believe, read all these comments said by the defenses that have gone against Grothe. They basically have said that Grothe is a warrior. You can call Grothe overrated all you want, but I am glad to have Grothe on the USF team because he is a warrior.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

Our #2 QB looked pretty solid against your sorry ass Kanigits so I don't think your observation is valid ...... of course, our #3 qb looked solid against your clown team, too, so maybe that's not a real good game to judge him on.

• Content Count:  132

Our #2 QB looked pretty solid against your sorry ass Kanigits so I don't think your observation is valid ...... of course, our #3 qb looked solid against your clown team, too, so maybe that's not a real good game to judge him on.

Sorry to break it to you, but your #2 QB did not play against my team and if your horrible big east officials did not blow the punt interferece call, you probably would have lost to my team.

Grothe is overrated, sorry boys.  He is a good running QB who makes plays when the defense breaks down.  Everyone wants to say how many yards he threw for and ran, great, he passed for 382 yards, but he threw the ball 54 times.  He had a completion percentage of 57%, not that good.  He threw one TD and four INT's.  Yes, he rushed for 75 yards, but he rushed 22 times for an average of 3.4 yards, nothing spectacular. 

I like Grothe for his guts but he simply is not as good as the hype he receives.  Don't tell me that USF does not have more talent than Cincy, Rutgers or UCONN.  But in those games, Grothe, the leader of the team was a combined 64 of 119 for 818 yards and 2 TD's and 7 Ints.  Also Grothe has run for 279 yards on 65 carries, leading the team in carries each of those losses. 

Why does Matt run so much, you can't tell me that those are called QB runs each time.  Matt runs because he does not read defenses very well, that will come with age I guess.  Simply put, Matt makes plays outside the pocket, but in the pocket, he is an average to below average QB, and that is where a QB is suppose to make his plays.

Archived