• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College Playoff System: I need it now baby.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Still trying to cope with the implosion. It was a hell of a ride and I am sure that we will still win a couple of games this year, but quite frankly I don't give a ****. Whats it all about Alfie? Nothing good (maybe better is a better adjective) can come from the remaining games. Its time to work on stuff for next year and ready your stomach for Papa Johns rancid sauce. I know its all about supporting the Bulls and keeping your chin up, but for all intents and purposes the year is over and thats a sad commentary on college football.

I cannot help but think about how exciting it could be if the powers that be, you know the university presidents who control the BCS, would allow a playoff system. You know the people who exclude deserving teams and grab buckets of cash for themselves. The ones that claim a higher purpose for keeping the football athletes in school only to maintain the broken bowl system and allow baseball athletes to play much longer post seasons. The ones who are content to cash a bowl check and call a 6-5 season a success. If those bastions of knowledge could lower themselves into allowing an athletic season to end with an athletic event it could be wonderful.

The Bulls would still be in the hunt for a playoff berth and once they were in they would have a shot just as long as they played at home at greatness. The season would still have purpose. The assclowns who do not want a playoff because they say that every college game is a playoff and has meaning need to explain that to me now. Sports that are settled by a vote/judge are a joke and thats the saddest thing of all: college football is a joke that nobody gets.

BTW: They are replaying the UConn game now on ESPNU . . . . .

Hey I am up to being ignored by 3 members. Sweet. This is a message to them: !@#$ YOU!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  416
  • Days Won:  0

Under most suggested formats getting into the playoffs would be about as difficult as making a BCS game. Even with a playoff system, I don't see the Bulls making an at-large bid without a lot of help just as most of us don't see USF making it to a BCS bowl without a lot of help now.

• Content Count:  1,260

Everyone is always clamoring for a playoff. As for me....I'm happy with the way it is now that they added a "plus 1" national championship game. Every game means something...and conference games especially have a playoff atmosphere. For all the griping we as fans do during the season...by the end of the year the current system will have it about right. If you think ppl are angry now with pollsters having power to pick the top 2...imagine the griping when you open up to pollsters having input in picking a top 8 for a playoff.

Not to mention...the bowl system is great for the teams and alums involved. A playoff system would really only benefit casual CFB fans and the 20-30 "football" schools who might be able to participate in any given year. The majority of alum bases like having a destination to party at the end of they year. Moreover, cities who host bowls can try to make it an event for tourist dollars. If other ppl don't like smaller bowl like the old "pullin weedeater bowl"..they can always opt not to tune in.

• Content Count:  4,738

Everyone is always clamoring for a playoff. As for me....I'm happy with the way it is now that they added a "plus 1" national championship game. Every game means something...and conference games especially have a playoff atmosphere. For all the griping we as fans do during the season...by the end of the year the current system will have it about right. If you think ppl are angry now with pollsters having power to pick the top 2...imagine the griping when you open up to pollsters having input in picking a top 8 for a playoff.

Not to mention...the bowl system is great for the teams and alums involved. A playoff system would really only benefit casual CFB fans and the 20-30 "football" schools who might be able to participate in any given year. The majority of alum bases like having a destination to party at the end of they year. Moreover, cities who host bowls can try to make it an event for tourist dollars. If other ppl don't like smaller bowl like the old "pullin weedeater bowl"..they can always opt not to tune in.

my system is best.  Keep all the bowl games.  The four BCS bowls are the first round of the playoffs(with the bowl names)

Then you have a semifinal round and real NC game.

Everyone is happy.  Bowl money still comes in.  plus two more games two sell two the networks for a couple billion.

• Content Count:  143

Why can't the top two teams from each BCS conf go at it playoff style?  Or BCS conf winners - plus some form of wildcard or at-large - same as the NFL?  Conf wins and losses and overall record.  No voting necessary.

???

Edit:  Yeah - what he said  ^^^^^^    ;)

Why can't the top two teams from each BCS conf go at it playoff style?  Or BCS conf winners - plus some form of wildcard or at-large - same as the NFL?  Conf wins and losses and overall record.  No voting necessary.

???

Edit:  Yeah - what he said  ^^^^^^    ;)

my idea must be too simple for anyone to do it.  Everyone says you can;t leave the bowls because of the money.  keep the bowls. 

And i don't prescribe to the argument of too many games.  Half the games most teams schedule are a joke anyways.  Imagine if the NFl played 5 CFL teams a year, then started their NFL schedule.  They could play 20 games.

Even with a Conference Championship game, the most a team would play with the conf champ. + going to the NC game would be 16. 

• Content Count:  635

the system is basically perfect right now. every game counts.

the system is basically perfect right now. every game counts.

Not sure it would change.  I'm sure there will be at least 8 undefeated and one loss teams out there.  I'd rather see the 9th team get f-ed out of a chance than the third.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

We'd still need to win the Big East to be part of any playoff picture.  At this point we probably have 20% chance of that happening.

• Content Count:  594

All of the above-mentioned solutions still fail to answer how more than half the teams in college football's top division are essentially locked out of the national championship game despite paying the same NCAA membership fees.

It is not enough to placate non-BCS schools by giving them a backdoor into a BCS game. The system will be made of fail until a playoff featuring every conference champion is developed. The system hands tens of millions of dollars to BCS conferences every year while most non-BCS teams end up losing money on their bowl appearances, sharing the meager $250,000 appearance fee with the other teams in their conference. The cycle continues; BCS schools get richer, non-BCS schools get poorer, and despite all the claims of "parity" there is still an enormous gap in recruiting and training resources. Non-BCS schools are shoved into an NCAA ghetto from which progress is difficult or impossible; teams may emerge for one year in the limelight, but this fact remains:

Non-BCS teams are the only organized sports on the planet that have no chance to win an organizational championship before a single game is played. The reliance on human polls that originate in preseason conjecture, not regular season play, exacerbates this; furthermore, the reliance on "strengths of schedule" when scheduling is contracted up to ten years in advance is ludicrous.

Archived