• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

College Playoff System: I need it now baby.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

All of the above-mentioned solutions still fail to answer how more than half the teams in college football's top division are essentially locked out of the national championship game despite paying the same NCAA membership fees.

It is not enough to placate non-BCS schools by giving them a backdoor into a BCS game. The system will be made of fail until a playoff featuring every conference champion is developed. The system hands tens of millions of dollars to BCS conferences every year while most non-BCS teams end up losing money on their bowl appearances, sharing the meager $250,000 appearance fee with the other teams in their conference. The cycle continues; BCS schools get richer, non-BCS schools get poorer, and despite all the claims of "parity" there is still an enormous gap in recruiting and training resources. Non-BCS schools are shoved into an NCAA ghetto from which progress is difficult or impossible; teams may emerge for one year in the limelight, but this fact remains:

Non-BCS teams are the only organized sports on the planet that have no chance to win an organizational championship before a single game is played. The reliance on human polls that originate in preseason conjecture, not regular season play, exacerbates this; furthermore, the reliance on "strengths of schedule" when scheduling is contracted up to ten years in advance is ludicrous.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it isn;t an "NCAA championship"  Its BCS.  controlled by bowls not NCAA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  635

the system is basically perfect right now. every game counts.

Not sure it would change.  I'm sure there will be at least 8 undefeated and one loss teams out there.  I'd rather see the 9th team get f-ed out of a chance than the third.

there'd be far more controversy though. not many teams can claim that they are the #1 or #2 team, but plenty of teams can argue that they're the #7 or #8 team. people think this would solve everything, but hardly.

and still the traditional teams would get huge sway over smaller teams.

• Content Count:  1,219

It took a while for someone to use the word controversy.  Doesn’t a mythical champion cause a lot more discussion.  There is more interest during the regular season.  Current system is good for schools (bowl money). 

No system will be perfect.  I would even go back to old days...Big Ten champ vs. Pac-Ten champ in Rose, etc.

• Content Count:  594

All of the above-mentioned solutions still fail to answer how more than half the teams in college football's top division are essentially locked out of the national championship game despite paying the same NCAA membership fees.

It is not enough to placate non-BCS schools by giving them a backdoor into a BCS game. The system will be made of fail until a playoff featuring every conference champion is developed. The system hands tens of millions of dollars to BCS conferences every year while most non-BCS teams end up losing money on their bowl appearances, sharing the meager $250,000 appearance fee with the other teams in their conference. The cycle continues; BCS schools get richer, non-BCS schools get poorer, and despite all the claims of "parity" there is still an enormous gap in recruiting and training resources. Non-BCS schools are shoved into an NCAA ghetto from which progress is difficult or impossible; teams may emerge for one year in the limelight, but this fact remains:

Non-BCS teams are the only organized sports on the planet that have no chance to win an organizational championship before a single game is played. The reliance on human polls that originate in preseason conjecture, not regular season play, exacerbates this; furthermore, the reliance on "strengths of schedule" when scheduling is contracted up to ten years in advance is ludicrous.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it isn;t an "NCAA championship"  Its BCS.  controlled by bowls not NCAA

The NCAA has approval, licensing, and certification control over all bowl games.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

That's why College Football gets as much press and their fans have SOOOOOOOOOOO much passion is because everyone knows...EVERY GAME COUNTS!!

The regular season in college football IS a playoff...whiich is why each game is SOOOOOOOOOO important.

Plus...if it remains status quo...the BCS Conferences get to control 94% plus of all the available bowl $$$$$$ which is what the Presidents/AD's/BCS Commishes care about most.

Worst thing in the world is if College football ended up like MLB, NHL, NBA, or NFL...where any team breathing at the end of the year seems to be in a playoff.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,730
  • Days Won:  3

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

That's why College Football gets as much press and their fans have SOOOOOOOOOOO much passion is because everyone knows...EVERY GAME COUNTS!!

The regular season in college football IS a playoff...whiich is why each game is SOOOOOOOOOO important.

Plus...if it remains status quo...the BCS Conferences get to control 94% plus of all the available bowl $$$$$$ which is what the Presidents/AD's/BCS Commishes care about most.

Worst thing in the world is if College football ended up like MLB, NHL, NBA, or NFL...where any team breathing at the end of the year seems to be in a playoff.

Exactly. There are those who hang onto the belief that "If only the Akron Zips could peak during the playoffs..." would somehow be a benefit to college football. College football is segregated at the IA level and I've yet to hear any non-subjective reasons as to why a playoff system benefits ALL (yes, we must consider specifically the teams currently aligned WITHIN the BCS) IA conferences.

• Content Count:  635

i agree with the basic idea of this post, which is that if you're going to have a playoff, you need to have every team considered.

the problem with the "+1" arguments or the 8 team format or whatever, is that the field is just too small. for me, you either go ultra inclusive and just have the 2 teams pulled from the entire field, or go nuts and have like a 32 or 64 team playoff. 12 at the absolute bare minimum. even with 12, how do you figure who's the 12 teams? go by conference champions? even then, there's only 11 conferences, so one team is going to be a wild card, and that team will most likely be a highly ranked BCS conference team. plenty of controversy there.

so if i were asked to form a playoff system, here's how i'd do it.

16 teams. 11 conference winners (all the conferences) and 5 at-large teams. the 5 at-large teams are picked based on highest ranking in the BCS. based on the current standings in college football, here's who would make the playoff (i'm going to assume the highest ranked team in a conference with two divisions is the winner for now):

Conference champs:

Ohio State

Boston College

LSU

Arizona State

Oklahoma

Hawaii

UConn

BYU

Troy

Houston

Central Michigan

At-large teams:

Oregon (#5 in BCS)

West Virginia (#7 in BCS)

Kansas (#8 in BCS)

Missouri (#9 in BCS)

Georgia (#10 in BCS)

we seed the teams based on BCS ranking. so here's your seeding and matchups for the field:

1. Ohio State

16. Central Michigan

8. Kansas

9. Missouri

5. Oregon

12. Hawaii

4. Arizona State

13. BYU

3. LSU

14. Troy

6. Oklahoma

11. UConn

7. West Virginia

10. Georgia

2. BC

15. Houston

i just took a stab in the dark on the BCS rankings on the teams after UConn btw.

so, just based on what we see here, it's pretty evident that you need to do one of the following things:

1) Win your conference

2) Finish in the top 10 to have a real shot at getting into the playoff

i think with this system, you still have the very important pressure and importance of every regular season game. you get away with losing earlier in the season here, but you do in the current system as well. if the field were any bigger, you'd start to see several 2-loss non-conference champion teams in the field, which isn't a good thing IMO. Georgia is in there, but they play in the toughest conference, so they've earned it more than, say, USC or Virginia Tech. those teams have essentially been eliminated with their two losses. of course, that's looking at today's standings. by the end of the year, they could both move up higher than Kansas or Missouri (one of them has to lose and will probably fall far enough). so it's not PERFECT at keeping those undeserved teams out, but it's good enough methinks.

i think 16 is the number where you hit the perfect balance: you include all the deserved teams, and you don't have an abundance of teams that probably haven't earned the right to play for the title.

there are several notable problems, mainly the fact that you'll be playing as much as 4 extra games, which, while not a lot, can be unfair when you're talking about certain conferences having championships and others not. and naturally, there's going to be a LOT of teams that feel that Georgia doesn't deserve the final at-large bid; VaTech is right behind them, with Michigan, Texas, Alabama, USF, USC, Wisconsin, Boise State, and some others having decent arguments. more teams complaining than if you just kept the current system. oh well.

• Content Count:  85

i agree with the basic idea of this post, which is that if you're going to have a playoff, you need to have every team considered.

the problem with the "+1" arguments or the 8 team format or whatever, is that the field is just too small. for me, you either go ultra inclusive and just have the 2 teams pulled from the entire field, or go nuts and have like a 32 or 64 team playoff. 12 at the absolute bare minimum. even with 12, how do you figure who's the 12 teams? go by conference champions? even then, there's only 11 conferences, so one team is going to be a wild card, and that team will most likely be a highly ranked BCS conference team. plenty of controversy there.

so if i were asked to form a playoff system, here's how i'd do it.

16 teams. 11 conference winners (all the conferences) and 5 at-large teams. the 5 at-large teams are picked based on highest ranking in the BCS. based on the current standings in college football, here's who would make the playoff (i'm going to assume the highest ranked team in a conference with two divisions is the winner for now):

Conference champs:

Ohio State

Boston College

LSU

Arizona State

Oklahoma

Hawaii

UConn

BYU

Troy

Houston

Central Michigan

At-large teams:

Oregon (#5 in BCS)

West Virginia (#7 in BCS)

Kansas (#8 in BCS)

Missouri (#9 in BCS)

Georgia (#10 in BCS)

we seed the teams based on BCS ranking. so here's your seeding and matchups for the field:

1. Ohio State

16. Central Michigan

8. Kansas

9. Missouri

5. Oregon

12. Hawaii

4. Arizona State

13. BYU

3. LSU

14. Troy

6. Oklahoma

11. UConn

7. West Virginia

10. Georgia

2. BC

15. Houston

i just took a stab in the dark on the BCS rankings on the teams after UConn btw.

so, just based on what we see here, it's pretty evident that you need to do one of the following things:

1) Win your conference

2) Finish in the top 10 to have a real shot at getting into the playoff

i think with this system, you still have the very important pressure and importance of every regular season game. you get away with losing earlier in the season here, but you do in the current system as well. if the field were any bigger, you'd start to see several 2-loss non-conference champion teams in the field, which isn't a good thing IMO. Georgia is in there, but they play in the toughest conference, so they've earned it more than, say, USC or Virginia Tech. those teams have essentially been eliminated with their two losses. of course, that's looking at today's standings. by the end of the year, they could both move up higher than Kansas or Missouri (one of them has to lose and will probably fall far enough). so it's not PERFECT at keeping those undeserved teams out, but it's good enough methinks.

i think 16 is the number where you hit the perfect balance: you include all the deserved teams, and you don't have an abundance of teams that probably haven't earned the right to play for the title.

there are several notable problems, mainly the fact that you'll be playing as much as 4 extra games, which, while not a lot, can be unfair when you're talking about certain conferences having championships and others not. and naturally, there's going to be a LOT of teams that feel that Georgia doesn't deserve the final at-large bid; VaTech is right behind them, with Michigan, Texas, Alabama, USF, USC, Wisconsin, Boise State, and some others having decent arguments. more teams complaining than if you just kept the current system. oh well.

awesome ideas all around and id love to see any of these fall throw.  But the one reason it will never happen is because college football is a business and aparantly gets toooo much money from bowl sponsers to pull out.

• Content Count:  4,738

awesome ideas all around and id love to see any of these fall throw.  But the one reason it will never happen is because college football is a business and aparantly gets toooo much money from bowl sponsers to pull out.

captain-obvious.jpg

Archived