• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Running Game????

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

Why don't we see that **** wishbone more often?  Hell, I'd be happy with 2 RB's in the formations.  Running from the shotgun should be more of a novelty, not an offensive staple.  It's like what the play action pass is to the I-formation, great for catching a team off-guard. 

When we lined up in our power running formations, we blasted open some good running lanes in the RU defense, why did we get away from this?  I'm all for letting Grothe run the ball on QB draws, but that should be SECONDARY to the RBs getting carries!  Draws don't work against a blitzing defense, they take too much time to develop and the D meets you in the backfield.  If you're going to run against the blitz, you better be going full speed at them from the snap.  That is where the big running plays we've been missing really develop... if you can beat a blitzing defense past the line of scrimmage, there are usually some big holes open on the field.       

Take a look at EN's video highlights from the Rutgers game.  Almost all of the big runs were from the shotgun formation using that read option (or whatever it is called) dive with the option of Grothe keeping the ball.  Where we tended to fail was with the straight handoff.  It seems to me that the running game is better off when the defense has to read and react to whether Grothe is going to handoff or keep it vs. fake handoff and stand in the pocket.

For those that may know the football terminology a little better, I appologize.

Just my  :2cents

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Why don't we see that **** wishbone more often?  Hell, I'd be happy with 2 RB's in the formations.  Running from the shotgun should be more of a novelty, not an offensive staple.  It's like what the play action pass is to the I-formation, great for catching a team off-guard. 

When we lined up in our power running formations, we blasted open some good running lanes in the RU defense, why did we get away from this?  I'm all for letting Grothe run the ball on QB draws, but that should be SECONDARY to the RBs getting carries!  Draws don't work against a blitzing defense, they take too much time to develop and the D meets you in the backfield.  If you're going to run against the blitz, you better be going full speed at them from the snap.  That is where the big running plays we've been missing really develop... if you can beat a blitzing defense past the line of scrimmage, there are usually some big holes open on the field.       

Take a look at EN's video highlights from the Rutgers game.  Almost all of the big runs were from the shotgun formation using that read option (or whatever it is called) dive with the option of Grothe keeping the ball.  Where we tended to fail was with the straight handoff.  It seems to me that the running game is better off when the defense has to read and react to whether Grothe is going to handoff or keep it vs. fake handoff and stand in the pocket.

For those that may know the football terminology a little better, I appologize.

Just my  :2cents

That is pretty much the way the spread-read-option is supposed to work. 

One thing about the strasight ahead running.  On the few plays Ford ran, even though the midle was stopped up, he still pushed ahead for a couple of yards.  Power running  can work.  Their DL is smallish,  260, 240, 281, 284.  No big boys up front to clog the middle.  25 times running down their throats and pouinding them wouldn't be a bad thing and would open some things up outside.  We better figure out a way to get the running game in gear because there is now a high wind warning expected for around game time.  Weather will be a factor.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We really need to start establishing a runnign game that is not called Matt Grothe. 

Why?  Because without one it is call same thing as last year.  That is not good enough!

• Content Count:  3,827

I think everyone wants Ford to be the guy, but really he is putting it on the ground it seems like every fifth carry.  you can't defend that.  every lost fumble is at least a  free forty yards of offense for the other team.

1 fumble every 17 touches to be exact.  3 fumbles/52 touches.  two fumbles in the WVU game, 1 in the UCF game.  In his best two games, Elon and AU, he didn't fumble the ball.  He pretty much disappears for two games (three weeks), he comes back in for WVU, maybe he's rusty, he coughs it up twice.

Give him 20 carries a game, if he fumbles, that's why we have a great defense.  He's the best RB on the team, give him the ball.

Exactly. Give the man the ball and let him get into a rhythm. All good backs need to get the "feel" of the game, and 1 carry every 3 series isnt going to do that.

Williams has been better than expected, but he's simply not as talented as Ford and/or Taylor.

• Content Count:  139

Obviously we need a balanced offense. The running game needs to imporove to keep opposing defenses honest. The play-action could be lost if we don't.

Archived