• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did anybody hear about this???

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

I've never heard anything about an offer to build a stadium, but I do recall many faculty members saying that John and Grace Allen did not ever want USF to have a football program because they thought that it would hurt acedemics or something like that.  That was the story when I was at USF in the late 80s anyway.

football really huet academics at michigan, and cal -berkley

If you think there was never any debate about academics vs. athletics at Michigan you are crazy.  If you ever want to back up anything you say, check out this book: http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailPraise.do?id=16522

huh?

you missed the point my friend

I understood your point fine.  But of course tons of people (especially academic types) are going to think that athletics takes away from academics.  There are a huge amount of people at UMich that would disagree with you about football hurting academics.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you still missed his point. :)

• Content Count:  1,492

Everyone is missing the point. We need Busch Stadium!

• Content Count:  1,492

Not having our own football stadium wont make our academics better, and having one wont make academics worse. An on-campus stadium will make USF feel like a traditional university and will finally shed the remains of our commuter school label.

• Content Count:  155

john allen wanted an "academic institution" and yet let it just end up a glorified intake house for every community college within 5 counties. usf because just another 4th tier school and the only respectable part of the school for a long time was the cancer research care of the moffit family. the grad schools are getting a lot of love and are climbing the rankings.... the undergraduate schools are still sorely lacking and we remain a 3rd tier instituion because of it

john allen did more harm to this school than good. he set USF back 30 years.

football brings money. money brings facilities. facilities beget better students/teachers... better student/teachers churn out more respect and the school does better

make no mistake. football isnt just a fun sport for the school... when a school wins a national championship its applications (and the  quality of applicants) skyrocket

everyone loves a winner and everyone wants to go to a school percieved as a winner

• Content Count:  1,985

The NCAA allows drinking on on campus facilities. You are thinking of the SEC that does not allow drinking on campus facilities. Fans are allowed to drink beer at the SUNDOME just in case you were wondering, so you can bet that alcohol will be served on campus.

I do stand corrected, and you are correct, maybe I need to lay off a few at the BBall games.. lol

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Just to clarify on this topic.  If a new stadium was built next to the Sundome it would not be allowed to serve alcohol without some sort of exception.  This is because there is a (state, I think) law prohibiting the sale of alcohol within a certain distance of a public school (Pizzo Elementary, for those of you that don't know).  The Sundome is excluded from this rule because it was there first, so it is grandfathered in.  I'm sure there are ways around this with $$$ but it is one obstacle.

• Content Count:  2,461

There is a long ass thread on whether the Sun Dome is actually part of campus...

I believe the answer is that they are technically a separate entity (corporation, I think?).

Just because we can drink in rayjay doesn't mean it is part of campus.

Anyway, find the thread.  ;)

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

There is a long ass thread on whether the Sun Dome is actually part of campus...

I believe the answer is that they are technically a separate entity (corporation, I think?).

Just because we can drink in rayjay doesn't mean it is part of campus.

Anyway, find the thread.  ;)

Not sure if this is directed at me, but I will address it.  Sun Dome is a separate entity, yes, but still affiliated with the school in many ways.  None of that has to do with the law.  They are grandfathered in which is the reason they can sell alcohol so close to the school.

I have seen plenty other threads on this subject.  I can speak with at least some authority as I was on the Sun Dome Board of Directors last year and this was an issue that was discussed.

• Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

In Williamsburg, VA, home of Busch Gardens - Europe, it doesn't seem like the relationship has yet to sully the reputation of William & Mary.

100_0309.sized.jpg

100_0308.sized.jpg

Archived