• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

outcoached.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,077
  • Days Won:  39

I will not speak of the two man rush...  "Two" depressing to remember.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think we got outcoached on the last few series of the game period. 

Schiano made a ballsy call on the fake punt.  That's not really being outcoached it is almost a sign of desperation.  his season was on the line with a loss so he pulled out all the stops early.  We were not outcoached on the fake field goal.  Our guys were ready for it.  It was covered.  They just made a terrific catch and great catch for the TD.  That is not being outcoached.  They made the play.

Our defense was not outcoached.  Actually, despite Ray Rices numbers, that was an interesting cat and mouse game all night.  We knew they wanted to run up the middle to start.  We dared them to beat us on the edge.  They were successful.  We readjusted and took that away from them and they pounded up the middle with Rice.  38carries is a hell of a lot of carries.  later in the game we took that away again and made them settle for short gains on 1st and 2nd and forced Teel to make the 1st on 3rd down.

On passing plays we took the outside away from, but they hit short over the middle passes.  We took that away later on.  Teel was a whopping 11 for 29.  37%  Except for a missed tackle and long ruin from that, we only gave up 2 TDs to their offense and forced FG attempts.  We were definitely not outcoached on defense.

Where we were outcoached was in the second half when they blitzed.  Even then, for a while we were beating it with a few short quick hitters and throwing to the blitizing side where coverage was vacated.  They confused Grothe and Gregory on those last three series.  We got outcoached during crunch time.  Thats it.  However, it was enough to cost the ballgame in my opinion.

• Content Count:  40
  • Days Won:  0

First let say that my biased opinion is that CJL is the best coach in CFB.  I could not think of anybody else coaching USF.

Last night was just 1 game, and in that 1 game CJL and staff were out coached.  We played poor special teams. mediocre (by USF standards) defense, decent (by USF standards) offense.

Rutgers offensive game plan was no real surprise, they just executed better and it took us too long into the game to make adjustments.  Then again I also wonder what may of happened in the 2nd had Rice not carried the ball almost 70 times in the past 5 days, maybe fresher legs and from a Rutger's POV they run the ball on 2nd & 5 (that is the only reason I could come up with why they did not do that).

USF offense looked good in th 1st half, then Rutgers made halftime adjustments and we did not make adjustments in the 2nd half.  No slant patterns, bubble screens, and giving up on running the ball with a running back.

As for special teams obviously we had our failures, poor kick coverage, and punt pressure (need to pressure the kicking leg side when they do rugby punts and blocked and missed FG.  But we also made plays blocking a FG and 2 fumble recoveries.

Rutgers played probably as good as they can play except for their 2 droped punts and even with all this (plus poor calls) we still had a chance to win.

The fact is good teams find a way to win... last night Rutgers was the better team.  There is only 1 excuse for a lose and that is not winning.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I am still waiting for the quick slant.  That would have been guaranteed points.  Every receiver was one on one.

I take that back, I forgot our WRs don't have they greatest hands.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I agree 100%.........we were outcoached.

My friend and I acknowledged so on the way out of the stadium.

Gregory needs to be a "one-and-done."

Need to start shopping for an offensive coordinator RIGHT NOW.  And not another one from inside the program, please!

Archived