• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe needs to take less sacks. Who deserves the blame for the loss?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  377
  • Days Won:  0

A lot of times last night Grothe took dumb sacks because it appeared he thought he could outrun their defensive players. Also, there were a couple of times he sat in the pocket looking to pass for almost 10 seconds and then got sacked (one time when Rutgers only rushed two down linemen). Our offensive line can't block forever.  If our receivers are not open after 10 seconds either run or throw it away.  He's young and he still has a lot to learn. I know he's talented as hell but I think last night he just tried to do too much and it resulted in some sacks that really hurt our field position!  I don't blame him for the loss because I feel it was a collective effort by the entire team.

Amari Jackson dropped passes.

Coaches play calling on both offense and defense was suspect.

Special teams played like crap.

Stupid penalties cost us a lot of yards.

Referees made some bad calls.

It's just a collective losing effort. We did not bring our A game tonight and so I wouldn't blame it on one or two players or coaches. I blame every single player that had a uniform last night. 

We'll be allright. We'll rebound well against UCONN.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  245

The loss of Walter Walker on the offensive line was huge. Once he went out it was open season on Grothe. I agree that Grothe should not have taken a lot of those sacks, but the protection was also pretty pour once Walker was out of the game. I still think his injury was a definite reason why USF lost this game.

• Content Count:  21,077
  • Days Won:  39

He needs to take less sacks but his style of play has won us game after game.  I don't hold that against him as must as the playcalling and use of players.

• Content Count:  635

i'm not blaming Grothe for all those sacks, necessarily. simply because he's been doing great with all the scrambling in the backfield all year. but when he has to do it EVERY PLAY, then chances are it's just not going to work.

coaches should've made more adjustments to all the blizting.

• Content Count:  21,077
  • Days Won:  39

i'm not blaming Grothe for all those sacks, necessarily. simply because he's been doing great with all the scrambling in the backfield all year. but when he has to do it EVERY PLAY, then chances are it's just not going to work.

coaches should've made more adjustments to all the blizting.

Yeah I think that's the story of the game really.  You just watch them get destroyed play after play.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The loss of Walker had a lot to do with the blocking issues in the second half.

But I like to place all blame on smazza, just because.  :)

• Content Count:  12,293

why does the blame have to be placed on anyone.

cant we just give credit to rutgers for winning.

mistakes happen in EVERY game, win or lose.

when you lose those mistakes are magnified.  when you win those mistakes are ignored.

• Content Count:  2,511

What Grothe should do is find a new idol.  Brett Favre?  meh.  He went to Southern Miss.  Enough said.

He should watch films of Dan Marino.  This is a guy with feet of stone, yet he always knew where the defenders were, and he would avoid sacks by making a few shuffle steps here and there.

Last year Grothe was veru Marino-esque.  Just like Marino throughout 99.99% of his career when he would find a way to win just on his sheer will and determination for less than stellar Dophins teams, Grothe did the same thing for last year's Bulls.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

You can't really blame the game on any one aspect.

Our coaching was suspect as you said but you can't blame the coaches for the players not making plays (like catching easy balls). The coaches coach and the players play.

Archived