• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I don't like our RB by committee

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  400
  • Days Won:  0

anyone else feel this way?  It feels like no RB can get in any kind of rhythm.  I dont know what's going on with Ford, but I just don't get why he doesnt get the ball more.  I think Ben Williams is an on-or-off RB.. he's either in the zone or he's not.  And I havent really seen much from Taylor.  Ford is the only thing consistent, but he fumbles too often.  Regardless, I think 1 should get the bulk of the carries.  I think why each one is having their problems is because they are not getting in rhythm.  anyone else agree?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

they're all situational backs.

Ford is a great runner between the tackles and cutting outside, but his blocking and catching need work... not to mention his ball protection.

Taylor is slightly better blocker than Ford, but not quite as dynamic a runner and not nearly as big.

Ben is the most well rounded... can block and catch, but not as dynamic as Ford.

our committee approach uses them all in the best situations for them as backs... but Ben is the best all around back we have, and the most reliable in protecting the ball, which is why he gets most of the touches.

personally i think we need more two-back sets to add some variation to our plays and keep the defense off balance.  when Grothe lines up under center and Ford is in the backfield, everybody knows it's gonna be run.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Hard to argue with 6 wins and 0 losses.  I'm OK with it with these results, can I get an AMEN?

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

anyone else feel this way?  It feels like no RB can get in any kind of rhythm.  I dont know what's going on with Ford, but I just don't get why he doesnt get the ball more.  I think Ben Williams is an on-or-off RB.. he's either in the zone or he's not.  And I havent really seen much from Taylor.  Ford is the only thing consistent, but he fumbles too often.  Regardless, I think 1 should get the bulk of the carries.  I think why each one is having their problems is because they are not getting in rhythm.  anyone else agree?

I respectfully disagree.....Ford has the potential of being a great back....he was out of the game too long...he has to get back to being a football player, not just a running back......he obviously is having problems holding onto the ball.....turnovers killed us last year against Rutgers....Ben is by far our best back at the moment.....i think we will see Ford bring the pain in a couple of games....we are going to get blitzed all night long....Ben can chip and cut those linebackers down....Ford is whiffing on blocks as well as putting the ball on the ground....he is a phenom...just needs to become a football player once again...he'll get there very soon....just takes time....with Rutgers guys being so tall, Ben will get lost behind our line and split though.....however, if we show we are dominating the line....its time to drive the F350 right at them....he can demoralize them.....however, one drop of the ball and see ya later....Rutgers kicking game is just too good to lose the field position game.....I want nothing more than to see Ford tearing it up....but Ford plays to his competition instead of being a consitant runner....so I see him stepping his game up if given the chance this week....

• Content Count:  75

Question:

How many losses are we willing to take to get one guy the majority of the carries. If the answer is 0 then we keep doing what's got us this far. I would like to see Ford blow up and take over too, but not if he is going to cost us a game. If we are really hell bent on having one guy get the bulk of the carries then it's got to be Ben. I'd hate to lose the carries from Ford and we really need to give him a few carries to get him ready for the future. But if we had to have ONE back then it has to be Ben because he is the only one that can protect Grothe(currently). JMHO

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

it seems to work for us and you can't expect one guy to carry the full load the whole time. Ben did some great work in the FAU game-- and he was sharing the load with Taylor until he got hurt.

Look at it this way-- it works for WVU (well, most of the time) with Slaton, Schmidt and Devine

• Content Count:  4,738

I've hated it too, but like someone said, its hard to argue with the results.

• Content Count:  400

if i'm not mistaken, but Grothe is our leading rusher.  sure, it's worked so far, but we all know that it's not healthy to have your QB lead your team in rushing.  granted, the RB's combined have more yds than matt, but i'd rather have our RB's in rhythm with rushing than our QB.  we all see what has happened to that school just up I-75 (UF) in terms of the QB leading the team in rushing.

• Content Count:  1,457

Remember this works to our advantage - and big time!  The defense must plan for any one of 4-5 backs running at any given time (add in Grothe and Taurus Johnson - sometimes on swing stuff) and that is an insane situation.

Get ready - All RB's kick it up a knotch tonight V Rutgers - NJ boys

Archived