• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I don't like our RB by committee

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

if i'm not mistaken, but Grothe is our leading rusher.  sure, it's worked so far, but we all know that it's not healthy to have your QB lead your team in rushing.  granted, the RB's combined have more yds than matt, but i'd rather have our RB's in rhythm with rushing than our QB.  we all see what has happened to that school just up I-75 (UF) in terms of the QB leading the team in rushing.

Having Grothe as our leading rusher is not a cause for concern.  His rushing yards are by design.  If this offense was built for a pocket passer, having our quarterback as the leading rusher would be a problem.  What is more important(IMO) is that the quarterback position is not our leading rusher.  The running back by committee trio has rushing totals of 648 yards.  That's almost double of Grothe.  So the statistics are a little misleading with a runningback by committee. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,297

Committee seems to be working good so far....

Average rushing yards per game:

USF    180.5 / 36th

RUT    182.2 / 33rd

Rushing yards this season:

USF    1,083 yards

RUT    1,093 yards

GO BULLS!!!!!

• Content Count:  223

Rotating three guys in and out keeps opposing defenses honest. It also opens up the play action pass. Ford is a big, physical back who will not go down without a fight. Williams is a smaller guy with great blocking ability. Don't know what to make of Taylor yet, but he looked pretty solid also.

Another reason for keeping Williams in is his ability to catch out of the backfield. He may have the best hands on the team.

• Content Count:  400

just wanted to bump this thread.. i think ford should be our 1st and 2nd down back, ben williams a 3rd down back.

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

I wouldn't mind a committee of Ford and Williams but that's what I have been preaching since they took Ford out of the equation.  Also Ford and Williams work as a two back set but I guess we won't use that.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

anyone else feel this way?  It feels like no RB can get in any kind of rhythm.  I dont know what's going on with Ford, but I just don't get why he doesnt get the ball more.  I think Ben Williams is an on-or-off RB.. he's either in the zone or he's not.  And I havent really seen much from Taylor.  Ford is the only thing consistent, but he fumbles too often.  Regardless, I think 1 should get the bulk of the carries.  I think why each one is having their problems is because they are not getting in rhythm.  anyone else agree?

who does?

but none of them look any good

usf doesnt have a running game and hasnt since andre hall.

running game isnt in usf offense

usf offense is-------GROTHE RIGHT;GROTHE LEFT;GROTHE THROWS JUMP BALL

it seems to work for us and you can't expect one guy to carry the full load the whole time. Ben did some great work in the FAU game-- and he was sharing the load with Taylor until he got hurt.

Look at it this way-- it works for WVU (well, most of the time) with Slaton, Schmidt and Devine

HUH

MOST TEAMS have one rb carrying the load

it worked better for rutgers last night

last night we needed one back  to perform

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

it seems to work for us and you can't expect one guy to carry the full load the whole time. Ben did some great work in the FAU game-- and he was sharing the load with Taylor until he got hurt.

Look at it this way-- it works for WVU (well, most of the time) with Slaton, Schmidt and Devine

HUH

MOST TEAMS have one rb carrying the load

it worked better for rutgers last night

last night we needed one back  to perform

If we had Ray Rice he would be carrying the load.

they're all situational backs.

Ford is a great runner between the tackles and cutting outside, but his blocking and catching need work... not to mention his ball protection.

Taylor is slightly better blocker than Ford, but not quite as dynamic a runner and not nearly as big.

Ben is the most well rounded... can block and catch, but not as dynamic as Ford.

our committee approach uses them all in the best situations for them as backs... but Ben is the best all around back we have, and the most reliable in protecting the ball, which is why he gets most of the touches.

personally i think we need more two-back sets to add some variation to our plays and keep the defense off balance.  when Grothe lines up under center and Ford is in the backfield, everybody knows it's gonna be run.

but they cant run ball in the situation like last night where usf needed a rb to gain yards

same old usf offense. NO RUNNING GAME AT CRUCCIAL TIME

ELON.FAU/  FTU/OU/OC/UNC ARE NOT RUTGERS.

THE ONE DIMENSION STUFF DOESNT WORK AGAINST  a good defensive team or coach like schiano

Committee seems to be working good so far....

Average rushing yards per game:

USF    180.5 / 36th

RUT    182.2 / 33rd

Rushing yards this season:

USF    1,083 yards

RUT    1,093 yards

GO BULLS!!!!!

didnt work last not against emmmmmmmmmmmmmm  RUTGERS

AND IT WONT WORK AGAINST GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAMS

Archived