• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USA Today: Critics take early shots at South Florida

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

Critics take early shots at South Florida

By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY

The criticism of No. 5 South Florida began even before Sunday's release of the first Bowl Championship Series rankings. On Fox's NFL pregame show last weekend, former Miami Hurricanes coach Jimmy Johnson said USF doesn't belong in the Top 5. He also said there are several two-loss teams that could wear the Bulls out.

"That comment (upset) me pretty good," said USF quarterback Matt Grothe. "But I won't get into that. I think that has to do with us only being around for 11 years, and Miami was around for ever and ever and ever." Grothe said some traditionalists can't accept the Bulls speedy arrival since it took much longer for others to reach the national stage.

Saturday, the Bulls (5-0) host rival Central Florida (3-2) before only the second sellout crowd in program history. If the Bulls win, they are expected to be in the top five when the first BCS rankings are released. This week, CollegeBCS.com has USF ranked No. 4 in its BCS projections with a No. 2 average computer poll ranking. Next Thursday, the Bulls travel to Rutgers.

Says analyst Jerry Palm of CollegeBCS.com: "As long as you stay undefeated you have a shot (at contending for the BCS title), because the reality is we don't really have many years where you have more than two undefeated teams. Because USF is not a blue blood, people don't feel they belong, and that's unfair."

USF has already beaten Auburn, North Carolina and West Virginia. However, its only remaining ranked opponent is No. 17 Cincinnati. If the Bulls continue to win, expect the criticism and questions about whether they belong to intensify. "If people want to say that, I can't do much about it," said Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese. "We have a BCS poll, and the poll is computerized, and it will kick in who you play and your strength of schedule, and South Florida's schedule will match up with anyone."

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  2

I had to look up *blue blood*. 

I like it. 

I think I'll use it.

Does the fact that we are not a blue blood make us part of the nouveau riche? :D

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

We may only face one more ranked opponent, but the schedule is not easy at all. We still have road games against Piitsburgh, and Rutgers and neither of those places are easy to win at. Louisville was expected to compete for a national title in the preseason, and still have one of the nation's most potent offenses. Even Connecticut isn't an easy place to play at, they beat the Bulls at home in 2005 had the Bulls won that game they would have been playing West Virginia for the Big East title.

So if we are able to go undefeated there is no way we should not make the BCS Title game unless there are 2 other undefeated teams and to be honest even if Ohio State undefeated their schedule does not come anywhere close to matching up to us. Their non-conference was a joke, and the Big Ten is horrible this year. Boston College doesn't deserve to be ahead of us either, they also have a joke non-conference and the ACC is a weaker conference than the Big East. Cal has a case, but they have to get by USC and Arizona State first and that wont be easy.

I'm not going to start making national title game plans though, the Bulls are only 1-0 in the Big East right now.

• Content Count:  356

I'm starting to really enjoy this whole bit about people feeling like we don't belong yet...So, I decided that a Caddyshack line "Let's face it son, some people just don't belong", or an Animal House line was appropriate.  Decided on AH...

Animal House Line:

"Let the unacceptable candidate wory about that, because after tomorrow they're....you are...Kent!"

I'd really like to attach a photo, so if someone can tell me how to do that, it would be appreciated...

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

We may only face one more ranked opponent, but the schedule is not easy at all. We still have road games against Piitsburgh, and Rutgers and neither of those places are easy to win at. Louisville was expected to compete for a national title in the preseason, and still have one of the nation's most potent offenses. Even Connecticut isn't an easy place to play at, they beat the Bulls at home in 2005 had the Bulls won that game they would have been playing West Virginia for the Big East title.

So if we are able to go undefeated there is no way we should not make the BCS Title game unless there are 2 other undefeated teams and to be honest even if Ohio State undefeated their schedule does not come anywhere close to matching up to us. Their non-conference was a joke, and the Big Ten is horrible this year. Boston College doesn't deserve to be ahead of us either, they also have a joke non-conference and the ACC is a weaker conference than the Big East. Cal has a case, but they have to get by USC and Arizona State first and that wont be easy.

I'm not going to start making national title game plans though, the Bulls are only 1-0 in the Big East right now.

not for nuthin, but we lost to UConn on the road in 2005, on a very cold day (by sunshine state standards).

as a matter of fact, i was sitting in the front of the South Endzone when we played them last year, and as the Bulls came out i heard one of them yelling "it was 30 degrees when we played them last year!!!" then of course they went on to treat the Huskies like their name was Mike Vick.

two things:

1) i'm originally from Mass, and October 27th in New England should be chilly, but not nearly as cold as that November day in 2005.

2) if UConn finds a way to win its next two games, they might very well be ranked when we play them. Virginia is rolling right now at 5-1 and ranked 26 in the coaches and 33 in AP. that would be a big OOC win for the Huskies... and a win against Louisville at home is still a good win for them, regardless of the 'Ville's current struggles.

never can tell...

people see the fall of Rutgers and Louisville as signs that the Big East is "weak," but in reality it's a sign of our depth.  USF, Cincy and UConn are all undefeated, WVU is still a powerhouse, Rutgers is still just a few votes out of the Top 25, and Louisville is just waiting to play spoiler.

USF = #5

WVU = #8

Cinci = #15

Rutgers = #30

UConn = #32

5 of the BE's 8 teams are in the Top 35.  Louisville and Pitt can still bite teams in the ass and play spoiler.  not an easy schedule by any means.

• Content Count:  143

If Ohio State wins out they are obviously better than us.  They are the defending runners up to the national championship and they dominated the National Championship game last year for the first 15 seconds.  They will have to defeat one or two teams that should end the year ranked 15 to 25.  They will have to win at Michigan and they have a really-really big stadium that they dominated Notre Dame in.  I can't understand what the debate would be. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

If Ohio State wins out they are obviously better than us.   They are the defending runners up to the national championship and they dominated the National Championship game last year for the first 15 seconds.  They will have to defeat one or two teams that should end the year ranked 15 to 25.  They will have to win at Michigan and they have a really-really big stadium that they dominated Notre Dame in.   I can't understand what the debate would be. 

sadly OSU would get the nod over USF.

But the non-biased Computers would have us ahead of OSU

Archived