• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPNU says: "Stock UP for Grothe"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

Realistically...any heisman talk is premature. However, getting Matt's name out there now will be priceless pub for a heisman run should he have a great senior year. Sophmores don't typically win the Heisman..much less from a non-traditional school. It's nice to get the attention for now though...despite how shaky the offense has been at times this year.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  403

That show also referred to the QB of Kansas as "the Matt Grothe of the heartland".  So, it was a compliment having them refer to an emerging qb as being like Matt.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Sophmores don't typically win the Heisman...

All the proof you need for that is the year Rex Grossman had his Heisman Trophy stolen by Eric Crouch of Nebraska.

I guess the conventional wisdom was, "Hey, Grossman will win it next year.  He'll put up even more gaudy stats than he did this season."

Little did they know the resignation of Spurrier and the hiring of Zook was right around the corner.

Zook & his crappy staff ruined Grossman's junior season, then he went pro.

Eric Crouch was one of the least qualified -- if not THE least qualified -- Heisman winners in history.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,490
  • Days Won:  13

It should have been

1. Grossman

2. Dorsey

3. Couch

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,490
  • Days Won:  13

Crouch

• Content Count:  2,461

I like the posts that start with "Not for X games/months/years".

About the same talk we all heard before this season as far as being ranked or winning the Big East (though that one has yet to happen).

• Content Count:  488

Grothe will continue to develop into an all-world QB over the next couple years, but he's just not there yet.  his passing numbers aren't anywhere near the likes of Woodson, Brohm, Ryan, Brennan (pre-injury), etc., and his scrambling numbers don't keep up with guys like White or Teabag.

of course, his intangibles-- toughness, elusiveness, and drive to win-- are impecable. 

but Heisman voters don't care about intangibles any more than poll voters do... they want big numbers and lights out performances.

As a fan of this football team and a fan of MG...this is all I care about in a QB:  toughness, elusiveness, and drive to win.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Meanwhile, the Big East is still running their Brohm/Slaton/White/Rice commercial.  Ugh.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It is nice to see Matt getting props and even talk about the Heisman, but a bit early I think.  If he is still getting the love next year and in 2009 I could see him being in the running.  He has a lot of things going for him, and of course, I would love to see him there.  But as the saying going, "Patience grasshopper".

Archived