• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPNU says: "Stock UP for Grothe"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

In the Heisman running.  Their explanation was due to him showing that he can do it on the ground when he cant in the air.  All he needs is a big game for both and he could be THE front-runner.

This has to be a positive thing considering he has had technically the two WORST passing games of his career back-to-back.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

we all love matt, but this is a bit pre-mature...esp considering how ugly the offense has been.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

A perfect game by MG vs UCF would not get him frontrunner status. 

But i'd like to see what type of attention it would get :)

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

A perfect game by MG vs UCF would not get him frontrunner status. 

But i'd like to see what type of attention it would get :)

It would generate some, at least on ESPN if no where else.  They will want to hype up Matt going into our Thursday nighter against Rugters.  Gotta play us up for ratings. 

Guest JulmisteForPrez

we all love matt, but this is a bit pre-mature...esp considering how ugly the offense has been.

I agree.

Great games for the next 4-5 weeks gets him in the chase.

Short of that, not so much.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe will continue to develop into an all-world QB over the next couple years, but he's just not there yet.  his passing numbers aren't anywhere near the likes of Woodson, Brohm, Ryan, Brennan (pre-injury), etc., and his scrambling numbers don't keep up with guys like White or Teabag.

of course, his intangibles-- toughness, elusiveness, and drive to win-- are impecable. 

but Heisman voters don't care about intangibles any more than poll voters do... they want big numbers and lights out performances.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I think the best dual threat QB in the country right now is Chase Daniel at Missouri.  He's just a junior and will be around next year plus he and Matt are about the same physical size.  Grothe's game will have to be similar to Chase Daniel's (Ben Mauk and Chris Dixon are having stellar years but both are seniors) to ever be considered for the Heisman, i.e. nearly 70% completion ratio, 12 TDs to 2 Ints, and 5 rushing TD's, 5.5 yd/rush/avg..  Matt's having a bit of a sophomore jinx kind of year concerning numbers only, obviously he's doing enough to win the games we have played.  This Heisman talk along with NC talk is all way too premature.

• Content Count:  261

Matt's numbers could be better if some of the receivers would play harder. Hester and Denson (this may explain why we don't see a lot of him) seem to go at half-speed on a lot plays.  Matt could also help himself by making better reads and throws. Grothe needs to let the passing routes develop before locking in on a target. He overthrew Hester against Elon and FAU. However, to Grothe's defense, Hester attempted the catch waaay too early (FAU). Hester had 1-2 steps to make before making a play on the ball. I miss S.J. and Ean. Taurus needs a touchdown.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Matt's numbers could be better if some of the receivers would play harder. Hester and Denson (this may explain why we don't see a lot of him) seem to go at half-speed on a lot plays.  Matt could also help himself by making better reads and throws. Grothe needs to let the passing routes develop before locking in on a target. He overthrew Hester against Elon and FAU. However, to Grothe's defense, Hester attempted the catch waaay too early (FAU). Hester had 1-2 steps to make before making a play on the ball. I miss S.J. and Ean. Taurus needs a touchdown.

And don't forget, the FAU Hester attempt was WITH THE WIND.  It was Grothe's first long pass with the wind. 

• Content Count:  261

Very true, velcro. I hate the feeling leading up to the game every week. That bye week after auburn was the longest 2 weeks of my football watching life. Our boys will be ready this week.

Archived