• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tim Brando and Saban/USF on 1010

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  444
  • Days Won:  0

He opened the show up tonight at 7:00 talking about Saban's comments about South Florida.  He read Saban's quote about the player distribution not being equal and USF having 6 non-qualifiers on defense and that not all schools have the same qualification standards.

Brando said that Saban should not have said it, but the statement Saban made was TRUE.  I believe this show is heard across the nation. 

If the statement made about USF is not true, then someone armed with facts and charisma needs to call in now and set it straight because a lot of people heard that.

From what I understand, the qualifications standards are not consistent but they happen to be lower for SEC than BE.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,013

Sportcenter, which has a bigger audience addressed it.  They stated the facts as JL stated them.  Called Saban's statment sour grapes

• Content Count:  157

What sportcenter (time)? I would like to see that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

I can confirm Sports Center did that-- Todd Shay backed us up all the way

• Content Count:  10,219

BAMA...great academics..never been on NCAA probation...not once, not twice, not even three times.

what a dufus!

• Content Count:  105

Timmy B...

It's Mike Pepper here in Tampa, the PD of 1010 Sports, your Sporting News affiliate... I'm also the sideline reporter for USF Football, so I am very familiar with Coach Leavitt and the program

In Tampa, we record your show on days/nights we don't carry Yankees baseball or an NCAA football game or the Jim Leavitt show... I think your show, with a lot of knowledge on football in the South, makes more sense for our area than Arnie's and his Pac-10 focus...

Of the 15 hours you b'cast each week, we get anywhere from 0-9 or 10 of those hours... tonight, in your 4pm hour that aired in the 7pm here, you addressed the Saban comments on USF... from what I heard and understood, you said it was wrong of Coach Saban for him to say what he did, even though it was correct... here is where I, and Coach Leavitt, took exception... when Coach Leavitt was asked about the comments, he was adamant the information was incorrect and that USF has only 2 non-qualifiers on the team, one starter and one reserve, and both of those are on schedule to graduate... while you and I agree it was completely out of line for Saban to bring up USF, it was an even more egregious error for him to be WRONG!... unfortunately, some people will take Saban at his word and consider him speaking the "truth", albeit out of place for bringing it up

Even though we only have one hour of your show scheduled to run the rest of this week (Friday 4pm hour), I would hope you would correct the improper and incorrect statement on your airwaves... you don't have to take my word for it, please ask someone in the athletic department, 813.974.2125, the SID is Chris Freet... I am only relaying what I learned at the USF press conference on Tuesday

I know you have a relationship with Saban, but this was an uncalled for, and blatantly false, below the belt shot to the midsection of a coach and program that has done a remarkable job to achieve what they have to date...

Thank you for your time, and again, if you could, please do a little research on this subject and, if you deem it necessary, correct the misinformation coming from Tuscaloosa about the upstart program that has Nick Saban so concerned (and maybe jealous).

Mike Pepper

APD WQYK-AM 1010 Sports

Mornings 7-9am 1010 Sports

Promotions WQYK-FM 99.5

9721 Executive Center Dr #200

St Petersburg, FL 33702

O- 727.563.8949

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Wow, I have never liked Timmy B, but, this is unprofessional.  Thanks Mike Pepper for informing Timmy B of his error.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Anyone know if Mike's show is aired in the Melbourne (Orlando?) market?  I think I just found a new favorite sport's radio host.

Archived