• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Washington Post: After Shocking Upsets, It's Homely at the Top

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

After Shocking Upsets, It's Homely at the Top

Sunday, September 30, 2007; Page D13

A stunning weekend in which six teams in the top 11 lost dramatically changed the season's complexion and will have wide-ranging implications for both the national championship and Heisman Trophy races.

All schools from the Big 12 and Big East have been eliminated from the national championship discussion, barring unforeseen events. Neither conference figures to have an undefeated or one-loss team ranked high enough to stay in the hunt with juggernauts from the Pacific-10 or Southeastern Conference.

Losses by Rutgers, West Virginia and Texas were surprising, but Oklahoma's loss at Colorado and Florida's home loss to Auburn were the most jaw-dropping and significant results of the season's wildest weekend. Until yesterday, the Sooners had looked dominant enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Southern California and Louisiana State.

Next Saturday's Red River Shootout between Oklahoma and Texas becomes a Red River Letdown after both traditional powers suffered defeats against usually inferior Big 12 North Division opponents. The Oklahoma-Texas game now has as much appeal as Saturday's Missouri-Nebraska showdown that will help decide the North Division.

Undefeated South Florida, now a Big East favorite, should rise considerably in the polls, but its national title hopes are slim. Historically, teams that start the season unranked have too far to climb to be serious national contenders.

What's more, it would have benefited the Bulls to have at least one other highly ranked Big East team left on the schedule. But the Big East's Big Three -- West Virginia, Louisville and Rutgers -- all have displayed fatal flaws. The Oct. 18 game between South Florida and Rutgers has Big East implications, but not necessarily national title ramifications anymore.

In a sense, yesterday was the season opener for a Scarlet Knights team playing against its first opponent from a power conference this season. It showed. Maryland shut down running back Ray Rice in the second half, all but ruining his chance to win the Heisman.

The Heisman hopes for West Virginia's Patrick White and Steve Slaton also were significantly weakened after White was injured against South Florida on Friday and Slaton was slowed. The Heisman campaign of Louisville's Brian Brohm already had been hurt by two surprising losses.

ad_icon

A conference that had four Heisman hopefuls at the start of the season now has virtually none. But the season, only one month old, has had no shortage of unexpected twists.

Link to Story

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

After USC looses next week and Florida picks off LSU - We will be poised for a run at the National Title!

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Let's be realistic, we do NOT have the juice to play for the national title this year.  However, if we do the same thing next year, I think we can build off this year's juice to make it there.

• Content Count:  993

Personally I don't care about National Championship talk.  I think I've caught the Leavitt disease cause I am just ready to play FAU and move to 5-0. 

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Talk about a National Championship game is fun, no doubt!  I don't think we really have a shot at it this year, but I really think being Big East Champs is a definite possibility.  As the coach says, 1 game at a time!

GO BULLS!!

• Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

Let's be realistic, we do NOT have the juice to play for the national title this year.  However, if we do the same thing next year, I think we can build off this year's juice to make it there.

Losing our top two DTs and our top two Cornerbacks after this year.....I think we will take a step back next year before taking two steps forward in 2009

• Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

Just keep winnng and let everythingelse fall into place. we cant worry about what the media says. We need to focus on winning.

So right now FAU is on the clock.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

A thoroughly successful 2007 will be a BE championship.  I'll take it, love it, and celebrate it.  We are not ready to play for an NC.  Not until the offense gets it together.

• Content Count:  198

Winning the Big East is a long way off, however a decent bowl game is not. We may lose a game or two this year but as long as it is not the next game we have a very good shot. (by next game I'm not talking about FAU, but the next game every week). Go Bulls Beat the Owls

• Content Count:  172

Focus Focus. FAU is our next most important game of the season. We need to win at FAU so that we can set up the next most important game of the year. You gotta love it. It is hard to believe that we are so fortunate to be able to experience this team. Go Bulls!!

Archived